Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People like the divorce speculation because it is a neat and a simple answer to a difficult situation. Ollie is a tough SOB and I have a difficult time imagining his entire personality and presence being warped by a divorce. Its possible, sure, but I think it primarily allows people to skip the part where he is a very inexperienced and possibly in over his head coach who has also experienced bad luck.

I would say you are very likely right, but I'd caution in equating toughness with things like handling a divorce. My completely non-scientific guess would be that it can shake the infrastructure of even the most put-together people.

Reaction Score
A mess that had already played part in a national title and would give the program another one shortly after. Yuck
Yes. KO coached and managed his a** off. Just remember to thank KO for that title you speak of

Reactions: pj

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People like the divorce speculation because it is a neat and a simple answer to a difficult situation. Ollie is a tough SOB and I have a difficult time imagining his entire personality and presence being warped by a divorce. Its possible, sure, but I think it primarily allows people to skip the part where he is a very inexperienced and possibly in over his head coach who has also experienced bad luck.
They are not mutually exclusive issues. I'd prefer people consider all the potential parameters involved in any problem as opposed to settling on one or two and excluding all other considerations. As @champs99and04 we can not know exactly what is going on so all of this is conjecture. But the genie was let out of the box with the OP in this thread. It was inevitable that people would try to understand the underlying reason for the reported behavioral change in KO. And that's assuming their is credibility to that report. I'm still on the fence but leaning in the direction there is some basis.

Reaction Score
I would say you are very likely right, but I'd caution in equating toughness with things like handling a divorce. My completely non-scientific guess would be that it can shake the infrastructure of even the most put-together people.

True. I hesitated even putting that in. Just my opinion. More pseudo speculation - I wouldn't expect a man so grounded by his faith to entirely change his personality due to a divorce. This from a single 29 year old atheist.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I consider most of the people in this forum to be relatively well put together. I believe the majority of us are over achievers. And look at how many people are emotionally upset with the season, the post season, other posters, what people are posting. I remember a poster that I complemented as being someone who presented himself as far more mature than his age indicated and shortly after I did this he went off on Kentan over his performance in a game earlier in the season and insisted he never play another minute.

Emotions are what they are. Some of us are more in control of them than others. Some of us deal with adversity better than others. Some of us get over things quicker than others. Some of us can never get over some things and some of us can't get over anything. Who needs science to tell us what's in front of our faces.

I can't say for certain KO is in a funk. But if he is then certainly his divorce would have to be considered even if it's three years past the time. Stating it shouldn't make it a certainty in anyones mind. It's just a plausible possibility.

It doesn't change the past and none of our conjecture will change the future. The bottom line is KO has to figure things out to get the program back to a state of success and fix the things he was personally responsible for that led to the current state of things.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Do you mean incessant psychoanalysis of people that don't want to be psychoanalyzed, or of situations that don't warrant psychoanalysis ;)
Nah. That's an overblown exaggeration with some underlying basis. People have expressed it recently because unlike the past where I've stayed above the fray I've decided I owe it to myself to be like the rest of the idiots in this forum who enjoy going after one another. I've decided at nearly 70 years old it's time to be a persnickety curmudgeon and get down and dirty instead of always being noble. I've only regretted one recent instance where I went beyond a boundary I still try to maintain. I'm just hoping I've earned enough points for my past behavior to get past those gates that you don't subscribe to.

I was referencing my inability to stay away from this place. Look at the number of posts. And that includes a hiatus from this place for almost two years starting three years ago. The sad truth is outside of @Dogbreath2U I'm not sure anyone noticed my absence. So I'm making certain this time around people will be aware when I'm not here.:cool:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I had my name for a full day before whaler11 joined the board so I think I deserve it. To be fair, he was probably whaler11 on the other board when I was some generic UConn themed handle. I don't hate being confused with him, I think he is a great poster. That said, I may be the only person with that sentiment (joking, mostly).
He's a knowledgeable arrogant poster. That fits the bill for most of us. I was just joking because of your response to Ant and the back and forth going on between Ant and whaler.

I love hearing the ages of people. Single and 29 with your knowledge and attitude should get you far in this world. How's that for psychoanalysis. You're probably a degenerate in prison.;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is right around the 10th highest paid college basketball coach in America. We deserve better than what we've seen the past three seasons. With a program with a history like UConn, top notch facilities and the salary to match it, 1 NCAA tournament bid the past 3 seasons doesn't cut it.

The narrative that we are limited as a program as to where KO takes us is BS. The conference isn't attractive, but the program still has cache and the salary more than anything else would allow us to bring in a solid coach.

KO will always get credit for the National Title run and he earned that. The pattern of middling regular season success and this past seasons abject failure is more of an indication to me about his capacity as a head coach than catching lightning in a bottle with the best player in college basketball for that season over 6 games. They don't contradict each other. You can achieve the apex of success in a game, but then also fall off the mountain.

More so concerning than the up and down results of the past 3 years is how the bottom fell off this off season. Given the injuries, this past season would be difficult, but there was at least some hope that returning Jalen, Gilbert and Larrier, and then adding a top recruit in MAL, that we could make some noise next year at least in the AAC.

The fact that so many players are leaving (spare me the public comments of support for KO, if they truly believed what they are saying, why would they leave) and the stories that have come out about KO and how he's been running the program are what is really painting a dark picture here.

I want KO to succeed and prove me wrong. I love the idea of the continuity of a former player keeping UConn elite. However, nobody is bigger than the program. KO needs to get his act together, because at $3M a season, there would be a lot of guys out there that would be up for the challenge.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is right around the 10th highest paid college basketball coach in America. We deserve better than what we've seen the past three seasons. With a program with a history like UConn, top notch facilities and the salary to match it, 1 NCAA tournament bid the past 3 seasons doesn't cut it.

I want KO to succeed and prove me wrong. I love the idea of the continuity of a former player keeping UConn elite. However, nobody is bigger than the program. KO needs to get his act together, because at $3M a season, there would be a lot of guys out there that would be up for the challenge.

Cool - let's start seeing some suggestions then. Because a few folks are finger-on-the-trigger, so we might as well starting thinking of some names of guys who would a) realistically come here and b) be in a better position to right the ship and c) be as up to the "challenge" as KO is.

There is no greater lose-lose than the position Kevin Ollie was handed nor is currently in. To take over for a hall of fame coach while the program is still sanctioned and playing Tulane and ECU in its conference schedule is the imagery of nightmares for most.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Cool - let's start seeing some suggestions then. Because a few folks are finger-on-the-trigger, so we might as well starting thinking of some names of guys who would a) realistically come here and b) be in a better position to right the ship and c) be as up to the "challenge" as KO is.

There is no greater lose-lose than the position Kevin Ollie was handed nor is currently in. To take over for a hall of fame coach while the program is still sanctioned and playing Tulane and ECU in its conference schedule is the imagery of nightmares for most.

Kevin Ollie was handed an elite, arguably top 10, college basketball program of all time with only a couple of seasons as an assistant coach and was paid handsomely to do so.

How is it lose-lose? Either start winning more games and the players and fans will embrace him again, or he continues to lose and he'll be relieved of his duties. Fairly simple.

Say what you want about the scholarship limited, the conference, the ban whatever. Those excuses hold up to a certain extent. The fact we are continually losing games against we have no business losing to and then are blown off the court by other 'peer' AAC programs has little to do with the aforementioned sanctions/league.

I don't hear a lot of people out here demanding Elite 8s and Conference Titles. I see a lot of people out there saying that 5th place regular season finishes in the AAC and no NCAA Tournament aren't acceptable for a) our programs standards b) the salary we are paying these coaches.

Reaction Score

Not just playing Tulane and ECU as part of its conference schedule, but LOSING to ECU in addition to losing home games to Wagner and Northeastern with a full roster. Any way you slice it, it's a mess.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not just playing Tulane and ECU as part of its conference schedule, but LOSING to ECU in addition to losing home games to Wagner and Northeastern with a full roster. Any way you slice it, it's a mess.

The schedule is the least of our problems. If anything, the schedule next season could end up being one of the better ones we've had with the Nike Tournament, Cuse, Villanova, Arizona, Wichita x 2, SMU x 2, Cincinnati x 2.

Reaction Score
True. I hesitated even putting that in. Just my opinion. More pseudo speculation - I wouldn't expect a man so grounded by his faith to entirely change his personality due to a divorce. This from a single 29 year old atheist.

One more year in the bottom of kenpom's luck rating and I may join you as an atheist.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The narrative that we are limited as a program as to where KO takes us is BS. The conference isn't attractive, but the program still has cache and the salary more than anything else would allow us to bring in a solid coach.

KO will always get credit for the National Title run and he earned that. The pattern of middling regular season success and this past seasons abject failure is more of an indication to me about his capacity as a head coach than catching lightning in a bottle with the best player in college basketball for that season over 6 games. They don't contradict each other. You can achieve the apex of success in a game, but then also fall off the mountain.

More so concerning than the up and down results of the past 3 years is how the bottom fell off this off season. Given the injuries, this past season would be difficult, but there was at least some hope that returning Jalen, Gilbert and Larrier, and then adding a top recruit in MAL, that we could make some noise next year at least in the AAC.

The fact that so many players are leaving (spare me the public comments of support for KO, if they truly believed what they are saying, why would they leave) and the stories that have come out about KO and how he's been running the program are what is really painting a dark picture here.

The conference argument is absurd.

Can't get the final four because the conference holds you back? Sure.

The conference being an issue as an excuse for this? If the conference is bad shouldn't it be easier to be competitive in it and not finish 6th?

Reaction Score

Great post. What troubled me most is not only the number of losses but all the blowouts where the team just appeared to quit once they got popped in the mouth, many times on national tv. That's not UConn basketball and I for one won't tolerate it anymore.

We talk about attendance a lot and posters say what fairweather fans we have. The Senior Day game against Cincinnati comes to mind. It was a noon game and I debated whether I wanted to drive three hours round trip for a noon campus game to see us get blown out. After a torrid stretch by Rodney, Cronin adjusted defensively, KO made no adjustment to what Cincinnati was doing and we got embarrassed on national tv.

Many of us have tried to remain optimistic and give the team unwavering support but seeing the opposing coach repeatedly outcoach KO and the team quit has gotten old quickly. Let's hope introspection by KO coupled with him getting tougher kids changes this disturbing recent culture.

Reaction Score
That's relevant how?

Because the insular deluded entitled fanbase can't see this program in context, to what it was before Jim Calhoun. They can't see that it is not nearly as appealing as they imagine, especially in the current context. One can easily make a case for BC over UConn, a school near a city and inside a top conference, with lots of money coming in. But all BC has been able to muster as a head coach is Perno's cousin, Jim Christian. Sure, there's a chance you can find a young up and comer maybe. Good luck with that. The probabilities are against UConn.

I take tykurez point. Name the replacements.

This isn't an endorsement of Ollie. It's a realization that the program could be screwed. Yet in the posts I read, people have this idea that a savior is going to come on board.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This isn't an endorsement of Ollie. It's a realization that the program could be screwed. Yet in the posts I read, people have this idea that a savior is going to come on board.

They think we will find another Calhoun soon enough if we fire Ollie. Nobody realizes how rare those are.

Reaction Score
Because the insular deluded entitled fanbase can't see this program in context, to what it was before Jim Calhoun. They can't see that it is not nearly as appealing as they imagine, especially in the current context. One can easily make a case for BC over UConn, a school near a city and inside a top conference, with lots of money coming in. But all BC has been able to muster as a head coach is Perno's cousin, Jim Christian. Sure, there's a chance you can find a young up and comer maybe. Good luck with that. The probabilities are against UConn.

God you're a moron. Seriously. The program has already been built thanks to Calhoun. The infrastructure is there and so is the history. You should be ashamed to call yourself a what, a fan? Alum? Whatever you are.

We're not in a recruiting desert. We don't have shty facilities. We don't pay peanuts. But it's easier to think 16-17 is the best we can do right? Might as well not watch anymore, we're screwed and it will only get worse. Right.

Reaction Score

The context for your argument is pre-Calhoun UConn. UConn has won four titles in the last 25 years, and BC has done nothing. Completely false equivalency. BC is hoping a coach can step in and build them up, while UConn is looking for a coach that can consistently maintain excellence.

I think a lot of the KO defenders on the board aren't really grasping the fact that no one who thinks that KO may eventually have to go have anything personally against the man. Everyone wants the program to do well, and if that's with or without KO at the helm so be it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They think we will find another Calhoun soon enough if we fire Ollie. Nobody realizes how rare those are.

This is why anybody with a brain doesn't take you seriously.

People want to contend for conference titles in a weak league and make the NCAAS.

Who here expects another Calhoun? The only people that draw parallels to Calhoun are people citing his early record along with K and other legendary coaches.

Whether you refuse to see it or not, there isn't a black/white elite top 5 program and nothingness.

Paying 3M for a coach with UConn's status should have us as a top 25 program. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom