Josh Carlton announcing tomorrow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton announcing tomorrow

Reaction Score
ECU is in his hometown's backyard. Houston gives him a chance to win. ECU and Coastal Carolina are becoming popular spots for CT kids, I say this because I know several who went there.

Because it is warmer, they are easy to get into and they are fun as hell. My son and friends regularly, like monthly or more, drive all the way to Coastal from South Florida to spend a few nights and party. With spring here, they’ll be there way more. They are online for school, so they can be anywhere. They love Myrtle Beach and Coastal Carolina. It is giving them the college experience they are missing out on at UF right now.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because it is warmer, they are easy to get into and they are fun as hell. My son and friends regularly, like monthly or more, drive all the way to Coastal from South Florida to spend a few nights and party. With spring here, they’ll be there way more. They are online for school, so they can be anywhere. They love Myrtle Beach and Coastal Carolina. It is giving them they college experience they are missing out on at UF right now.

Lots of northeastern kids heading south. Haven't heard Coastal Carolina was popular, but College of Charleston definitely is. Clemson is too. Some friends of mine have a son at Clemson and their daughter is headed to Auburn next year. 34 kids from my daughter's Catholic HS in Massachusetts applied to Clemson this year. It's is wild how much has changed.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
My idiot Pitt friends seem to think they’re a lock for Efton Reid, so I don’t know if that would influence his decision there or not. Even if they landed him, that program is still a tire fire so I hope, for Josh’s sake, he steers clear as they’re giving off serious late Ollie tenure vibes.

Reaction Score
I think Josh should go to ECU. Close to home, day 1 starter, can play significant minutes, and will probably be able to put up decent stats. Probably best path to move onto the next level.

Reaction Score
Lots of northeastern kids heading south. Haven't heard Coastal Carolina was popular, but College of Charleston definitely is. Clemson is too. Some friends of mine have a son at Clemson and their daughter is headed to Auburn next year. 34 kids from my daughter's Catholic HS in Massachusetts applied to Clemson this year. It's is wild how much has changed.

I feel like I've responded to 3 of your posts today already, lol.

But how does he like the Clemson area? My fiance is one of the final 4 candidates for a job on the faculty at Clemson. Doing an all day teaching demo/interviews next week some time I think.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I feel like I've responded to 3 of your posts today already, lol.

But how does he like the Clemson area? My fiance is one of the final 4 candidates for a job on the faculty at Clemson. Doing an all day teaching demo/interviews next week some time I think.

It's OT so I'll send you a DM

Reaction Score
I think Josh should go to ECU. Close to home, day 1 starter, can play significant minutes, and will probably be able to put up decent stats. Probably best path to move onto the next level.

Familiarity with the league is probably a benefit as well

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clemson becoming a "choice" for northeast kids makes a strong case for correlation between success in sports and brand expansion. I don't think many northeast kids thought of Clemson 10 years ago.

Clemson is actually a legitimate choice for public universities in terms of academics and research.

All that being said, screw living "upstate" South Carolina and near Lake Hartwell. Gimme Coastal Carolina or College of Charleston any day over them. As others have said the academics shouldn't overwhelm you and you can have a good time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Clemson becoming a "choice" for northeast kids makes a strong case for correlation between success in sports and brand expansion. I don't think many northeast kids thought of Clemson 10 years ago.

Clemson is actually a legitimate choice for public universities in terms of academics and research.

All that being said, screw living "upstate" South Carolina and near Lake Hartwell. Gimme Coastal Carolina or College of Charleston any day over them. As others have said the academics shouldn't overwhelm you and you can have a good time.
clemson has been a popular destination for many northeast athletes for a very long time, particularly in golf, football, and baseball. lately, more have also come to recognize the quality of their academic offerings.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Had a friend who went to College of Charleston(back in the day) and was on their sailing team. He had an all female crew of friendly/nice looking southern ladies. The only downside was having to practice all of the time in prep for regattas/weekend events. He said practice took priority over studying.

Pretty good gig if you can get it.

Reaction Score
Houston may have come into the picture late because they were a little preoccupied.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Ironically, it's where I wanted to go in 1984 instead of UConn. My dad wouldn't let me apply because I was such a lazy HS student. But yes, sports had a role in that case for sure. Clemson has improved its reputation academically quite a lot, and the area is appealing (unlike U South Carolina).

Reaction Score
Had a friend who went to College of Charleston(back in the day) and was on their sailing team. He had an all female crew of friendly/nice looking southern ladies. The only downside was having to practice all of the time in prep for regattas/weekend events. He said practice took priority over studying.

Pretty good gig if you can get it.
So prcticing sailing all the time with an all female crew had a downside?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
One thing that stands out is Wake Forest's academic rating vs the rest of these schools. Wake is ranked #28 among universities (right between North Carolina and NYU) so if he qualifies academically he is in a good situation there for further studies and not too far from home (Winston- Salem NC)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Ironically, it's where I wanted to go in 1984 instead of UConn. My dad wouldn't let me apply because I was such a lazy HS student. But yes, sports had a role in that case for sure. Clemson has improved its reputation academically quite a lot, and the area is appealing (unlike U South Carolina).
hehe, 'where i wanted to go ...my dad...'
since middle school days, i was set to go to southern california. sun, surf, all that. between app and acceptance time, pops had a health thing, and sez 'son, you did all the stuff to have choices there, but ur mom and i would like you stay a little closer to home given the current situation.' my immediate response was 'no worries, i get it, but iffn im still schoolin after undergrad, you know that im prolly going out there then, aiyight?' he was like 'good plan.' off to beantown.
5 years later, after serving a one year penance down in the swamp, and a change in destination to norcal (tahoe rules!), well,

great gramps used to sing this beat a lot. said it was 'the bees knees and the cats' meow' back when he was a kid in flapper days.
all good. life is a journey, and not a destination. lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's clear Houston is the best fit in a lot of ways, but here's a breakdown of each team and how Carlton matches in team fit, ease of rooting, chance of postseason play.

Houston:
  • Team Fit: Very good. This year, Houston didn't play any players like Carlton (true bigs), but their three "bigs", Fabian White, Brison Greshan and Justin Gorham, are seniors and there's no news yet on whether they will return, transfer or simply graduate. Their '21 class includes Montverde grad Ja'Vier Francis so Carlton provides Francis an elder mentor to learn from.
  • Ease of Rooting: No problem. I don't care for most AAC teams, but I've learned to respect and even "like" Houston over the last four years
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very high.
Wake Forest:
  • Team Fit: Not great. Incoming junior Ody Oguama had a solid sophomore season (7.6p, 5.4r, 21.9 mpg) while incoming Tarique Ingraham played very well before sitting out the season for Covid precations (11p, 2.5r, but just two games). Carlton would be a welcome addition as a mentor for a young frontcourt, but at best chance he'd be a backup big with two other promising bigs on roster. If Carlton has any interest in coaching, could be a great spot to become a "player/coach" supporting the two developing bigs.
  • Ease of Rooting: Pretty high. Wake Forest are the underdogs of the ACC amidst a rebuild under lovable former ETSU coach Steve Forbes. I personally find his attempt at a rebuild interesting and would enjoy following the team this year.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low
East Carolina:
  • Team Fit: Excellent. Bigs Charles Coleman and Jayden Gardner transferred and Edra Luster grad transferred. Incoming senior Ludgy Debault averaged just 15.6 mpg while incoming sophomore Derrick Quansah didn't play. No bigs in their '21 class, so a strong chance Carlton could start right away.
  • Ease of Rooting: Not bad. While I hated playing East Carolina, I had no reason to dislike the team. Joe Dooley's squad actually played decently last season (KenPom 155) and I'd support them as an AAC spoiler.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low.
Pitt:
  • Team Fit: Very good. Senior big Terrell Brown grad transferred to San Diego, Coulibaly transferred to St. Bonaventure. Pittsburgh returns two incoming sophomore bigs John Hugley (who was suspended last season and hasn't played since 12/22) and Max Amadasun (4 games played). Based on that, at worst, Carlton will have a backup job with the chance of starting depending on the Hugley situation.
  • Ease of Rooting: Pretty awful. No explanation needed.
  • Chance of Postseason play: Very low.
Thanks for this write up. Always well done!

Unrelated/related, anyone remember the days when the BY would try and get excited about players like Charles Coleman

Reaction Score
Hope he picks Houston. Gives him the best chance of going back to the tournament
Now that I winter in Houston, me too. He would be additive to Cougers next year and be well coached.

Reaction Score
Just committed to Houston
This is going to be a point of discussion next year. In particular if he plays well. Could provide DH haters ammunition if he gets consistent pt and produces.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a point of discussion next year. In particular if he plays well. Could provide DH haters ammunition if he gets consistent pt and produces.
Nobody here doubts he can play well, there just wasn't minutes here with Sanogo. He's going to be great for Houston

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom