Reaction Score
former long-time assistant to CViv and recently fired from Ill

Interesting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
former long-time assistant to CViv and recently fired from Ill

Interesting.
Not sure what "interesting" means, but an excellent hire by Tennessee. A terrific recruiter.

Reaction Score
It will not hurt us if her head coaching abilities rubs off on Holly.

Reaction Score
OUTSTANDING hire. holly has hit two out of the park with the new coaches at TN. the future is bright in big orange country.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I vaguely remember Law having a very good recruiting class (ranking-wise) not long after she got the IL job. Also remember part of that class transferred. Does anyone have an idea of where her in-coming classes at IL were ranked?

Thanks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I vaguely remember Law having a very good recruiting class (ranking-wise) not long after she got the IL job. Also remember part of that class transferred. Does anyone have an idea of where her in-coming classes at IL were ranked?

Thanks.
I don't remember any of her classes but she was an absolutely horrid coach at IL.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not a bad hire for the Lady Vols, since she's not the Head Coach.

IMHO she underachieved at Illinois after beginning with a great recruiting class. When you compare what Coquese Washington has accomplished at Penn State vs what Jolette Law accomplished at Illinois, with both programs at the bottom of the Big 10. Washington has accomplished a great deal more and has Penn State in a great position to go deep in the NCAA tournament. Law was let go, because of her under achievements.

IMHO the Lady Vols should have hired a more dynamic young coach that would relate more to the players. Not sure how this hire helps the Lady Vols in recruiting, as after her initial success at Illinois, she wasn't able to get another top class.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't remember any of her classes but she was an absolutely horrid coach at IL.
on paper it seems like a good hire - former head coach. now an asst. i think she recruited Destiny Williams? who subsequently left for Baylor. i can see why tennessee fans would be jacked. but it remains to be seen what kids want to go there to play for Holly Warlick.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Not sure what "interesting" means, but an excellent hire by Tennessee. A terrific recruiter.

Well she apparently has a reputation as a terrific recruiter, but it did not seem to help her much at Illinois. Just like DeMoss' rep did not seem to help her much at KY or Texas.

I'd say time will tell, because it's really hard to say whether CVS or Law was the key at RU. I think we already know that Summitt was the key at TN, not DeMoss.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
We're very excited to have Ms. Law joining our staff.

While I had hoped for a more brilliant offensive mind, I am very happy with another excellent recruiter.

It's my hope that with this coaching chage, we decide to implement a better offensive scheme. The focus should always be on defense and board play, but I'd like us to look a little less lost on the other side of the ball!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
OUTSTANDING hire. holly has hit two out of the park with the new coaches at TN. the future is bright in big orange country.

Well, can we wait until some of the 2013 class decide before we say that?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
. The focus should always be on defense and board play, but I'd like us to look a little less lost on the other side of the ball!

I think you will be dissapointed on that count. Everything I've read has Holly talking about rebounding and defense. Two important facets of success, but I don't see anyone there to teach offensive effectiveness.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think you will be dissapointed on that count. Everything I've read has Holly talking about rebounding and defense. Two important facets of success, but I don't see anyone there to teach offensive effectiveness.
And there will certainly be no offensive genius from a former Rutgers assistant (no offense intended towards our Scarlet friends).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
And there will certainly be no offensive genius from a former Rutgers assistant (no offense intended towards our Scarlet friends).
Nor for that matter from Elzy, who was a wonderful defender as an LV, but not exactly a great offensive player, and who comes from KY, whose offensive schemes pretty much resemble those in Knoxville.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score

Well, IMO, the main defect the past 3-4 seasons has been on the defensive end of the floor. Traditionally, we have had great defensive teams. If these hires can improve our D, great!

Now, offensively...maybe I'll just have to hope we can get players with enough talent to create on their own.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
on paper it seems like a good hire - former head coach. now an asst. i think she recruited Destiny Williams? who subsequently left for Baylor. i can see why tennessee fans would be jacked. but it remains to be seen what kids want to go there to play for Holly Warlick.
I'm simply calling it as I saw it watching her teams in the Big Ten.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, IMO, the main defect the past 3-4 seasons has been on the defensive end of the floor. Traditionally, we have had great defensive teams. If these hires can improve our D, great!

I don't mean to be a downer, but Law's Illinois team was 253rd out of 336 teams in scoring defense and 266th in FG% defense. I am, frankly, surprised at these numbers because Law was an assistant under a great defensive coach for years (Stringer). The Illini were 201st in rebounding, too.

Now, offensively...maybe I'll just have to hope we can get players with enough talent to create on their own.

Do you really want players trying to go one-on-one offensively again? The players on Tenn's 2011-12 team were outrageously talented but when I watched them play, I kept waiting for them to slow down and run some offense. They seemed to prefer going one on one, with mixed results. I would think you'd like a coach that's more in control of the action.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score
IMHO the Lady Vols should have hired a more dynamic young coach that would relate more to the players.

I think that was the purpose of the Elzy hire. With the last spot Warlick just wanted someone she felt would be a good recruiter. I have no idea how well she will do, but I'm glad they went outside the LV coaching branch with the final hire (which is apparently where they were headed if Law said no). IMO part of Tennessee's problem in recent years was a homogenous coaching staff that had long grown stale. Some fresh perspective and ideas from an "outsider" with assistant coaching and head coaching experience is something that was sorely needed.....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think that was the purpose of the Elzy hire. With the last spot Warlick just wanted someone she felt would be a good recruiter. I have no idea how well she will do, but I'm glad they went outside the LV coaching branch with the final hire (which is apparently where they were headed if Law said no). IMO part of Tennessee's problem in recent years was a homogenous coaching staff that had long grown stale. Some fresh perspective and ideas from an "outsider" with assistant coaching and head coaching experience is something that was sorely needed.....

Makes sense, Darth. But she was far from successful as a head coach. Supposed to be a very good recruiter. We will see if either hire can impact the 2013 class. From what I have read, they expect to get the 1,3,8,9,10 and 15 ranked players.

Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2012/5/2/2994643/jolette-law-assistant-coach-tennessee-lady-vols

from article:

With Warlick already adding Kyra Elzy as an assistant, the Lady Vols still had another assistant coach vacancy due to the departure of Mickie DeMoss to the WNBA's Indiana Fever. In Law, Tennessee adds a coach who is nationally recognized as an outstanding recruiter: during her tenure at Rutgers as an assistant under Hall of Famer C. Vivian Stringer, Law was a major part of eight top 10 recruiting classes, including three that were ranked as the best in the nation.

With the combination of Elzy and Law, Tennessee is clearly making a push to continue their success into the future on the foundation of great recruiting to a program that now-Head Coach Emeritus Pat Summitt has built into a national power.

loving the news! congrats to coach elzy and law. going to be an exciting new chapter in lady vol history.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2012/5/2/2994643/jolette-law-assistant-coach-tennessee-lady-vols

from article:

With Warlick already adding Kyra Elzy as an assistant, the Lady Vols still had another assistant coach vacancy due to the departure of Mickie DeMoss to the WNBA's Indiana Fever. In Law, Tennessee adds a coach who is nationally recognized as an outstanding recruiter: during her tenure at Rutgers as an assistant under Hall of Famer C. Vivian Stringer, Law was a major part of eight top 10 recruiting classes, including three that were ranked as the best in the nation.

With the combination of Elzy and Law, Tennessee is clearly making a push to continue their success into the future on the foundation of great recruiting to a program that now-Head Coach Emeritus Pat Summitt has built into a national power.

loving the news! congrats to coach elzy and law. going to be an exciting new chapter in lady vol history.

The proof of the pudding will be in the LOI's. If Tennessee gets a strong (top 5) 2013 class, it will bode well for the future of Tennessee women's basketball.

Again, is it the institution of the coach? This has yet to be determined. Certainly was the coach for Davis.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Makes sense, Darth. But she was far from successful as a head coach. Supposed to be a very good recruiter. We will see if either hire can impact the 2013 class. From what I have read, they expect to get the 1,3,8,9,10 and 15 ranked players.
Where did you read that they expect to get those six?. And who is "they"?

(Russell, DeShields, Gray, Tucker, Scaife and Mavunga, if they are talking HG.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Where did you read that they expect to get those six?. And who is "they"?
I'm just pulling some legs. But I believe those are the 6 they are focusing on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm simply calling it as I saw it watching her teams in the Big Ten.
Law had terrible results as a head coach - I don't know why some RU fans continued to tout her for a future HC at RU. But she can recruit - the problem was, she could also drive players out of the program, this happened several times at IL. And I am guessing she coached a style of play that she lacked the players to execute. Did pull some amazing upsets, a few times.

She was well liked and respected as a recruiter, and also well liked by the players, in a role where CVS (to a degree) played the bad cop to her "good cop".

As we have discussed before, some folks just are not cut out for head coach.

Reaction Score
Law had terrible results as a head coach - I don't know why some RU fans continued to tout her for a future HC at RU. But she can recruit - the problem was, she could also drive players out of the program, this happened several times at IL. And I am guessing she coached a style of play that she lacked the players to execute. Did pull some amazing upsets, a few times.

She was well liked and respected as a recruiter, and also well liked by the players, in a role where CVS (to a degree) played the bad cop to her "good cop".

As we have discussed before, some folks just are not cut out for head coach.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99