John A: Team needs a vocal leader | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A: Team needs a vocal leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Related question: who are/is the captain(s) this year?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think people are underrating how big a role Dolson's been asked to take on this year. Often times she's the lone post player in the game, and trying to control the paint and boards by yourself - especially against the likes of Stanford and Baylor - is a huge task (no pun intended).

I think Dolson, more than anyone, will benefit from Stewart's arrival...not just because Stewart's a terrific passer from the high post, but her 6'10 wingspan should allow the two to completely control the paint area.

I know Stef has a big role...that's why I was surprised at Geno's comments earlier in the year. He said she knew the offense better than anyone and was the only one on the team with the personality to be a leader.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Kelly has never been the fiery rah rah type of leader. It would be great if she was, because as a coach, you want your hardest worker being a vocal leader. Hopefully, she will take this to heart become more vocal. I wouldn't want to make her mad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anytime the statement is '... other people aren't doing XXX', folks are being called out, IMHO.
I don't think Kelly wants to call out a teammate as much as she's mindful that Geno wants more from them in terms of leadership. Geno has never been shy about naming names in pressers when he's not happy with someone. In this case, he wants the players to take ownership of the team. Scotter is correct; Geno's doing his Svengali thing.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I don't think they are looking for someone to call players out in the media, but someone to point out their miscues directly on the spot and tell them what they need to do to fix it, whether is be in a game or in practice. It doesn't have to be negative and when I coached I would prefer it wasn't, but at some point it may take a verbal lashing to get the point across.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Kelly has never been the fiery rah rah type of leader. It would be great if she was, because as a coach, you want your hardest worker being a vocal leader. Hopefully, she will take this to heart become more vocal. I wouldn't want to make her mad.
Kelly would not have to be fiery or rah rah at all, and really would not have to be that vocal IMO. I think she is enormously respected by her team mates. All that would be necessary from her is a quiet word or two from her to the player who is need of correction.

I'm hoping Kelly takes on that role, sounds to me like she is considering it.

Reaction Score

IMO, and as I have suggested before, Bria is and has been the leader on the floor.

(Kelly is doing just fine. Why risk complicating a job she is already doing quite well, thank you.)

I get a little uncomfortable when I read suggestions that a player(s) need to get in the face(s) of another player(s).

Bad things can happen.

Besides isn't it the responsibility of the coaching staff to make sure the team is prepared to play each game?

Peace,

John Fryer

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I get a little uncomfortable when I read suggestions that a player(s) need to get in the face(s) of another player(s).

Bad things can happen.

Besides isn't it the responsibility of the coaching staff to make sure the team is prepared to play each game?
Have you noticed games where Renee Montgomery would grab someone's arm and say something during a game, not jokingly but seriously and with intensity? How about Diana Taurasi clapping her hands in the direction of her teammates and yelling, "Let's go!"? Or Shea Ralph, the player, giving a teammate a fierce scowl after a dumb foul in a tight game? Or Jen Rizzotti yelling out directions at people, clapping in the huddles to get them fired up? All were - and still are - great leaders. Only good things happen when someone steps up to "own" the team.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris agrees.

“We don’t have a specific vocal leader, the kind of person who will sit there and call someone out,” Fairs said. “That’s been this team’s downfall so far. Coach is right. Holding each other accountable would mean so much more. That is something a few of will need to start doing.

“We respect Coach, we know what he says is right. But apparently, some people aren’t responding to him. So maybe a teammate needs to get into a face and tell them this is how it’s going to be. We will work on that after the break.”

This comment scares me a little.

I agree.

From the context of what Kelly said, I am not sure if she meant one player or a number of players.

But she was speaking about a problem that was obvious to her.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Geno plays this motivational card nearly every year. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Just something for them to think about over break.
Couldn't agree more. Geno being Geno. Middle of the season motivation.

Reaction Score
The player that concerns me the most is Stefanie Dolson. She seems to have taken a step or two backwards. And, it appears, that as a result she's been spending a lot of time on the bench.
I have to agree. Both she and Caroline scored just 6 pts last night; not much for that opposition.

Reaction Score
this needs to be Caroline's role.

I know she's struggling internally, but she needs to take a step back and be what this team needs. If she was a leader last season, from the bench, then she can be one now while she's playing.

She's the type of player to get in someone's face etc. We've seen that personality from her. We've seen her grab a teammate and tell them something. We've seen her calm down KML.

Caroline may not be able to do the things she once could. That's okay. But she needs to do what she's capable of doing, which is being a leader.

Edit: I think Geno wants the leaders to be Kelly and Bria. He seems to relate competitiveness and being a leader, and when Megan asked him to name the most competitive people on the team, that's who he named. When Megan asked about Caroline, he made some sort of comment about her "finding her way in the games." So maybe I'm asking too much of her. Internal struggles are hard to deal with, I just think she's capable of helping the team more in that role. And I think at some point you are starting to ask too much of Bria (If she's not scoring every point, she better be setting people up to score..) And Kelly (doing everything else.)

Reaction Score
I think Bria and Kelly need to step up. Stef seems to be going through the dreaded "sophomore slump", CD is dealing with the knee still, and Tiff has obviously not grown into the vocal leader role that the team needs. As underclassmen it would be best if Bria and Kelly start now with holding their teammates accountable so that it can carry over to next season.
At this time, these 2 seem to be the best options. You can not be a vocal leader if you can't perform the tasks you are calling other people out for!

Reaction Score
Players calling out other players? Bad sign.

Could be, but not so much if the context and verbal lashing is done subtlety and is done in the "not letting your teammates down" sort of way, Young egos are entertaining and at some point or another they all need a little bit of a reset so to speak.

Reaction Score
This is not in practice or a game. It's in the media. Bad sign.

Mel published a book that part of the content said C Houston was purposefully resisting the scheme Geno was implementing. This sort of thing happens on teams.

Reaction Score
Mel published a book that part of the content said C Houston was purposefully resisting the scheme Geno was implementing. This sort of thing happens on teams.

And was that good? IIRC, the Charde years were the worst stretch since the late 80s.

Reaction Score
Kelly has called out her teammates in the media lately, I raised an eyebrow, but she works the hardest of anyone on the floor, so she has earned the right to say something if she sees others dogging it.

If Kelly were to become the "mouth" on the team, people would definitely sit up and listen!

Reaction Score
Thanks, Nan for the link...I hadn't read it. I don't see anyone "calling someone out"; no-one was named; a situation was observed and an intent stated to address it when they get back. In watching the games this year I have seen leadership growing from Bria and Kelly each in their own manner, especially when you think back to last year when everyone looked to Maya. I think, as Kim said after the game, that UConn has found a new identity and (my thought) we are really beginning to work it out. Floor leader(s) will emerge.

Reaction Score
Here's an experiment most everyone can try ...

As you sit down to holiday dinner, say the following: "The meal is not as good as it could be. That's because there are too many people at this table who help sometime, but don't help other times."

Let us know whether your friends/family feel 'called out.'

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My grandfather would have done just that. He always had the families respect.

Reaction Score
this needs to be Caroline's role.

I know she's struggling internally, but she needs to take a step back and be what this team needs. If she was a leader last season, from the bench, then she can be one now while she's playing.

She's the type of player to get in someone's face etc. We've seen that personality from her. We've seen her grab a teammate and tell them something. We've seen her calm down KML.

Caroline may not be able to do the things she once could. That's okay. But she needs to do what she's capable of doing, which is being a leader.

Edit: I think Geno wants the leaders to be Kelly and Bria. He seems to relate competitiveness and being a leader, and when Megan asked him to name the most competitive people on the team, that's who he named. When Megan asked about Caroline, he made some sort of comment about her "finding her way in the games." So maybe I'm asking too much of her. Internal struggles are hard to deal with, I just think she's capable of helping the team more in that role. And I think at some point you are starting to ask too much of Bria (If she's not scoring every point, she better be setting people up to score..) And Kelly (doing everything else.)
I think you hit upon it with, "internal struggles." If one senses she, herself, cannot do things she once could, it can be difficult to urge others to perform.

Reaction Score
Here's an experiment most everyone can try ...

As you sit down to holiday dinner, say the following: "The meal is not as good as it could be. That's because there are too many people at this table who help sometime, but don't help other times."

Let us know whether your friends/family feel 'called out.'
If I said that, I would be "thrown out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member