Jolette Law hired at Tenn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jolette Law hired at Tenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some coaches do not succeed because the schools do not fully support WCBB. She might have been too abrasive and honest for IL......She will help a young Tenn team for years to come.
Too abrasive for Bears fans?

Reaction Score
Responding to a couple of misc comments.... I know some TN fans will not be satisfied with "top 10" status, but they will have to be ... and accept the fact that they are in transition to their newly defined program.

On Jolette, her past is a bit hard to judge, in part, because Illinois is such a black hole for athletic programs. In the Big 10 Michigan and Ohio State loom as big names, but even the others get a taste of success. Wisconsin has been to the top in football, and even in basketball, Northwestern has been to the Rose Bowl, Indiana has a rich tradition in hoops, and looks to be headed back to the top. Purdue is always competitive ..... but Illinois has never been competitive in anything it seems. Mens hoops has made it to the final 4, yes, and football made it to the Rose Bowl 5 yrs back or so, but these trips seem so much like abberations, rather than the mark of good programs making their measure. I thought Bruce Weber was great for hoops after Bill Self went to Kansas, but they broomed him along with Law this past year. It is hard to see anything good going on with Illinois sports.

Related to that, I think Law did a good job considering where she was. And she will do TN well I am sure. No worries, not from my vantage point.

And yes, it will be interesting to witness Holly coaching TN juxtaposed with HCE right alongside her. I know this is the way Pat wanted it, but it gives the appearance that the training wheels haven't been taken off and the keys haven't been completely surrendered to Holly. Again, time will tell.

Reaction Score
IF the initial sentence is aimed at my quoted passage then you completely misinterpreted my passage.

I wanted to know whether she was actually able to carry her 'recruiting prowess' over from Rutgers to IL with any regularity because I didn't remember that she did That's all.

Since I'm a UConn fan I'm not 'desperate' about anything related to Tennessee!

No, not aimed at you at all. Essentially, what I was trying to say, and the comments of TN fans seem to be good examples, is that fans are selective in what information they take away from pundit articles and school provided propaganda. It's the old tell a lie often enough and it becomes fact.

Read Law's bio on the IL web site. If you read the words, you'd think she is the greatest thing that ever existed. But if one reads the hard facts of the article, not so good. I expect a college to present an employee in the best light, but I expect the reader to be more unbiased in the assessment.

Is Law's bio worthy of the exuberance being put forth by the TN fans? I think not. Another example, TN fans recognize but discount the shortcomings of their team for next year. Yes, they have x problems, but they will work hard over the summer and solve them. This completely ignores the fact that every team's players will be working hard over the summer an will probably cause TN's efforts to be a stalemate at best.

I believe all fans take away what they want to believe, but teams use to losing will do it less, and teams use to winning will do it more. TN is use to winning, and thereby can't accept that any perceived problems may not be overcome. Losing 5 to graduation, no problem, perhaps a benefit as they weren't motivated. No post presence, no problem the 5 guard offense will rule after they work hard this summer, Holly has assembled a great team, Pat will mentor everyone, and on and on.

What's even worse, I'm thinking great things about Uconn's upcoming season. Most seem to agree, but it's making me nervous.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Well considering that Rutgers has gotten top 3 recruiting classes the last two years without Law's help, I don't think it she was the recruiting force. I mean she was selling a HOF coach, which she won't be at Tennessee.
Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winner.

...it will be interesting to witness Holly coaching TN juxtaposed with HCE right alongside her... gives the appearance that the training wheels haven't been taken off and the keys haven't been completely surrendered to Holly....
Motor Cycle training wheels.jpg

-C'mon kid. Sign here. Its everything you’ve dreamt of, right? Hey, the ride’s going to be… mmm, just fine.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score
Where did you read that they expect to get those six?. And who is "they"?

(Russell, DeShields, Gray, Tucker, Scaife and Mavunga, if they are talking HG.)

You know, "they" who is NEVER wrong. "They" who said Daedra Charles was a lock to move up to the coaching staff with when two spots opened up. "They" who has been deafeningly silent in response to Charles' inexplicable sudden departure from the Tennessee program.

Be afraid Husky fans, the next "six pack" is already in the bag. "They" have said so....

Reaction Score
Oh and the list of expecteds doesn't stop there..... there are 2 or 3 others on their recruiting wish list.... Cooper is one, I forget the others....

Reaction Score
Oh and the list of expecteds doesn't stop there..... there are 2 or 3 others on their recruiting wish list.... Cooper is one, I forget the others....

cooper would be great too!

Reaction Score
Big O - You will take them all, I know!

You will get 6 I am sure..... Which 6 who knows...... When will they start to fall?

Reaction Score
Big O - You will take them all, I know!

You will get 6 I am sure..... Which 6 who knows...... When will they start to fall?

thanks bay. i appreciate the positivity.

Reaction Score
Where did you read that they expect to get those six?. And who is "they"?

(Russell, DeShields, Gray, Tucker, Scaife and Mavunga, if they are talking HG.)
It's the fans that have these expectations (everything from hope to it's a lock). All based on who is on the TN recruit list posted on the Summitt site. I love this type of pronouncement. It either happens or it doesn't. No talking one's way out of it if it doesn't happen.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score
It's the fans that have these expectations (everything from hope to it's a lock). All based on who is on the TN recruit list posted on the Summitt site. I love this type of pronouncement. It either happens or it doesn't. No talking one's way out of it if it doesn't happen.

No no no, if it doesn't happen don't you know recruiting is fluid??? :rolleyes:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
No, not aimed at you at all. Essentially, what I was trying to say, and the comments of TN fans seem to be good examples, is that fans are selective in what information they take away from pundit articles and school provided propaganda. It's the old tell a lie often enough and it becomes fact.

Read Law's bio on the IL web site. If you read the words, you'd think she is the greatest thing that ever existed. But if one reads the hard facts of the article, not so good. I expect a college to present an employee in the best light, but I expect the reader to be more unbiased in the assessment.

Is Law's bio worthy of the exuberance being put forth by the TN fans? I think not. Another example, TN fans recognize but discount the shortcomings of their team for next year. Yes, they have x problems, but they will work hard over the summer and solve them. This completely ignores the fact that every team's players will be working hard over the summer an will probably cause TN's efforts to be a stalemate at best.

I believe all fans take away what they want to believe, but teams use to losing will do it less, and teams use to winning will do it more. TN is use to winning, and thereby can't accept that any perceived problems may not be overcome. Losing 5 to graduation, no problem, perhaps a benefit as they weren't motivated. No post presence, no problem the 5 guard offense will rule after they work hard this summer, Holly has assembled a great team, Pat will mentor everyone, and on and on.

What's even worse, I'm thinking great things about Uconn's upcoming season. Most seem to agree, but it's making me nervous.

Thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
Yes, the TN fans are over the top optomistic with respect to expectations on '13 recruits..... how can they fail? Barring any late signings for this fall, they will have 7 players on their roster come the end of next year..... 3 guards, 3 forwards and a forward/center. I am curious to see how they are going to fare this coming year with 4 guards and only 5 on the roster for the front line.

Reaction Score
Yes, the TN fans are over the top optomistic with respect to expectations on '13 recruits..... how can they fail? Barring any late signings for this fall, they will have 7 players on their roster come the end of next year..... 3 guards, 3 forwards and a forward/center. I am curious to see how they are going to fare this coming year with 4 guards and only 5 on the roster for the front line.

which is FABULOUS incentive for 2013 recruits. unlike other top programs, we actually have room for them AND they can play in front of the largest crowds in womens basketball. :)

Reaction Score
Yes, Big O, your fan support is wonderful. I like ur spirit.

thanks! just feeling good from the designation of new coaches. lady vol fans are so ready to back holly and the gang (pat included of course)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This is not a a groundbreaking point, but head coaches and assistant coaches have very different roles. Head coaches need to be managers of everyone and everything. They need to be the team's voice to the AD and the university as a whole. They need to manage not just their players, but their entire staffs. They need to close the deal with recruits. They need to fundraise. And they get the final say on starters, and offensive and defensive schemes.

Assistants, on the other hand, have much more segmented roles. It may turn out that Coach Law is an exceptional scout of opposing teams and a very good identifier of potential talent, when she can concentrate on those two things alone. And they may be all she needs to be as an assistant. No matter what, she is exceptionally experienced for the position.

Reaction Score
which is FABULOUS incentive for 2013 recruits. unlike other top programs, we actually have room for them AND they can play in front of the largest crowds in womens basketball. :)
And more good news. With JUCO recruit Wilka Montout signing with South Carolina, there is even more room for top 10 players!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to believe that Tenn will have a good recruiting class. IMHO probably in the Top 5 as they have a lot to sell to recruits when it comes to playing time, school resources and their fan support. They will also sign 5 or 6 players and that will contribute to their recruiting class ranking. Depending on whether they sign Mercedes Russell will determine if they have the #1 recruiting class. Now if they don't sign a Top 5 class, it won't be looking good for a long time in Lady Vol land.

Reaction Score
Have to believe that Tenn will have a good recruiting class. IMHO probably in the Top 5 as they have a lot to sell to recruits when it comes to playing time, school resources and their fan support. They will also sign 5 or 6 players and that will contribute to their recruiting class ranking. Depending on whether they sign Mercedes Russell will determine if they have the #1 recruiting class. Now if they don't sign a Top 5 class, it won't be looking good for a long time in Lady Vol land.
But won't the top candidates get lots of playing time almost anywhere they go? To me it's the group just below the top that would be attracted to TN. Those are the players that might not get much playing time at strong schools. What is your analysis of why Montout didn't select TN?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It was reported that Tenn didn't offer the major that Montout wanted. Don't know if its true or not. I also think that Montout had more or less eliminated Tenn before Tenn finalized their head coaching decision and the hiring of Holly wouldn't have changed her mind or cause her to reconsider Tenn.

But won't the top candidates get lots of playing time almost anywhere they go? To me it's the group just below the top that would be attracted to TN. Those are the players that might not get much playing time at strong schools. What is your analysis of why Montout didn't select TN?

Reaction Score
It was reported that Tenn didn't offer the major that Montout wanted. Don't know if its true or not. I also think that Montout had more or less eliminated Tenn before Tenn finalized their head coaching decision and the hiring of Holly wouldn't have changed her mind or cause her to reconsider Tenn.

yes! finally a factually accurate post

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think UT WILL have a big haul in 2013. They will likely get more top commits than any other university. Tennessee is still a huge name in women's basketball and they will fare better than some seem to think. If they get DD and Davis reconmits watch the pieces fall into place. Just let Baylor have Russell and Scaife, please.

When can Kim start texting again? Oh yeah, whenever she wants, apparently. Maybe she can adopt a daughter and buy her a spot on DFW Elite with that 6-7 girl from Brenam, TX.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
yes! finally a factually accurate post

Not exactly. Her major WAS offered but what Maria said, it was listed under another major.

"I talked to Montout and she repeatedly said the major was driving her decision. (UT has a concentration and it is listed under business but she wanted to see it on UT's website and didn't. She said the process was stressful and academics drove her decision.)"

Nice insult to everyone that posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom