Jim Christian out @ Boston College | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Christian out @ Boston College

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I'm any of the guys on this list other than Pitino (back to the ACC) and Schmidt (BC alum) I don't think I'd touch this gig.

If I'm BC I'm calling Johh Becker (Vermont), Tommy Amaker (Harvard) and maybe Joe Jones (BU). I'd have Becker and Amaker as my 1 and 1A...

EDIT: Didn't realize Eisely, also a BC alum, was an assistant at Michigan. Not a bad move either for either party...
Was thinking that beilein gotta be a pipe dream

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
At first I thought this had to do with cancelling the word Christian from BC as part of cancel culture ?.
If they reach out to Pitino then it’s definitely happened

Reaction Score
If I'm BC I'm calling Johh Becker (Vermont), Tommy Amaker (Harvard) and maybe Joe Jones (BU). I'd have Becker and Amaker as my 1 and 1A...

If I'm Becker or Amaker or Jones, I do not return BCU's call.

Reaction Score
Isn't Wake Forest another perennial bottom feeder in the ACC? Tough to dig out from the bottom.

Pitino has the coaching chops and is a very good in-game coach. A few years ago, when he coached at Louisville in a game against Calhoun, Louisville was minus several good players, and Pitino kept them competitive in the game.

He knows how and when to switch defenses and when to press. When at Kentucky, during a year when they had mass defections, he got the slow remaining players to shoot 3's and press, and like they won games by 20 points. I remember their having a player named Pelfrey.

He knows how to do much with little, except when he coached in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Pretty slimy to do it with like 3 weeks left in the season, but you can't argue with his track record. Absolute terrible job, kind of an unwinnable situation to be honest though, tough to recruit up there when UConn / Nova / Syracuse dominate the recruiting in the northeast.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Providence would be a northeast powerhouse with Pitino. It would definitely be good for the Big East but would hurt UConn. They definitely sticking with Cooley.
He had a 2 year tenure at PeeCee already and brought them to Final 4 in year 2
Don't think the Friar administration would consider Pitino
BUT - Cooley may look at BC and the ACC
I'll bet BC sends feelers out to DH or maybe his brother (to counter the recruiting war) but DH really hasn't earned that look quite yet, IMO

Reaction Score
I'll bet BC sends feelers out to DH or maybe his brother (to counter the recruiting war) but DH really hasn't earned that look quite yet, IMO
Stop it. Dan Hurley isn't taking the BC job

Reaction Score
BC has 2 problems, maybe 3 if you count being the odd man in the ACC. First, they have not been good and are in a pretty deep hole. How do they recruit the northeast now? How do you get out? If I were going this route, though I’d sell the campus to condo developers and go after Pikiell. I doubt you’d get him but who knows and compared to Rutgers BC is a walk in the park.

Problem #2 is that BC basketball is the equivalent of UConn football to most of their alumni and fans. If the announcement had been “BC is dropping basketball” 75% of the BC alumni/fan base wouldn’t care that much. Less competition for resources for Hockey and football...

They can go a couple of ways it seems to me. They can try and bring in an older big name to jump start interest, a Pitino or a Beilien type who probably isn’t staying long but will generate some interest. You hope you can find his replacement to build on the momentum. They can bring in a pretty solid local guy like Amaker or one of the other locals. I‘d look at the guy at Yale too. But they sort of went that route before with Christian. Successful Ivy League coach with little success At BC. Or find another Dan Hurley type, successful at rebuilding at a lower level who wants to show his stuff in the most prestigious league in the country. I don’t know who that would be but in some ways it needs to be the anti-Hurley in the sense that you won’t win at BC by out recruiting teams in your conference and you won’t win lots of battles against the big boys in your neighborhood either so you need to be able to coach the heck out of your team. Hurley will win or lose based on the guys he gets. BC needs to find the right guys to fit a system. A young Jay Wright would be the perfect guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All downhill after they fired Skinner who IMO was a pretty good coach. Never understood why they got rid of him unless they had visions of greatness which is a total illusion for anything other than hockey at BCU.

They were going downhill with or without Skinner.

The ugly side there was not that they fired Skinner, but that they decided to destroy his reputation in the press for no good reason.

BC sucks because there is no compelling reason for them not to suck.

Reaction Score
Stop it. Dan Hurley isn't taking the BC job
I could see them sending out feelers to Cooley. I know he is a local Providence guy but he was a BC assistant and he might be interested in competing in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Not when I watched them, they had a few good guards a couple years ago and were in many games with that class but couldn't win. By no means do I suggest they were in them all to the last minutes/seconds of games but they were competitive for a while. Maybe I only saw the ones they played well in or over their heads.

Pitino would be real interesting for them but would a catholic school hire a pimp?

probably just move him to another catholic school

Reaction Score
How am I not shocked that someone in this crazy place thinks DH 1) is even a candidate for this job but 2) at the same time doesn't deserve it?

You do realize that UConn in the Big East is heads and shoulders a better job than BC? Well, clearly you don't.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom