Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why are we the only fanbase with 4 championships, numerous conference titles, tons of NCAA Tournament wins, for whom maintaining those standards is being "entitled" or "spoiled"?

Do the UK, KU, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU fanbases have these arguments and trip over themselves to lower standards? No. They find the coach who is going to deliver.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
People want competence. Few expect another Calhoun but if we can't even expect to make the tournament then we shouldn't bother having a program anymore.

I couldn't contest this point more strongly if I tried. Consistency is a nice benchmark and an upgrade from where we are now, but people will never be satisfied. I would take a top 2/3 finishes in this conference, zero embarrassing OOC losses, and at minimum a berth in the tourney every year and be pretty content. I'm in the vast minority there. People will always be clamoring for more no matter what happens on the floor. People want us to return to the days where we were ranked in the top five, going head-to-head with Duke and Kentucky both on the court (hell, they want us outrecruiting both of those schools now, which did not happen under Calhoun mind you...), going 16-2/17-3 in conference, sending multiple lottery picks to the draft every year...and they will not be happy until that happens.

Reaction Score
Paying 3M for a coach with UConn's status should have us as a top 25 program. Period.
This is 100% true. But I think everyone agrees with this sentiment. It's just that some feel that circumstances both within and beyond KO's control have led to a few down years (and I'd say 2015 and 2017 are the major ones, as 2016 certainly met this standard by the end of the year). Given that, they think he will have them as a consistent Top 25 (hell, frankly I'm of the mind we should be consistently Top 10-15, not Top 25) with a little more time. If he doesn't get there, get rid of him. The other side of this debate sees much deeper issues. That's the problem here, and both sides of it are oversimplifying in the discussion despite wanting the same thing.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Who here expects another Calhoun?

Whether you refuse to see it or not, there isn't a black/white elite top 5 program and nothingness.

Erm...

Why are we the only fanbase with 4 championships, numerous conference titles, tons of NCAA Tournament wins, for whom maintaining those standards is being "entitled" or "spoiled"?

Do the UK, KU, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU fanbases have these arguments and trip over themselves to lower standards? No. They find the coach who is going to deliver.

This poster has been pretty explicit in other threads about using Calhoun's performance as his exact standard for determining what's acceptable in a coach.

Reaction Score
I couldn't contest this point more strongly if I tried. Consistency is a nice benchmark and an upgrade from where we are now, but people will never be satisfied. I would take a top 2/3 finishes in this conference, zero embarrassing OOC losses, and at minimum a berth in the tourney every year and be pretty content. I'm in the vast minority there. People will always be clamoring for more no matter what happens on the floor. People want us to return to the days where we were ranked in the top five, going head-to-head with Duke and Kentucky both on the court (hell, they want us outrecruiting both of those schools now, which did not happen under Calhoun mind you...), going 16-2/17-3 in conference, sending multiple lottery picks to the draft every year...and they will not be happy until that happens.

Lol. I think it's funny that the "anti-Ollie" faction are labeled the doom and gloom crowd and the "positive" posters expect us to be mediocre.

Reaction Score
God you're a moron. Seriously. The program has already been built thanks to Calhoun. The infrastructure is there and so is the history. You should be ashamed to call yourself a what, a fan? Alum? Whatever you are.

We're not in a recruiting desert. We don't have shty facilities. We don't pay peanuts. But it's easier to think 16-17 is the best we can do right? Might as well not watch anymore, we're screwed and it will only get worse. Right.
One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while. I didn't know how to respond, thanks for doing the dirty work on this one.

Reaction Score

Can we do better than Ollie yes? But that isnt the issue. The issue is will we, and i think those odds are low. Now we may disagree on how good ollie is which would change the criteria for "better than". I, and others think ollie has a ton of potential and has actually already delivered. He's a champion. He's struggled the last couple yrs, but its only his 5th yr coaching. Are we going to find a young up and coming stud of a coach willing to coach UConn in the AAC? I think a lot of you would get a real dose of reality if and when KO was ever fired. Young coaches with potential are not going to be lining up to take a job at a non-power 5 program. Coaches like roy williams, jay wright and guys of that ilk have no incentive to leave wherr they are. I guess my question would be who is this coach you all think would be this major upgrade.

We all want UConn to get back to where we were. And the hard truth for the ollie doubters is that KO is our best shot

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Again, not my fault that posters on this forum have beliefs so ridiculous you think I'm making them up.
The best thing that happened to your argument in this thread was some bozo comparing Diaco to Ollie. If it weren't for that you'd have nothing to hold onto for the last 4 pages or so of bickering.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

This is dense, even for you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Erm...

This poster has been pretty explicit in other threads about using Calhoun's performance as his exact standard for determining what's acceptable in a coach.

Having a high standard for the program is different than expecting another Jim Calhoun on the sidelines and three national championships.

You're twisting his message. If other "blue blood" programs can have high expectations, we shouldn't feel any different. There pro KO camp thinks if he leaves, the program can't do any better. I don't believe that, but I hope he is the guy to do it.

Reaction Score
Having a high standard for the program is different than expecting another Jim Calhoun on the sidelines and three national championships.

You're twisting his message. If other "blue blood" programs can have high expectations, we shouldn't feel any different. There pro KO camp thinks if he leaves, the program can't do any better. I don't believe that, but I hope he is the guy to do it.
The difference between us and the blue bloods is we are in the AAC

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie was handed an elite, arguably top 10, college basketball program of all time with only a couple of seasons as an assistant coach and was paid handsomely to do so.

How is it lose-lose? Either start winning more games and the players and fans will embrace him again, or he continues to lose and he'll be relieved of his duties. Fairly simple.

Say what you want about the scholarship limited, the conference, the ban whatever. Those excuses hold up to a certain extent. The fact we are continually losing games against we have no business losing to and then are blown off the court by other 'peer' AAC programs has little to do with the aforementioned sanctions/league.

I don't hear a lot of people out here demanding Elite 8s and Conference Titles. I see a lot of people out there saying that 5th place regular season finishes in the AAC and no NCAA Tournament aren't acceptable for a) our programs standards b) the salary we are paying these coaches.
This is a well presented summary of what you and many other posters have expressed. Most of us, even those who argue on points that might make things appear from your perspective too extreme a compromise, understand the seriousness of the problem and recognize the importance of immediate needs for improvement. But isn't that stating the obvious?

The question is what can you or I or anyone outside the AD do about it? I've asked Fishy the rationale for Benedict not firing KO now instead of waiting. Naturally he couldn't speak for Benedict, but he did discuss the salary and I think discussed optics.

We may not like how things have played out and are playing out, but none of our discussions are going to impact events, so at what point do we want to put this arguing to rest? I wanted to ask @whaler11 but I'll ask you instead. What value is there to be gained if everyone agrees with a particular point of view when that point of view influences nothing? Of course I'm asking myself this as I type! :cool:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I'll let Tenspro answer this for himself if he chooses, but he has made arguments about a very explicit "Calhoun level" of success. From his posts, it's clear that coaching plays a role - "They find the coach who is going to deliver."

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? "Frankly, I think it was an insult to the program's history and a detriment to JC's own legacy that he forced upon us an unproven coach who it would take years to figure out how to run a program. That's not what elite programs do."

He wants the same levels of success JC frequently reached, and wants a coach who will get us there. How one can get there without a Calhoun-esque coach is beyond me...

Reaction Score
God you're a moron. Seriously. The program has already been built thanks to Calhoun. The infrastructure is there and so is the history. You should be ashamed to call yourself a what, a fan? Alum? Whatever you are.

We're not in a recruiting desert. We don't have shty facilities. We don't pay peanuts. But it's easier to think 16-17 is the best we can do right? Might as well not watch anymore, we're screwed and it will only get worse. Right.

Uh-huh. I'm the moron.

You have no clue. No clue whatsoever.

Reaction Score
The context for your argument is pre-Calhoun UConn. UConn has won four titles in the last 25 years, and BC has done nothing. Completely false equivalency. BC is hoping a coach can step in and build them up, while UConn is looking for a coach that can consistently maintain excellence.

I think a lot of the KO defenders on the board aren't really grasping the fact that no one who thinks that KO may eventually have to go have anything personally against the man. Everyone wants the program to do well, and if that's with or without KO at the helm so be it.

No, the context is AAC vs. Big East in its heyday.

Listen to the man himself: "I got kids to come here by selling the Big East."

You guys are totally clueless.

Reaction Score
This is why anybody with a brain doesn't take you seriously.

People want to contend for conference titles in a weak league and make the NCAAS.

Who here expects another Calhoun? The only people that draw parallels to Calhoun are people citing his early record along with K and other legendary coaches.

Whether you refuse to see it or not, there isn't a black/white elite top 5 program and nothingness.

Paying 3M for a coach with UConn's status should have us as a top 25 program. Period.

And let me remind you all, that the so-called winners of this conference have been abysmal in the NCAAs. Abysmal. Cincy and SMU don't win games. UConn, in both of Ollie's 2 trips to the tournament, has won 7 more games than SMU has in all those 4 years.

Reaction Score

Oh my God.

And people call me a moron here when I said people can't see the real context.

READ THIS POST UP ABOVE AND TELL ME THE DELUSIONS AMONG THE FIRE OLLIE FANS AREN'T TOTALLY WACKY.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'll let Tenspro answer this for himself if he chooses, but he has made arguments about a very explicit "Calhoun level" of success. From his posts, it's clear that coaching plays a role - "They find the coach who is going to deliver."

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? "Frankly, I think it was an insult to the program's history and a detriment to JC's own legacy that he forced upon us an unproven coach who it would take years to figure out how to run a program. That's not what elite programs do."

He wants the same levels of success JC frequently reached, and wants a coach who will get us there. How one can get there without a Calhoun-esque coach is beyond me...

For the one millionth time... Expecting a competently run program that has the near future in mind and properly planned for in recruiting while not forgetting about each incoming commit until they bail, mixed in with a "expectation" of an NCAA berth (in an easy, low competition conference no less) with little to no WTF losses is literally all I need to be extatic, which is a reflection of how far we are from that simple, basic request just stated. I don't need to be in the Champions Classic every year beating Duke and Kentucky and starting top 5 every November. I just want to turn on a UConn men's game and not have a "wtf" Kevin Ollie signature sideline face on for the entirety of our 2 hour games. I want to see some real basketball, I want to feel like when a shot goes up that it will actually have a good chance of going in and not feel like every 2 baskets we string together looks like a total accident, which has been the case for over 2 years now.

To sit here and say we are spoiled by putting words in a collective faction's mouth simply to prop up your straw man arguments is the core of this whole boneyard drama dichotomy. No one is asking for a final four every year (which as a matter of fact programs supposedly at UConn's tier DO expect annually), just a program run with competence.

I love Kevin Ollie the man, but his display of having a full grasp on every minute detail under his umbrella of responsibility at a high major men's basketball program is currently dismal. A coach not knowing three of his core players in a depleted roster already have a foot out of the door? That blindsides you? That should never happen, any leader of a team knows that personality management is basically the top duty for a coach of high level athletes. KO insisting he didnt ask anyone to leave and that he was blindsided by the transfers did not help paint a picture that he has a good grip on the things he literally gets paid to do.

It's 2017, the 2014 post-title honeymoon era is over.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Take a look at what's happening up in Syracuse. They're entering the phase of their sanctions where they really start to feel the impact. They're having a hell of a time getting recruits right now, and it's not getting better. That's with a HOF coach and a schedule full of ACC opponents. That's why I have trouble understanding folks who brush off the sanctions we had, which have had their biggest impacts just these past few years.

How would Calhoun have navigated these past five years? Off brand-name alone, it's probably safe to assume he'd have a bit more success grabbing some kids. But we'll never really know how he would have performed on the recruiting trail, with limitations and reduced scholarships in place, trying to convince kids to come play in the AAC. To hold KO to those same standards is incredibly short-sighted.

Literally nobody has said a 16-17 season is acceptable. But there's a shocking amount of cognitive impairment in some of these takes.

Reaction Score

To be fair, I didn't say they can't do better. I said it would be a rare thing to find a young up and comer who will get them to the top again.

Reaction Score
One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while. I didn't know how to respond, thanks for doing the dirty work on this one.

There are posts from you in 2014 saying Ollie better shape up or you will be calling for his head.

You were against the guy from the get-go.

Reaction Score
Oh my God.

And people call me a moron here when I said people can't see the real context.

READ THIS POST UP ABOVE AND TELL ME THE DELUSIONS AMONG THE FIRE OLLIE FANS AREN'T TOTALLY WACKY.

You are unhinged. You are trying so hard to be a "realist" when in reality you are acting like we need to get to a bomb shelter because the world is about to blow up.

Sorry if I can't take you seriously when you've been here for 6 years and have a 2:1 messages:likes ratio. But it's everyone else that's dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom