Joey California | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Joey California

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I pretty much religiously defend Hurley on this board but I really think his treatment of joeys minutes in the Nova game changed Joey’s year.

Joey’s red hot. Great OOC stretch, coming off of the gtown game where he pretty much single-handedly won the game for us. Hurley barely plays him.

Reminds him he’s a role player on this team. Shakes his confidence. Haven’t seen the same guy since.
I agree with this.

He’s our best offensive bench player. Shooting, passing, finishing at the rim, I’d probably say he’s the best at all 3 with getting to the rim being debatable with Diarra. He’s also the best decision maker.

We’ll need him for the tourney with the heater he can be. We’ve given Alleyne all the rope in the world to get right but Joey C has had his minutes significantly decrease since conference play and like mrl said, it was right after he won the GTown game for us.

Must be hard having your minutes cut for almost no reason when you’re playing well. It’s hard to get back in rhythm getting 10 mins a game when you used to get 20 too.

Reaction Score
JoeyC doesn’t fit Hurley’s offensive scheme. He’s not super athletic but is a high IQ basketball player with great BB skills. He’s not a blow by guy, not a dominant rebounder or lock down D guy. He makes good passes, sees the floor, moves the ball and can shoot the lights out in space.

Send him to a Colgate where they kill with a lot of ball rotation to create open rhythm 3s coupled with a great kick out center like Records and other 3 threats like Richards, he would bring them into week 2.

The problem is we have no penetration guard or kick out center. Our offense doesn’t work in and out. It works off of screens around the edge or dump passes that never come back out. If you watch our earlier games, you’ll see a ton more ball movement but coaches have figured out (1) we don’t penetrate well, (2) AJ can’t shoot threes, and (3) Adama doesn’t kick out. So, you extend to contest the 3 at the top of the arc and not overly worry about drive byes, you collapse weak side where AJ is to help with penetration and collapse on Adama, and extend on the strong side to to contest the 3 from there.

The whole problem is we can’t spread the floor where JoeyC would be very valuable, and we screen and dribble in lieu of rotating quickly by passing. I’m no basketball genius but that’s why JoeyC isn’t playing.

Reaction Score
He’s our best offensive bench player. Shooting, passing, finishing at the rim, I’d probably say he’s the best at all 3 with getting to the rim being debatable with Diarra. He’s also the best decision maker.

I like Calcaterra but this is an absolutely insane statement. I thought we had peaked when someone suggested that he should be running the point but this tops it.

He’s a weapon off the bench when he makes shots. He’s overmatched against good Big East defenses and cannot defend.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

What a fantastic article, thanks for sharing. Kid seems to have been cut from some very fine cloth.

This past week has been a fairly typical one for Rich Calcaterra. He was in Las Vegas last week with a corporate group of about 3,000 people. He flew out Friday morning and arrived in Hartford late Friday night for UConn's Saturday noon game against Seton Hall at Gampel, where Rich sat a few rows behind the courtside season tickets he purchased but lent that game to Donovan Clingan's father, Bill.

"I don't like to sit there," said Rich, who also bought season tickets at XL Center as a way to help out the program. "I'll use Joey's tickets (given to players) and give mine to fans. Bill sits there sometimes. My wife and I will find a couple sitting way up top and give them the seats. It's really worked out well."

Reaction Score
JoeyC doesn’t fit Hurley’s offensive scheme. He’s not super athletic but is a high IQ basketball player with great BB skills. He’s not a blow by guy, not a dominant rebounder or lock down D guy. He makes good passes, sees the floor, moves the ball and can shoot the lights out in space.

Send him to a Colgate where they kill with a lot of ball rotation to create open rhythm 3s coupled with a great kick out center like Records and other 3 threats like Richards, he would bring them into week 2.

The problem is we have no penetration guard or kick out center. Our offense doesn’t work in and out. It works off of screens around the edge or dump passes that never come back out. If you watch our earlier games, you’ll see a ton more ball movement but coaches have figured out (1) we don’t penetrate well, (2) AJ can’t shoot threes, and (3) Adama doesn’t kick out. So, you extend to contest the 3 at the top of the arc and not overly worry about drive byes, you collapse weak side where AJ is to help with penetration and collapse on Adama, and extend on the strong side to to contest the 3 from there.

The whole problem is we can’t spread the floor where JoeyC would be very valuable, and we screen and dribble in lieu of rotating quickly by passing. I’m no basketball genius but that’s why JoeyC isn’t playing.
This. Wish I could give your post 1000 likes because it’s spot on, and most people here just won’t admit it. At this point in the season, we aren’t running (or can’t run) the type of offense required to get Joey the types of looks he needs to be productive.

Reaction Score
This Board never ceases to amaze me. Joey has struggled immensely since the new year yet people still want him in...wild.
Does your round about comment mean Joey C was terrific before January 1st? ………….wild.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think he should get a few minutes here and there as a 3 threat when Hawkins goes out.
You realize he's shooting 27% from 3 in Big East play, don't you? Add that to his lack of defensive ability, and it's very hard to justify giving him any time at all.
I prefer to just remember him for that glorious touch basket on the break, and not ruin the memory watching him chuck bricks.

Reaction Score
This. Wish I could give your post 1000 likes because it’s spot on, and most people here just won’t admit it. At this point in the season, we aren’t running (or can’t run) the type of offense required to get Joey the types of looks he needs to be productive.
We’ve shot the second most threes this year in the conference, and our NBA-bound guard is taking over 7 a game. Our offense definitely has no issues getting guys threes, sometimes to a fault.

Joey made his threes earlier this year, has been missing his threes more recently, and he doesn’t offer much more when the shot isn’t going down. I think that’s all there is to it. Alleyne gets a longer leash because he plays great defense and is backing up Andre Jackson, who is in foul trouble more often than not. Joey has 2 guys ahead of him in the depth chart, Alleyne has 1

Reaction Score
I like Calcaterra but this is an absolutely insane statement. I thought we had peaked when someone suggested that he should be running the point but this tops it.

He’s a weapon off the bench when he makes shots. He’s overmatched against good Big East defenses and cannot defend.
Maybe his analysis was way off the mark, but insane? No. The guy is a fan just like you are, and you backed up your “insane” statement by referring to a statement made by someone else. Chill

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

He’s our best offensive bench player is an insane statement? It’s just between him, Diarra, and NA.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For the record, I think Joey should continue to get a few minutes every game to see if he can bust out of this slump. If he can be a microwave off the bench in the postseason, that takes us to another level. That being said, he hasn't shot well for a long time now so you can't push to give him double digit minutes unless he's making shots.

Reaction Score
He’s our best offensive bench player is an insane statement? It’s just between him, Diarra, and NA.
How was he before Big East play? IIRC he was pretty good at hitting three’s. Even if he’s missing now, I’d give him more minutes when we have a big lead. If he wakes up and starts shooting like he did before Jan 1st, that helps us immensely. Agree though that if we need to play lockdown defense he sits, and for the most part we have needed to play lockdown defense since Big East play began.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Is this serious? He's great fit for the offense, but a terrible fit on defense. He can't guard explosively athletic guards. When we signed him I thought he'd be a great late game closer, and I do think Hurley should have had him in late vs Seton Hall. He makes smart plays and can pass and shoot FTs. But the SH guards would have attacked him in ISO all game.

Reaction Score
Rotation is getting tighter.. Bench guys have to bring it for PT.. Matchups/unique skill sets/foul trouble can also influence those minutes.. As DH has said.. Players control the minutes (to a certain degree) -not him.

Joey has got to give him a reason to play him.. Can see some opportunities for situational PT over the next few games.. But he's got to contribute.. Hope he gets a chance.. On him.. Would be cool to see the Cali kid splash a three at the Garden.

Reaction Score
We’ve shot the second most threes this year in the conference, and our NBA-bound guard is taking over 7 a game. Our offense definitely has no issues getting guys threes, sometimes to a fault.

Joey made his threes earlier this year, has been missing his threes more recently, and he doesn’t offer much more when the shot isn’t going down. I think that’s all there is to it. Alleyne gets a longer leash because he plays great defense and is backing up Andre Jackson, who is in foul trouble more often than not. Joey has 2 guys ahead of him in the depth chart, Alleyne has 1
Are you actually connecting the volume of threes shot by this team to “no issues getting guys threes”?! Andre Jackson shooting threes with no defender within 15 feet and Jordan Hawkins’ fast-twitch shooting and ability to elevate have ZERO to do with Joey Calcaterra and the excellent point made by @giddyup upon which I expanded.

Reaction Score
Are you actually connecting the volume of threes shot by this team to “no issues getting guys threes”?! Andre Jackson shooting threes with no defender within 15 feet and Jordan Hawkins’ fast-twitch shooting and ability to elevate have ZERO to do with Joey Calcaterra and the excellent point made by @giddyup upon which I expanded.
When Calcaterra was in the lineup we had no issues getting him 3's off of screens. If he was still making his 3's he'd be in the rotation getting those same 3's now. Hopefully he gets out of this funk because he adds a needed dimension for this team to make a run in March

Reaction Score
When Calcaterra was in the lineup we had no issues getting him 3's off of screens. If he was still making his 3's he'd be in the rotation getting those same 3's now. Hopefully he gets out of this funk because he adds a needed dimension for this team to make a run in March
That was before we played truly physical Big East teams.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe his analysis was way off the mark, but insane? No. The guy is a fan just like you are, and you backed up your “insane” statement by referring to a statement made by someone else. Chill
Hey, c'mon. You're ignoring that he qualified "insane" with "absolutely." Oh wait...

There have been posts about the absence of certain posters in the Andre Appreciation thread, and suggestions that if Newton has an impactful upcoming game, the moveable feast of of perpetual displeasure will migrate elsewhere to find fault.

And here we are.
So many targets, so little time.

Team can't closeout a game?
Behold, a fan base that can't closeout a regular season.

["Oh, but that's different."]
It's not.

The prophets of doom have chosen their favorite horse and are riding it hard, functionally praying for what they claim they don't wait, so that they don't have to feel foolish for putting their efforts toward what they do want and then likely ending up disappointed.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The prophets of doom have chosen their favorite horse and are riding it hard, functionally praying for what they claim they don't wait, so that they don't have to feel foolish for putting their efforts toward what they do want and then likely ending up disappointed.

Hey it worked in 2014.

Reaction Score
I like both Joey and Hassan, but Hassan is shooting 21% from three, and maybe more importantly, only 51% on free throws. Come close games that will be a big liability down the stretch. If you combined these two's best qualities you'd have one heck of a player though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom