Josh Carlton announcing tomorrow | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton announcing tomorrow

Reaction Score
I was very surprised to see Houston on that list. Wish him the best no matter where he chooses!

Edit: To be clear, I meant I was surprised to see Houston because I hadn’t seen his name tied to Houston at all. I was literally surprised. Not because Houston has a good program.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Would be intrigued to see Josh in ACC or on Houston. Good for him, wherever he goes he’ll help out both on and off the court.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I was very surprised to see Houston on that list. Wish him the best no matter where he chooses!
why? josh is a superior player and Houston has a superior team. just because he didn't 'fit' into our current scheme doesn't mean he won't fit nicely into another high major program with another brand name coach. as a big fan of his, i hope houston is the place.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Weird list.

Wake, East Carolina and Pitt basically got wrecked via the portal and he doesn’t really fit in well with whatever Houston does.

Reaction Score
why? josh is a superior player and Houston has a superior team. just because he didn't 'fit' into our current scheme doesn't mean he won't fit nicely into another high major program with another brand name coach. as a big fan of his, i hope houston is the place.
I didn’t mean it like that. i meant i hadn’t seen his name tied to Houston at all. All the schools on the list are high majors.

I had already seen his name tied to Pitt/Wake/ECU on social media. I meant it was news to me AKA it was surprising.

Reaction Score

I think he starts and gets a ton of minutes at Pittsburgh. May not win there but playing against top competition can help him earn a check in Europe. Classy kid who deserves a good life. Always felt he was a lunch pail/hard hat kind of player.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wish him well wherever he ends up. I do think Pitt or Wake offer the best chance to play against top competition

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am a HUGE fan of the grad transfer rule, and I think it makes sense for Josh to move on. I have no idea how a player picks a school in the free for all that is the transfer portal. Josh doesn't know whether he is one of 2 centers or one of 4 at any of these schools, because there is no way to tell who is coming and who is going.

Reaction Score
It's clear Houston is the best fit in a lot of ways, but here's a breakdown of each team and how Carlton matches in team fit, ease of rooting, chance of postseason play.

Houston:
  • Team Fit: Very good. This year, Houston didn't play any players like Carlton (true bigs), but their three "bigs", Fabian White, Brison Greshan and Justin Gorham, are seniors and there's no news yet on whether they will return, transfer or simply graduate. Their '21 class includes Montverde grad Ja'Vier Francis so Carlton provides Francis an elder mentor to learn from.
  • Ease of Rooting: No problem. I don't care for most AAC teams, but I've learned to respect and even "like" Houston over the last four years
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very high.
Wake Forest:
  • Team Fit: Not great. Incoming junior Ody Oguama had a solid sophomore season (7.6p, 5.4r, 21.9 mpg) while incoming Tarique Ingraham played very well before sitting out the season for Covid precations (11p, 2.5r, but just two games). Carlton would be a welcome addition as a mentor for a young frontcourt, but at best chance he'd be a backup big with two other promising bigs on roster. If Carlton has any interest in coaching, could be a great spot to become a "player/coach" supporting the two developing bigs.
  • Ease of Rooting: Pretty high. Wake Forest are the underdogs of the ACC amidst a rebuild under lovable former ETSU coach Steve Forbes. I personally find his attempt at a rebuild interesting and would enjoy following the team this year.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low
East Carolina:
  • Team Fit: Excellent. Bigs Charles Coleman and Jayden Gardner transferred and Edra Luster grad transferred. Incoming senior Ludgy Debault averaged just 15.6 mpg while incoming sophomore Derrick Quansah didn't play. No bigs in their '21 class, so a strong chance Carlton could start right away.
  • Ease of Rooting: Not bad. While I hated playing East Carolina, I had no reason to dislike the team. Joe Dooley's squad actually played decently last season (KenPom 155) and I'd support them as an AAC spoiler.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low.
Pitt:
  • Team Fit: Very good. Senior big Terrell Brown grad transferred to San Diego, Coulibaly transferred to St. Bonaventure. Pittsburgh returns two incoming sophomore bigs John Hugley (who was suspended last season and hasn't played since 12/22) and Max Amadasun (4 games played). Based on that, at worst, Carlton will have a backup job with the chance of starting depending on the Hugley situation.
  • Ease of Rooting: Pretty awful. No explanation needed.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low.

Reaction Score
ECU is in his hometown's backyard. Houston gives him a chance to win. ECU and Coastal Carolina are becoming popular spots for CT kids, I say this because I know several who went there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom