Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See this is where it's weird for me. I saw a team that, game in game out, came out unready, yet usually battled back and made a tough game out of it. They were mentally tough in their own way.

To put it another way, if KO could figure out how to get his guys out of the gate at a good clip, they would have one a LOT more games last year.
Absolutely agree on the flat starts but there were also several games like the Cincy game I referenced where things started okay but the other team made big adjustments and we never did. The complete 40 minute efforts have been few and far between.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Be honest. Is there no one on this board you've considered prescribing an accidental overdose?
Oh, sure!! (But I'm not naming names.)

Reaction Score
I think there are some fallacies on both sides here.

To the extent that the conference and/or sanctions have been limiting factors should be evident in how we recruit, and until recently, it hasn't been a huge problem. We haven't recruited at the level of a Kentucky or Duke, but we've pretty much been at that next tier, roping in lots of four star talent and the occasional five star. Between Purvis, Hamilton, Adams, Facey, and Calhoun, that is three five stars and two four stars that have soaked up the bulk of minutes over the last three seasons, and we've filled in most of the remaining minutes with quality grad transfers. Our recruiting hasn't been so much different than Villanova's - obviously, not everything has broken our way, but the idea that we can't expect to be a top 25 type program because we're in the AAC is a crutch in my opinion.

But some of you are longing for competent basketball as if we're BC fans or something. It was only a single year ago that we finished 26th on KenPom, won the AAC tournament, and returned what was a top 20 team preseason. This narrative that the fans have been apathetic for years and only ever exposed to poor basketball does not jive with reality. What many of you clamor for - a healthy pipeline of recruits, constant buzz around the program, and postseason relevancy - is precisely what we have had. If D-Ham returns for his junior year and we don't get buried with an onslaught of injuries, we're coming off back-to-back productive seasons and nobody is having this discussion. (And I'm aware that it does not work like that, but it demonstrates the fickleness of success; if you're looking to make a holistic assessment of where this program is, you need to isolate as many variables as possible). The mood on this board the last couple off-seasons was actually quite good - people were unsatisfied with the results, but the program seemed to be moving in a positive direction. To that end, I hear what @Stairmaster is saying because it hasn't been that long since we've had the things we claim to want.

I think this is important to annotate because I can already begin to see the results of next season - good or bad - distorting the bigger picture. A world exists in which we are a top 25 team and make the sweet sixteen next season and Ollie's job is still in jeopardy. A world also exists in which we finish in the middle of the pack in the conference again but his job is secure. It's all about trajectory and that means on the court and on the trail; if we're a frustrating team next season that comes together at the end of the year and Chil is lighting it up for 2018, I'm content with that. If Jalen Adams becomes the best player in the country and we have nobody in the front court to take advantage of his talent and nobody coming in to help replace him, I'm not content. One or two or three players can distort a lot about the outlook of a program. That happened this season in a way that has caused us to believe things are worse than they are and I think the opposite could happen next season. You're not grading a coach on a curve so much as you're grading him within the context of everything else that is going on, which is why I think the ultimatums are silly.

Reaction Score

To the extent that the conference and/or sanctions have been limiting factors should be evident in how we recruit, and until recently, it hasn't been a huge problem. We haven't recruited at the level of a Kentucky or Duke, but we've pretty much been at that next tier, roping in lots of four star talent and the occasional five star. Between Purvis, Hamilton, Adams, Facey, and Calhoun, that is three five stars and two four stars that have soaked up the bulk of minutes over the last three seasons, and we've filled in most of the remaining minutes with quality grad transfers. Our recruiting hasn't been so much different than Villanova's - obviously, not everything has broken our way, but the idea that we can't expect to be a top 25 type program because we're in the AAC is a crutch in my opinion.

But some of you are longing for competent basketball as if we're BC fans or something. It was only a single year ago that we finished 26th on KenPom, won the AAC tournament, and returned what was a top 20 team preseason. This narrative that the fans have been apathetic for years and only ever exposed to poor basketball does not jive with reality. What many of you clamor for - a healthy pipeline of recruits, constant buzz around the program, and postseason relevancy - is precisely what we have had. If D-Ham returns for his junior year and we don't get buried with an onslaught of injuries, we're coming off back-to-back productive seasons and nobody is having this discussion. (And I'm aware that it does not work like that, but it demonstrates the fickleness of success; if you're looking to make a holistic assessment of where this program is, you need to isolate as many variables as possible). The mood on this board the last couple off-seasons was actually quite good - people were unsatisfied with the results, but the program seemed to be moving in a positive direction. To that end, I hear what @Stairmaster is saying because it hasn't been that long since we've had the things we claim to want.

I think this is important to annotate because I can already begin to see the results of next season - good or bad - distorting the bigger picture. A world exists in which we are a top 25 team and make the sweet sixteen next season and Ollie's job is still in jeopardy. A world also exists in which we finish in the middle of the pack in the conference again but his job is secure. It's all about trajectory and that means on the court and on the trail; if we're a frustrating team next season that comes together at the end of the year and Chil is lighting it up for 2018, I'm content with that. If Jalen Adams becomes the best player in the country and we have nobody in the front court to take advantage of his talent and nobody coming in to help replace him, I'm not content. One or two or three players can distort a lot about the outlook of a program. That happened this season in a way that has caused us to believe things are worse than they are and I think the opposite could happen next season. You're not grading a coach on a curve so much as you're grading him within the context of everything else that is going on, which is why I think the ultimatums are silly.
This is probably the most well thought out post on this board in a while. It explains both "sides" perfectly.

We are all on the same side. We all want to win. We all have that in common, sometimes it feels as though we are fans of two different teams on here. We all Bleed Blue! #LetsGoHuskies

Reaction Score

MrChamps99and04,

That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out objection.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 53
Reaction Score
God you're a moron. Seriously. The program has already been built thanks to Calhoun. The infrastructure is there and so is the history. You should be ashamed to call yourself a what, a fan? Alum? Whatever you are.

We're not in a recruiting desert. We don't have shty facilities. We don't pay peanuts. But it's easier to think 16-17 is the best we can do right? Might as well not watch anymore, we're screwed and it will only get worse. Right.

How's Georgetown been lately? John Thompson built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

How's St Johns been lately? Louie built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

How's Indiana been lately? Bobby Knight built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

Upstater's a moron? Yeah, not seeing that.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Mic. Drop.

Reaction Score
How's Georgetown been lately? John Thompson built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

How's St Johns been lately? Louie built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

How's Indiana been lately? Bobby Knight built it, so it must still be a perennial top 20 power. Right?

Upstater's a moron? Yeah, not seeing that.
lol way to miss the point. he said that "people forgot Dom Perno" which is a moronic statement that holds no relevance to our current situation. Dom Perno coached at a point in time where UConn had accomplished nothing. Ollie has had so much more to work with that the situations aren't remotely comparable. The only thing in common is that the school is still in Storrs.

Reaction Score
lol way to miss the point. he said that "people forgot Dom Perno" which is a moronic statement that holds no relevance to our current situation. Dom Perno coached at a point in time where UConn had accomplished nothing. Ollie has had so much more to work with that the situations aren't remotely comparable. The only thing in common is that the school is still in Storrs.

Uconn has been at a national level since Calhoun. But do you know why Calhoun came to UConn? Because, as he said at the time he was hired, UConn had a long history of winning and he saw them being a sleeping giant. Check out UConn's records, and all the NCAA appearances, long before Calhoun. The Perno years were a slight downturn, and UConn fans , even then, demanded a winner. Nothing really has changed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

For the record, Bobby Knight for sure did not build Indiana. Long tradition and Championships before him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The irony of course is that Upstater has argued multiple times about the strength of the Perno teams of the early 80's.

By multiple I mean a dozen.

He also is a Penn St truther.

But sure put your eggs in that basket.

Reaction Score

While I agree with most of what you said, I fully believe that being ranked in the AP poll and winning a few tourney games helps keep the name out there as recruits see highlights on Sportscenter and similar shows. Both help create a buzz about the program.

UCONN has been a ranked team very little over the past 3 seasons and has won one tourney game in that span. Both of those things need to change soon so that UConn is once again relevant on the national landscape.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Be honest. Is there no one on this board you've considered prescribing an accidental overdose?
Using the Ignore feature prevents me from exposure to unacceptable levels of toxicity.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just when I'm getting curious about the Ignore Thread feature...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While I agree with most of what you said, I fully believe that being ranked in the AP poll and winning a few tourney games helps keep the name out there as recruits see highlights on Sportscenter and similar shows. Both help create a buzz about the program.

UConn has been a ranked team very little over the past 3 seasons and has won one tourney game in that span. Both of those things need to change soon so that UConn is once again relevant on the national landscape.

Yes, I think @champs99and04 said everything well, and he's right. The part that's missing in my opinion, is that our situation in the American is much more fragile than it's been since UConn first joined the Big East, and probably ever. I believe that a time is coming when the haves and have nots will be further divided. The net result of that is that for UConn to survive with an athletic department like we envision it needs every bit of positive exposure it can get right now. UConn has to maintain a consistent level of excellence in basketball and greatly exceed expectations in football. Winning in hockey, baseball and soccer can't hurt.

Last season was a catastrophe because it sabotaged a top 20 pre-season team, and created nothing but negative news about our flagship program. So we had the lost opportunity of positive news and the reality of negative news. Then the offseason was a further catastrophe, with more negative news. Are we in a death spiral? No, probably not. But there is that perception, and we can't afford it. So whether or not it is anyone's fault, or just bad luck, this team has to be back to the rankings and tournament next year.

Reaction Score
First off I thought this was a pretty fair piece just like the news piece was. I do think there are problems and Ollie is under the gun to correct them. He probably gets a pass next season up to a point, although losses to Wagner Northeastern Tulane ECU could change that.

The other thing is that there is a difference between being tough and being an a$$hat and thinking it equals being tough. It sounds somewhat like Ollie has confused the two.

Finally the guy is being paid like an elite level coach. If you want to be considered elite you don't get to play the OJT card. That and he has been a head coach for 5 years. Time to learn to call time outs.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don't live in an echo chamber Hans.
I'm still here, but it's not ungenerous to say that there's been an ebb & flow to the signal-to-noise ratio of this thread.

Maybe my favorite moment was yesterday when I misread someone as suggesting that we *should* convene a group therapy session to hash out the psychological issues. I was really looking forward to the comments that would follow, and then saw he'd written "shouldn't."

I'd briefly imagined an alternative BYC of sorts, and wondered where it'd be held. And what would be on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom