Joey California | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joey California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he should get a few minutes here and there as a 3 threat when Hawkins goes out.

That being said, SHU is a drive to the hoop type team, they cant shoot.
Joey C can't defend the drive. The math doesn't work out in this case.

Reaction Score
Considering how much he struggles against physical on ball defense this isn’t the game best suited for him. Much rather have Diarra out there and it was the right call given how Diarra was able to get into the lane and score.
Well not actually score but he did have a couple nice dishes. Yeah it wasn't Joey C's type of game with the physical defense Seton Hall plays.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately he has lost his shot since the first Georgetown game and now has lost his minutes. He is always the smallest guy on the court, gets pushed around a bit of defense and his 3 point shooting dropped off significantly. We need to get him right though, he could be a great bench weapon in March when the game opens up a bit vs the banging in the BE.

Reaction Score
We struggle to shoot today (again), but keep our leading 3 Pt shooter on the bench? I guess DH prioritized guys with poor shooting and passing instead today.
He hasn’t been the leading 3 point shooter in quite some time. If you think he should have been out there at free throw time I think you can make that argument….

Reaction Score
You thought Diarra's pounding the ball into the floor for 20-25 seconds only rush a last second shot was productive? Then he wasn't pounding the ball, Jackson was.
Did you only watch the last 3 minutes of the game? That is the head coaches fantastic prevent offense. Not putting that on the players.

I’m not sure today’s game is the one to be taking shots at Diarra or Jackson. Both were pretty key to extending the lead from 4 to 16 or whatever we got it to.

Should have scored well above 70 if the guys didn’t drop so many dump offs that would have been easy buckets.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Joey is going to have a really hard time getting minutes with the way the Big East refs let guards hand check and drape themselves all over offensive players.
Yes, in California and the rest of the West Coast it's a different game.

Orc

Reaction Score
Maybe a rules thing? He looked fine on the bench and we went 8 minutes without scoring, that would seem to be Joey time.
Hurley basically did nothing to break the drought. He was just hoping hoping something will change. No plans

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We struggle to shoot today (again), but keep our leading 3 Pt shooter on the bench? I guess DH prioritized guys with poor shooting and passing instead today.

Joey is shooting 20% from the field since the first Xavier game, which was December 31st.

Reaction Score
Feels like he's only played like 10 minutes since Dec. 31st too.

Reaction Score
Because he has not really been useful since the very beginning of the season. His lack of athleticism, etc. is exposed and even if he's a better shooter than Alleyne or Diarra, he hasn't been able to hit anything consistently.

Reaction Score
He’s a mid-major guy who got exposed in conference play.

Played really well against Georgetown in December and is like 25% on three point shots since. I don’t think he’s gotten to the free throw line since like Christmas and his perimeter defense is notably bad on a team where perimeter defense is already pretty lousy.
I don’t think exposed is the right word.. Let’s just say opponents discovered his contribution and prepared for him consequently he isn’t getting the good looks he enjoyed earlier. Credit Good scouting
Shutting him down pretty much limited UConn’s erratic offense .
It appears he was a bigger factor in our earlier success then given credit
for . 14-0 when he was a factor vs 6-7 . That spurt-ability we enjoyed earlier seemed to end with opponents shutting him down .
I wouldn’t be surprised if he shines in the NCAA tournament. Different rules .

Reaction Score
Considering how much he struggles against physical on ball defense this isn’t the game best suited for him. Much rather have Diarra out there and it was the right call given how Diarra was able to get into the lane and score.
He scored one basket and had 4 points.

Joey hits one three and a free throw and he’s there. I get that Diarra is better on D but let’s not make the point that he was some X factor on offense.

Reaction Score
He scored one basket and had 4 points.

Joey hits one three and a free throw and he’s there. I get that Diarra is better on D but let’s not make the point that he was some X factor on offense.
Um, likely he doesn't. He had 3 points against SH last time. He has hit a total of 1 3 pointer in the last 6 games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JoeyCis not a NBE player
But that being said, I will bet if he got 17 minutes like NA received he wouldn’t have zeros across the board

Reaction Score
In order to go deep in the tourney we are going to need players like Joey C and others bench players to have good stretches - help win close games.

Joey C has really not been given serious minutes in quite some time. He comes off bench cold and never really gets the chance to get in the flow of the game - and hasn’t been impressive.

DH is almost blindly loyal to some players and leave them in for long, long stretches, guess we’ll see if this an effective player rotation when the tourney starts.

caw

Reaction Score
The dump offs would have been much more successful if they were actually dump offs and not Mach 5 missiles from three feet away.

It was bizarre how many bullet passes were thrown from like five feet away today. One or two is a lot and I swear the team threw like 4-5 today, and not all from Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom