Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom

Reaction Score
I dont know if he is a better coach than Ollie. We could very much debate that.
Only one of them has a NC.

Listen bucko, you want to go all in on change you better give me better than Crean. This is serious business.
We can have a discussion as soon as you stop putting words in my mouth, brosef

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Tom Crean doesn’t get his due credit. He resurrected Indiana basketball from the pit and they’ve been terrible since he’s left.
I agree if you look at his record after the first 2 yrs it was good...They had no players left after the Kelvin Sampson mess

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Just saw this on the Twitter. Thought I would post it...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What difficult period?

HOLY CRAP Ollie walked into a post season ban and recruiting sanctions and a mass exodus of players!

This is the roster he was handed. Even after the departures (two transfers and two NBA). It was good enough to win 20 games, and a National Championship the following year, with merely the additions of Facey, Brimah and TSam as freshmen. Props to Ollie for getting Kromah on the grad transfer circuit. That was huge.

Enosch Wolf7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)260 lb (118 kg)JrGöttingen, GermanyF2
DeAndre Daniels6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)195 lb (88 kg)SoLos Angeles, CAF3
Phillip Nolan6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)203 lb (92 kg)FrMilwaukee, WIG4
Brendan Allen6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)187 lb (85 kg)SoWindsor, CTG/F5
Niels Giffey6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)205 lb (93 kg)JrBerlin, GermanyF10
Tyler Olander6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)225 lb (102 kg)JrMansfield, CTG11
Ryan Boatright6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)165 lb (75 kg)SoAurora, ILG12
R. J. Evans6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)200 lb (91 kg)RS SrSalem, CTG13
Shabazz Napier6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)170 lb (77 kg)JrRandolph, MAG21
Omar Calhoun6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)185 lb (84 kg)FrBrooklyn, NYF22
Leon Tolksdorf6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)220 lb (100 kg)FrBerlin, Germany

So that was our crisis period? A 20 win season two years removed from a title a year before another national championship? That's worse than now? Back to back under .500 records. Even more players transferring. And of course an NCAA investigation. Those were the glory years by comparison. His cupboard was hardly bare.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This is the roster he was handed. Even after the departures (two transfers and two NBA). It was good enough to win 20 games, and a National Championship the following year, with merely the additions of Facey, Brimah and TSam as freshmen. Props to Ollie for getting Kromah on the grad transfer circuit. That was huge.

So that was our crisis period? A 20 win season two years removed from a title a year before another national championship? That's worse than now? Back to back under .500 records. Even more players transferring. And of course an NCAA investigation. Those were the glory years by comparison. His cupboard was hardly bare.

Your failure is to credit Ollie for that.

NONE of the players that stayed had shown ANYTHING in 2012. Napier was a disaster. Boat was suspended 1/2 the time Daniels never saw game action. Oh man.

Reaction Score

NONE of the players that stayed had shown ANYTHING in 2012. Napier was a disaster. Boat was suspended 1/2 the time Daniels never saw game action. Oh man.

Shabazz was better than you give him credit for, and the failures of 2012 fall more on guys like Lamb and Drummond who didn't buy in to his aggressive leadership.

That said, you're right that KO deserves credit for coaching up that group of kids. But they were JC-stamped recruits, guys who embodied classic UConn toughness.

Where KO has failed is in identifying and bringing in guys with both talent and toughness, BBIQ and ability and willingness to learn. His own recruits have been lacking in most of these aspects.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Napier was a disaster? He was better as a freshman than most our best UConn guards. He made the all Big East rookie team. As a Soph he averaged 13.0 points, 5.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.6 steals per game. Yeah, a “disaster”. As a Junior he averaged 17.1 points, 4.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.0 steals a game. He and Boat May have been the best back-court in the country.

Daniels was a five star recruit that we landed against Kentucky, Kansas and Florida. He didn’t play much as a freshman because he was behind Lamb, but as a soph averaged 12 and 5. He bumped that to 13 and 6 and was the 37th pick in the draft.

Boat was a strong 4 Star who averaged 10 points, 4 assists and 3+ boards as a freshman. He was up to 15 as a sophomore. He was suspended for 3 games.

I give Ollie credit for getting Kromah and for recognizing what Giffey could offer (a little late, I had been calling for him to play more). He did a good job. But hasn’t since.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Napier was a disaster? He was better as a freshman than most our best UConn guards. He made the all Big East rookie team. As a Soph he averaged 13.0 points, 5.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.6 steals per game. Yeah, a “disaster”. As a Junior he averaged 17.1 points, 4.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.0 steals a game. He and Boat May have been the best back-court in the country.

Daniels was a five star recruit that we landed against Kentucky, Kansas and Florida. He didn’t play much as a freshman because he was behind Lamb, but as a soph averaged 12 and 5. He bumped that to 13 and 6 and was the 37th pick in the draft.

Boat was a strong 4 Star who averaged 10 points, 4 assists and 3+ boards as a freshman. He was up to 15 as a sophomore. He was suspended for 3 games.

I give Ollie credit for getting Kromah and for recognizing what Giffey could offer (a little late, I had been calling for him to play more). He did a good job. But hasn’t since.

Wasn't Shabazz eviscerated by this board during that Sophomore season?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don’t remember honestly. He certainly shouldn’t have been. As is the case now, I think people were frustrated.

Reaction Score

And they “weren’t “Ollie’s guys which means he didn’t know anything about them so he was coaching absolute strangers. Because we all know jc was running lines and suicides in 12/13.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If JJ thinks we hit rock bottom, then we probably have not yet hit rock bottom

Then again, he should know what rock bottom looks like. Who is he covering these days? The Wolfpack?

I have as little respect for the media as I do career politicians.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think The Boneyard is at rock bottom, has been for a year or so now. But there's another level to rock bottom here, just watch if they bring KO back LOL:eek:

That may be more analogous with a real Armageddon, with the BY as Ground Zero.

Reaction Score

Who names a baby Enosch?

Reaction Score

Hobbs should get credit for Kromah.

Reaction Score
Ive got no dog in this fight. Im just curious to what "burn the password" means.
Dude, I do love you. More than just for the sandwich image. It means that, every 6 months or a year or whatever, I change my password to some scrambled mess that I can't and won't remember and then take a break from this site for a while. Sometimes a few weeks, sometimes a few months. Whatever.

Love the guy saying I'm not a fan.

4 degrees from UConn. Was on campus when Calhoun arrived. Took classes with Uncle Cliffy. Gave C. Smith a thumbs up at the gas station prior to a huge game. Watched all Natties with my fam and best friends. Been a (controvesial) member of the BY since before the website change. Got banned (by Fishy?) right before the move.

These clowns who think that me wanting the team to lose big was somehow indicative of me not being a fan are simpletons.

Gotta think big picture.

The best thing for UConn basketball just happened. Kevin Ollie got fired. I don't give a flying fudge what his "bleeds UConn blue" credentials are. I don't live in the past. He's done nothing but damage the program for several years now. Maybe he used to "bleed blue," but his effort and performance the last few years has been morbid. Time to go. Bleed something else, you're parasitized our program long enough.

Thank G-D Dave Benedict had the cajones to turf this pretender. He'll never coach D-1 or above again, and that's as it should be. Leave and take the horse that you rode in on.

Let's move on.

I vowed I would never watch again until he was fired. He's gone. Thank the L-ord.

[in the voice of Rick Sanchez saying "pickle Rick!!"]

Frank Ivy!

I'm baaack!!!!

Reaction Score
I don’t remember honestly. He certainly shouldn’t have been. As is the case now, I think people were frustrated.
Yes, he was. People were really hard on him and Boat, both. I remember, after the LVille blowout in 14, people b-ing and moaning that we needed bigger guards and that we would never win with them. I admit, with shame, that I voiced that exact opinion.

One of the many reasons I consider Shabazz the greatest player in UConn history. Key freshman in NC3, and was the engine behind 2014. Given how bad KO turned out, Shabazz has never gotten even close to the credit he deserves. Not even close. What he did in 14 was, iMO, substantially more impressive than what KW did in 11. And the difficultly of schedule confirms that. KW is on UConn Mt. Rushmore and was awesome, but we beat Butler in the finals. Shabazz had the hardest road to the title EVER in the NCAA modern era. Guy was absolutely unreal.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's such a pipedream and I'm not sure it makes sense.

Maybe it keeps the roster in place but then what? He's old and he isn't traveling the country to recruit and the travel demands of this conference don't help either.

It could be fun and would certainly bring fans back but I wouldn't count on it and I'm not convinced we would want it to happen.
we need to move forward. doesn't say much for the school when we have to go backward

Reaction Score
Mau? I love you Bro! Can't believe you turned on me like this! Lol. He's gone. Mission accomplished.

MDR help me understand #1 “Ollie is cancer”, #2 rooting for them to lose? Those 2 are unacceptable my friend c’mon... you’re better than those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom