Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rock bottom is always worse than a rational person can imagine.

Reaction Score
A workout violation would not be anything remotely close enough to fire Ollie with cause. Assuming these "workout violations" aren't with agents or bookies present, these are NCAA slaps on the wrist. At most the players involved might sit out one game next year or something. Ollie would bring UConn to court and win if they tried to call that firing for cause.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can never tell where rock bottom was until you’re no longer there.

But I’m pretty confident that we’re not there yet. There are worse days to come and I think they will come rather soon.

Buckle up!

Reaction Score
Jacobs makes Debbie Downer seem like the worlds greatest optimist...man he looks miserable ....Id pay to have that guy keep his mouth shut.

Reaction Score
You can't hit rock bottom if you're falling in a bottomless pit.

That's us.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If UConn Football has taught me anything, it’s that things can always get worse after thinking you’ve hit rock bottom.

Beat me to it Mike.

The term "rock bottom" has been bandied about a lot on the football board the past decade.

Don't ever underestimate what the real rock bottom is.
Add me to this list as also a hardcore follower of CR back in the day. Every time we thought we hit Rock bottom, BE fall out, ACC snub, and then RU to B1G something new came up. So yeah, rock bottom is not here yet

Reaction Score
First thing I thought of...
DAEQgrIW0AEFap2.jpg
If this is a violation, it’s time to sue Emmert. His vendetta has gone on too long.

Reaction Score
Storrs ...I would assume he would have someone as a coach in waiting ala Tom Moore for example at his side to take over after 1-2 years
But again it’s not like I’m betting the house on it. I’m just saying don’t be stunned.

Reaction Score
Our program can find a way to go beneath the rock.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Storrs ...I would assume he would have someone as a coach in waiting ala Tom Moore for example at his side to take over after 1-2 years
But again it’s not like I’m betting the house on it. I’m just saying don’t be stunned.

There's a 100% chance JC's family would not allow it. They'd like to keep him alive as long as possible for the grand kids et al. You know, the important stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Geno takes the men's job & receives a raise. A new Wbb coach steps in. Simple. How long before we make the tourney again Jeff?

It used to be said, maybe by Geno himself, that if he were to take over the men's program, it would make both teams worse.

That is obviously no longer the case.

That said, he shouldn't jeopardize the dominant WBB program that is the only calling card this AD has at the moment.

Reaction Score
Ya, finishing 8th in the AAC and losing to a seriously depleted 9th place team is pretty darn low. At this point, going on like this, with Ollie in tow, Tulane might pass the Huskies next year. The AAC positioning might be....ep, double digits, holding off the likes of USF and ECU. I mean, didn't USF absolutely demolish SMU just the other day?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Say what you want about Jacobs, but either he - or his editors - are genuinely poop journalists in the most rudimentary of definitions.

Reaction Score
The football team never hit rock bottom. Rock bottom is where Diaco was going to take us before AD Dave fired him. No doubt in my mind we would have 0 - 12 in 2017 if Diaco were the coach.

I expect AD Dave to make the same move now with Ollie.

Reaction Score
the Calhoun mention in the Jacobs article is interesting. I heard something two months ago that makes me think if Calhoun was asked to return he would be all over it.

If Calhoun returned and everyone worth keeping on the roster (including Larrier) came back we could have a very quick turnaround. Calhoun would probably turn Adams into a first team All American.

Break out the puke buckets!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It used to be said, maybe by Geno himself, that if he were to take over the men's program, it would make both teams worse.

That said, he shouldn't jeopardize the dominant WBB program that is the only calling card this AD has at the moment.

Not true...field hockey!

Reaction Score
The only way Calhoun is even a consideration is if there is a succession plan in place the day he walks in, and it's pre-determined that he's only here two years max. That said, I'd put the probability of this happening at about 1%.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I get the sense Calhoun would put up with Larrier's idiocy on the court for about 15 seconds.

Honestly feel that he wouldn't have taken Larrier for USJ after watching him in practice and at VCU. Sometimes it just isn't worth it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That's nonsense. He's got a thing going as best WBB coach of all time. He's 2.5 seasons away of passing Pat Summit for all time wins. That's pretty much the only record he doesn't own. If he already had, maybe he'd take a shot, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I was at rock bottom once. Now I have 590 trophy points on a failing message board.
Took the time to request a new password after forgetting, specifically to like this post. Wonderful!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom