Jim Christian out @ Boston College | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Christian out @ Boston College

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I could see them sending out feelers to Cooley. I know he is a local Providence guy but he was a BC assistant and he might be interested in competing in the ACC.

There should be zero chance that Cooley would leave Providence for what is an even harder job.

There’s a reach Boston College cannot beat PC regularly for recruits.

Reaction Score
How am I not shocked that someone in this crazy place thinks DH 1) is even a candidate for this job but 2) at the same time doesn't deserve it?

You do realize that UConn in the Big East is heads and shoulders a better job than BC? Well, clearly you don't.

This place never ceases to amaze me.
Lots of things make UConn a much better job than BC. But if you could be successful in the ACC vs the new Big East, I guarantee 9 out of 10 coaches would take the ACC.

Reaction Score
There should be zero chance that Cooley would leave Providence for what is an even harder job.

There’s a reach Boston College cannot beat PC regularly for recruits.
Well as they say, people will do lots of things if the money is right. And it would have to be right. Guys make dumb moves all the time for money. Ask Rollie Massimino. Or John Beilien.

Reaction Score
Isn't Wake Forest another perennial bottom feeder in the ACC? Tough to dig out from the bottom.
Yes, but the hire of Steve Forbes over quarantine has brought in some positive momentum to the program. 3-3 over their last six which included a OT loss to Florida State.

Two straight top-50 classes since Forbes has taken over. It's something.

Like the Fordham job opening up, Boston College is a coach killing destination, plus both jobs are afterthought programs within major cities. Heck, Amaker's Harvard team gets more attention in Boston than BC.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Becker goes to Boston College. He's done a heck of a job at Vermont and at 52, he'd still be able to get a decent mid-major job if all else fails at BC. For my own selfish reasons, I really don't want Rhodes, Moser, Schmidt and Bennett to leave their respective schools (VCU, Loyola-Chicago, Saint Bonaventure, Saint Mary's) as I really like to watch their teams and they are a big reason for their teams' success.

Reaction Score
Someone said another Jay Wright would be perfect. Only about 325 other schools would say the same thing. Dan Hurley - come on, why would he go to a mid major. John Becker, he'd be crazy to go except for the pay check.
They need someone who can recruit. I thought Christian was doing a great job, they belong in the cellar every year.

Reaction Score
How some of y’all view the BCU job is truly astonishing to me but I can’t say I’m not surprised

Reaction Score
How some of y’all view the BCU job is truly astonishing to me but I can’t say I’m not surprised

How do some view the job? Not sure which direction you are seeing the replies sway?

Reaction Score
How do some view the job? Not sure which direction you are seeing the replies sway?
The direction I’m seeing is that the job is on par or maybe just a tier below the UCONN job LOL.. I honestly think BCU gotta be a bottom 5-10 power 5 job but maybe I’m wrong and I’m seeing things differently in the thread

Reaction Score
BC has 2 problems, maybe 3 if you count being the odd man in the ACC. First, they have not been good and are in a pretty deep hole. How do they recruit the northeast now? How do you get out? If I were going this route, though I’d sell the campus to condo developers and go after Pikiell. I doubt you’d get him but who knows and compared to Rutgers BC is a walk in the park.

Problem #2 is that BC basketball is the equivalent of UConn football to most of their alumni and fans. If the announcement had been “BC is dropping basketball” 75% of the BC alumni/fan base wouldn’t care that much. Less competition for resources for Hockey and football...

They can go a couple of ways it seems to me. They can try and bring in an older big name to jump start interest, a Pitino or a Beilien type who probably isn’t staying long but will generate some interest. You hope you can find his replacement to build on the momentum. They can bring in a pretty solid local guy like Amaker or one of the other locals. I‘d look at the guy at Yale too. But they sort of went that route before with Christian. Successful Ivy League coach with little success At BC. Or find another Dan Hurley type, successful at rebuilding at a lower level who wants to show his stuff in the most prestigious league in the country. I don’t know who that would be but in some ways it needs to be the anti-Hurley in the sense that you won’t win at BC by out recruiting teams in your conference and you won’t win lots of battles against the big boys in your neighborhood either so you need to be able to coach the heck out of your team. Hurley will win or lose based on the guys he gets. BC needs to find the right guys to fit a system. A young Jay Wright would be the perfect guy.
Beilein had a system at WVU which worked with lesser players than at Michigan. Then, he started to get some really good recruits at Michigan.

He is a system guy. Is there a young Jay Wright anywhere?

Reaction Score
The direction I’m seeing is that the job is on par or maybe just a tier below the UCONN job LOL.. I honestly think BCU gotta be a bottom 5-10 power 5 job but maybe I’m wrong and I’m seeing things differently in the thread

I don't think most disagree much with you on this. The only thing potentially about it is maybe a high ranking assistant takes a chance on getting his feet wet. Or a really good coach like Becker gets a better paycheck. Other than that it'd a lose-lose job. Don't get me wrong a cheater may make it something competitive so maybe what's his name who's at Illinois now takes it after his gig at USF.

Reaction Score
He can do a WHOLE lot better than the BCU job
He certainly is qualified for a better position than at BCU.

Not sure if a currently successful major program wants him as a successor to a retiring coach. I don't think Duke or UNC would hire an older coach if their current coaches retire.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Didn't really pay any attention to Jim Christian's tenure, as BC has been very irrelevant for years now. However, this job is pretty much impossible. The only way I could see them building able to "build" themselves back up is to either hire a high profile coach ala Pitino, or take a chance on a coach from a mid major who is able to overpyrform for a couple years, which would then hopefully lead to better recruiting. So yeah, success isn't likely.

Reaction Score
Honestly, BC and Pitino make complete sense. New England guy who needs access to a power conference team and a program that needs invigoration and a reset.

If they hire a Porter Moser-eqsue coach, it's going to be more years of no one paying attention.
Pitino is as New England as Carnegie Deli. He’s from New York.

Reaction Score
Not when I watched them, they had a few good guards a couple years ago and were in many games with that class but couldn't win. By no means do I suggest they were in them all to the last minutes/seconds of games but they were competitive for a while. Maybe I only saw the ones they played well in or over their heads.

Pitino would be real interesting for them but would a catholic school hire a pimp?
This is probably not a question you want to hear the responses to.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's a shame what BC has become. BC is not a basketball school and Boston is not a college sports town. Basketball is no better than 3rd in terms of interest (Hockey, Football) and could be even lower (Baseball), which makes them no better than 6th or 7th in the region. Far cry from the Early-Mid 90's heyday. The decline began when they forced Jim O'Brien's hand. Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd followed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom