Joey California | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joey California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The team was also at its worst when he was playing. I’d like to see some minutes when Hawkins leaves, but when Hawkins leaves he also leaves a hole on defense, which Alleyne/Diarra fill in well enough.

Reaction Score
The team was also at its worst when he was playing. I’d like to see some minutes when Hawkins leaves, but when Hawkins leaves he also leaves a hole on defense, which Alleyne/Diarra fill in well enough.
The shift occured when Big East play began. But that wasn't his fault. That was the fault of the Big East refs who HATE Hurley!!!

Reaction Score
Diarra's box score wasn't great but him and Andre played great games overall and were key for our run to put it away. Hawkins was our main (and only) scoring threat. Not many minutes for Joey C when your PG-SF are the guys winning you the game
I was going to start a Diarra appreciation thread. I was at the game and have yet to look at stats but I thought Diarra played great yesterday and earned himself a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
I was going to start a Diarra appreciation thread. I was at the game and have yet to look at stats but I thought Diarra played great yesterday and earned himself a lot of minutes.
Agreed. Seriously thinking that the people dogging him on here didn’t watch the game and/or just want to argue

Reaction Score
After watching Newton and Alleyne you bet. You scratch your head on Newton because on some days he becomes a good player then disappears like yesterday.

Reaction Score
We aren't shooting well from deep and can't find a couple minutes to see if Joey might help. He already played vs Seton Hall and was on the court for 11 min with 1-2 from 3, 2 asst, 2 rb. That isn't awful. Posters are saying he hasn't hit the ocean in 2023, 6 for 24 is 25%, but the guys we did play were 4 for 22, 18%. I also think he does a good job getting the ball to Clingan in scoring position. I just don't understand a DNP for a kid that might be able to help. Try a 3-4 min stretch and see. Just like Carlton, and others, he gets a preconceived notion about a matchup and won't sniff it to see if it might work out.

Reaction Score
Love Joey C but his role was and has always been as a microwave/energy guy off the bench to provide and offensive spark specifically from 3pt land. First half of the season he was phenomenal in this role. Since Gtown back before Xmas he has been 25% from 3pt land. He also a defensive liability. Im not ready to give up on him because I think he has some skills specifically as a PG (good handle, good passing) but he needs to get back to hitting 3pters again which is a major part of his role and be better on defense or he wont play much any longer.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
I pretty much religiously defend Hurley on this board but I really think his treatment of joeys minutes in the Nova game changed Joey’s year.

Joey’s red hot. Great OOC stretch, coming off of the gtown game where he pretty much single-handedly won the game for us. Hurley barely plays him.

Reminds him he’s a role player on this team. Shakes his confidence. Haven’t seen the same guy since.

Attachments

• 13E9A90B-8904-495E-A3C1-AECCEB66EB52.jpeg
    13E9A90B-8904-495E-A3C1-AECCEB66EB52.jpeg
    967.9 KB · Views: 98
Reaction Score
Agreed. Seriously thinking that the people dogging him on here didn’t watch the game and/or just want to argue
I was at the game yesterday and I can tell you the energy on the defensive end alone provided a big boost to UConn. Remember, it was him and Andre that ended up getting UConn the big 16 point lead. The only thing I would say about Diarra, though, is he needs to get the offense started sooner, but he was good yesterday, no doubt.

Reaction Score
My knock on Diarra was his inability to give up the ball to better positioned players resulting in empty trips. I noticed he found Clingan yesterday , of course at his size his very noticeable.

Reaction Score
I pretty much religiously defend Hurley on this board but I really think his treatment of joeys minutes in the Nova game changed Joey’s year.

Joey’s red hot. Great OOC stretch, coming off of the gtown game where he pretty much single-handedly won the game for us. Hurley barely plays him.

Reminds him he’s a role player on this team. Shakes his confidence. Haven’t seen the same guy since.
Joey is responsible for his own play. If he is so mentally fragile(I don't think he is) that one game of limited minutes throws off his entire game for the rest of the season then it was always going to go bad. We have a struggling player that we all hope figures it out soon and finds his form. Hurley has his issues at times sure but hard to hang this one on him based on nothing but coincidental timing.

Reaction Score
Joey is responsible for his own play. If he is so mentally fragile(I don't think he is) that one game of limited minutes throws off his entire game for the rest of the season then it was always going to go bad. We have a struggling player that we all hope figures it out soon and finds his form. Hurley has his issues at times sure but hard to hang this one on him based on nothing but coincidental timing.
100%, you took the words right off my fingers. That Nova is almost 2 months ago and if Joey was that fragile mentally he was never going to be good in BE play in the first place.

Reaction Score

That was also when the competition got much tougher as well. Other than SJU, everyone we played after Nova was a tournament team, or at least on the bubble.

The whole team played varying degrees of "worse" after that point. Joey was just "more worse", especially on defense. He also stopped making up for it with great offense at that point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Alternative theory - Joey met Big East defense and it was too much for him.

The kid has been playing basketball for his entire life - not getting minutes in the Villanova game didn’t send him careening into a mental death spiral.

He’s a good player, but he’s just not able to get looks in this conference - but his performance in the preseason was enough to make his year here a success.

Reaction Score
Alternative theory - Joey met Big East defense and it was too much for him.

The kid has been playing basketball for his entire life - not getting minutes in the Villanova game didn’t send him careening into a mental death spiral.

He’s a good player, but he’s just not able to get looks in this conference - but his performance in the preseason was enough to make his year here a success.
He played excellent ball against Marquette. Hit shots off dribble, excellent passes and solid defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He played excellent ball against Marquette. Hit shots off dribble, excellent passes and solid defense.

He made one shot against Marquette and he’s shooting 26% in conference play - I am guessing that‘s why his minutes are starting to shrink. He was getting about 10 a game.

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of the “chicken egg“ argument - which came first. Joey C. hasn’t played long stretches for quite some time - even when we were losing games left / right. When he gets in, he is not on the court long - there is quIck hook.

Now you could say well he’s not playing well and his numbers are down - that would be true. Or you says gee whiz he barely gets on the court and never gets into a groove to work things out and thus numbers are suffering as a result.

I think it’s mixture of the 2 - I think it would make us a better team if we can get him back on track. Foul trouble NCAA tourney likely - we are going to need him at some point. I’d like to see him get in for 10 minutes a game - not sure what his numbers are at now.

Reaction Score
Joey's strength is catch and shoot.. If the ball isn't goin' in for him.. His D against BE athletes won't keep him on the floor for extended periods of time. Hope he can find some minutes in the next four games to get back on track so that he can be an asset off the bench during Tournament play..

Reaction Score
Diarra played really well against Seton Hall, and I hope that was the reason JC got no minutes. I hope Hurley does not give up on the deep bench. A game like Alleyne’s vs Marquette or Joey’s vs Georgetown, or Diarra’s vs Seton Hall, can make the difference in a tournament run. Last year Hurley kept shortening the bench, and come tournament time we essentially had 6 players, and no options off the bench when we needed something. Diarra, JC, Alleyne, and Clingan are all needed if we are going to do something post season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
JoeyCis not a NBE player
But that being said, I will bet if he got 17 minutes like NA received he wouldn’t have zeros across the board
Look at you - punching down on two college kids at once.
JoeyCis is almost funny, but you probably don't see that aspect of it.
And were you going with the back-handed compliment by using "NBE?"

If so, hat trick.

Reaction Score
He’s a mid-major guy who got exposed in conference play.

Played really well against Georgetown in December and is like 25% on three point shots since. I don’t think he’s gotten to the free throw line since like Christmas and his perimeter defense is notably bad on a team where perimeter defense is already pretty lousy.
For a mid major guy, he’s been great at finding Clingan with nifty no look passes down low.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
This Board never ceases to amaze me. Joey has struggled immensely since the new year yet people still want him in...wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom