Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Follow up article to the interview he did with Ollie earlier this past week.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...lumn-ollie-problems-0423-20170422-column.html

Yet recent weeks in conversations with The Courant, a handful of knowledgeable sources have raised questions about Ollie's reluctance to allow people to get close to him, about his reluctance to listen to his assistant coaches on strategic matters, about a chilly distance from Calhoun, about a disinclination to burn up the recruiting trail.

pj

Reaction Score
Yet recent weeks in conversations with The Courant, a handful of knowledgeable sources have raised questions about Ollie's reluctance to allow people to get close to him, about his reluctance to listen to his assistant coaches on strategic matters, about a chilly distance from Calhoun, about a disinclination to burn up the recruiting trail.

All behaviors symptomatic of depression and common in people who have recently divorced. Hopefully he's over it.

Reaction Score
Follow up article to the interview he did with Ollie earlier this past week.

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Holy crap that's an extraordinarily bleak sentence.

pj

Reaction Score
Here's the key to KO's career:

Last month, Rodney Purvis tweeted out about "fake love." So did Jackson. It stemmed from a lyric by Drake, and while it was unclear if it was directed at Ollie, the term took on a life of its own among some fans and some around the program. ... I'm not buying for a minute that Ollie is a phony. Nevertheless, Ollie has to close out any notion of this with his players.

If KO truly loves his players and they are conscious of it, then no matter how tough and demanding a coach he is, they will love him back and everything will work. If they think he doesn't love them, then a demanding coach becomes tiresome, the players will get demoralized and look elsewhere. Ollie needs to make sure his actions live out his beliefs.

I think we have a great coach here, I really do. I'm looking forward to KO proving all the doubters here wrong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here's the key to KO's career:

Last month, Rodney Purvis tweeted out about "fake love." So did Jackson. It stemmed from a lyric by Drake, and while it was unclear if it was directed at Ollie, the term took on a life of its own among some fans and some around the program. ... I'm not buying for a minute that Ollie is a phony. Nevertheless, Ollie has to close out any notion of this with his players.

If KO truly loves his players and they are conscious of it, then no matter how tough and demanding a coach he is, they will love him back and everything will work. If they think he doesn't love them, then a demanding coach becomes tiresome, the players will get demoralized and look elsewhere. Ollie needs to make sure his actions live out his beliefs.

I think we have a great coach here, I really do. I'm looking forward to KO proving all the doubters here wrong.
We've all known for some time Jeff reads The Boneyard. I've interacted with him in this forum personally. This paragraph is a summary of our threads.

This spin on Rodney supports the negative tone in this forum. But even the negative group for the most part suspected Rodney was referring to the departing group. It's why Jeff prefaced the paragraph with the statement unclear.

My concern is the "handful" of anonymous sources. There are folks in this forum who have had contact with them. I'd love a PM from anyone who could let me know who they are. I would like to eliminate the suspicion that they are Kevin and Ricky and the other coaches who are upset with being recruited over.

Not saying that KO hasn't changed and is part of the problem. But in relationship tensions there are always two sides to a story.

C

Chief00

Chief had reported the Calhoun relationship non-communication some time ago and several other criticisms were valid including the Coach in the lockerroom vs the presser.
Having said that, its not very becoming the focus of Glen Miller and his buddies. At this point, he should be focus on finding a job rather than backstabbing his former boss, which makes the former more difficult because what coach wants to hire a back stabbing assistant?
Glen failed as a Bigs coach - don't blame KO on that. The gimmick zones poor execution - that's on Glen as well. He also had some well documented recruiting failures. If anything KO gave Miller too much recruiting autonomy and he wasn't up to the task.

True, though KO needs to break out of his funk.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Chief had reported the Calhoun relationship non-communication some time ago and several other criticisms were valid including the Coach in the lockerroom vs the presser.
Having said that, its not very becoming the focus of Glen Miller and his buddies. At this point, he should be focus on finding a job rather than backstabbing his former boss, which makes the former more difficult because what coach wants to hire a back stabbing assistant?
Glen failed as a Bigs coach - don't blame KO on that. The gimmick zones poor execution - that's on Glen as well. He also had some well documented recruiting failures. If anything KO gave Miller too much recruiting autonomy and he wasn't up to the task.

True, though KO needs to break out of his funk.
It's that funk that I've always been concerned about. I've known for some time you have sources. There are times I don't like the way you come across in this forum and believe you mix up what you know with what you believe, but I'm wondering how much of this is only on KO and how much is the result of resentment in the ranks over KO's decisions.

If KO is tough on players and doesn't get support from his coaching team that's a problem unless KO is irrational with his handling of the players. JC was never one to handle players lightly. If KO is getting tough on people that's a welcome change as long as he's not just making things up. If it's legitimate and his change was not accepted by his staff either they need to change with him or move on. On the other hand if KO is blaming people without just cause then that's a big problem.

I don't want him to nail players in public. That Drake quote is being turned on it's head over this situation. The last thing players need is public ridicule. I'm sure KO would love to let us know the players behavior but that would put him in a poor light more than the dichotomy of approach.

If Benedict has interviewed people Jeff Jacobs quotes, then why hasn't he fired KO at this time? It would be the perfect time to have done it.

So two questions please. Is it possible the negative reporting from Jeff and people in this forum has as much to do with the resentment of KO's coaches as KO's funk and second why, if all the reporting is accurate (it's on KO only), did AD Dave not fire KO?

And if you could PM me your sources I'd appreciate it.

Reaction Score
"Everybody gets caught up in the system, the system, the system,'" Ollie said, pointing to Niels Giffey as a player he adjusted to. "I'm not this guy who is just in this rigid system."

I read it differently. Neils was a rigid player that KO adjusted to dealing with.

I'm not sure what it means. Who needs to adjust to Giffey? He was one of the most versatile players UConn has had recently and would play any role the coaches wanted him to play. Just seems like a weird example.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm confident that KO will figure it out and "UConn" basketball will be back. I understand why KO may be trying to distance himself from Calhoun, but denying advice from a hall of fame coach is flat out stupidity--especially when having difficulties with the front court.
That could be spin. Personally I think JC removed himself from day to day discussion to let KO develop on his own. Perhaps JC had adjustment problems with retirement as someone suggested, but whatever his reasons I was glad he did not do a Lou Carnesecca on KO.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what it means. Who needs to adjust to Giffey? He was one of the most versatile players UConn has had recently and would play any role the coaches wanted him to play. Just seems like a weird example.
Not at all. He used that versatility to play Niels in roles that took advantage of other teams flaws. He even used him as a five in that championship run playing small ball. On paper UConn should have been destroyed with that line up but it proved to be a brilliant approach.

Reaction Score
He was saying he changed what they wanted to do offensively when Giffey started hitting the 3 his senior year. Giffey shot up like 15-17% from 3 in the one off season.

"My philosophy on the offensive end, I want flexible basketball players. I want versatile basketball players. I want basketball players that have great basketball IQs. Everybody gets caught up in the system, the system, the system. I'm a coach, 'Make me change my system.' For instance, Niels Giffey. I didn't know he was going to come back and be this prolific three-point shooter. I didn't have that in my system. We were pick-and-pop DeAndre [Daniels]. He came back and I adjusted my system to the development of my players. I'm not this guy who is just in this rigid system. This is how I got to be. I think the greatest coaches are the ones who are able to make adjustments to their personnel. I played big mostly the whole year with Kentan Facey and Amida Brimah."

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We've all known for some time Jeff reads The Boneyard. I've interacted with him in this forum personally. This paragraph is a summary of our threads.

This spin on Rodney supports the negative tone in this forum. But even the negative group for the most part suspected Rodney was referring to the departing group. It's why Jeff prefaced the paragraph with the statement unclear.

My concern is the "handful" of anonymous sources. There are folks in this forum who have had contact with them. I'd love a PM from anyone who could let me know who they are. I would like to eliminate the suspicion that they are Kevin and Ricky and the other coaches who are upset with being recruited over.

Not saying that KO hasn't changed and is part of the problem. But in relationship tensions there are always two sides to a story.
If Jacobs bases his articles on the boneyard he should be fired

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If Jacobs bases his articles on the boneyard he should be fired
We're a good sounding board for him. Even with all the weirdness that takes place here, we do represent the passionate fan. And what we express in these forums, rightly or wrongly, has to be representative of what the majority of "silent" fans are thinking.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am not the biggest Ollie fan, but it is foolish to think a guy who hung on after being knocked down so many times in the NBA is inflexible and can't figure out how to survive "this", is ludicrous. He made a career of listening and working hard.

And by the way, how many of us kicked the chair or threw something after watching a lack of rebounding, selfishness and stupidity of last years team? If you think KO was a madman behind doors- he should have been. This was the most UnUCONN team I had seen since the late 80's.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I don't trust Jacobs with his sources, but how in world could his relationship with Calhoun have soured?

That's baffling if true.
Besides Chief, there have been other people who have pointed this out on here. If it's true then I'd love to know why.

C

Chief00

It's that funk that I've always been concerned about. I've known for some time you have sources. There are times I don't like the way you come across in this forum and believe you mix up what you know with what you believe, but I'm wondering how much of this is only on KO and how much is the result of resentment in the ranks over KO's decisions.

If KO is tough on players and doesn't get support from his coaching team that's a problem unless KO is irrational with his handling of the players. JC was never one to handle players lightly. If KO is getting tough on people that's a welcome change as long as he's not just making things up. If it's legitimate and his change was not accepted by his staff either they need to change with him or move on. On the other hand if KO is blaming people without just cause then that's a big problem.

I don't want him to nail players in public. That Drake quote is being turned on it's head over this situation. The last thing players need is public ridicule. I'm sure KO would love to let us know the players behavior but that would put him in a poor light more than the dichotomy of approach.

If Benedict has interviewed people Jeff Jacobs quotes, then why hasn't he fired KO at this time? It would be the perfect time to have done it.

So two questions please. Is it possible the negative reporting from Jeff and people in this forum has as much to do with the resentment of KO's coaches as KO's funk and second why, if all the reporting is accurate (it's on KO only), did AD Dave not fire KO?

And if you could PM me your sources I'd appreciate it.

I think JC came across as tough love to most but not all players. He also was at his best when a kid needed a father figure. The bottomline is his former players call and ask him for favors twenty years later - be they stars or bench players.

KO, I don't know about in that way - what type of relationship he will have with his ex players? Of course, that reflects their experiences as players with life experiences thrown in. He seems to have a pretty good relationship with Kemba and Bazz (took some work).

I told KO a few years ago in a joking way - to tone down all this open public religious stuff - cuz people will hold you to that standard. I always thought that assistant football coach from ND got screwed at UConn in his first few months by making a comment about Jesus - that was probably fine in his former job but wasn't tolerated here for better or worse, while KO was held to a different standard. He did not disagree. And I do think KO has pulled back some - but while he may feel it's something he aspires to each day and uses it as a goal - many in the public hold him to that standard because of the image he built. I think that all makes it harder to let other people in.

The NBA role model stuff is all relative. In terms of work habits I have always known KO to work hard and be on time. I can tell by reactions to my Drummond post that many here don't understand - the NBA is a whole another World. Given the wealth and fame players experience at a young age with a million temptations - being a model citizen there is quite different than a model citizen in your neighborhood. It's just a different World and standard - from knowing some guys who have lived it. Fair or unfair that's reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We're a good sounding board for him. Even with all the weirdness that takes place here, we do represent the passionate fan. And what we express in these forums, rightly or wrongly, has to be representative of what the majority of "silent" fans are thinking.
But you have to realize 50% are either trolls or "fans" that come out only when the program is doing bad

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think JC came across as tough love to most but not all players. He also was at his best when a kid needed a father figure. The bottomline is his former players call and ask him for favors twenry years later - stars or bench players.

KO, I don't know about in that way - what type of relationship he will have with his ex players? Of course, that reflects their experiences as players with life experiences thrown in.
I told KO a couple years ago in a joking way - to tone down all this open public religious stuff - I always thought that assistant football coach from ND got screwed at UConn in his first few months by making a comment about Jesus - that was probably fine in his former job but wasn't tolerated here for better or worse, while KO was held to different standard. And I do think KO has pulled back some - but while he may feel it's something he aspires to each day and uses it as a goal - many in the public hold him to that standard because of the image he built. I think that all makes it harder to let other people in.
The NBA role model stuff is all relative. In terms of work habits I have always known KO to work hard and be on time. I can tell by reactions to my Drummond post that many here don't understand - the NBA is a whole another World. Given the wealth and fame players experience at a young age with a million temptations - being a model citizen there may quite different than a model citizen in your neighborhood. It's just a different Workd from knowing some guys who have lived it.
Well that's a tangent that I didn't see coming. Leave it to you to point out that people have reigned him in on his public religious statements is behind the funk. I give you credit for an incredible imagination. I'm sure people here will fine it a welcome relief to know that's the reason for his funk as opposed to the divorce.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But you have to realize 50% are either trolls or "fans" that come out only when the program is doing bad
I'm not the one you should be having this conversation with. Jeff is the person you should be asking why he comes here and does the stuff he does. I'm just pointing it out that it isn't just conjecture he does it.

Reaction Score
Chief,
I think JC came across as tough love to most but not all players. He also was at his best when a kid needed a father figure. The bottomline is his former players call and ask him for favors twenry years later - stars or bench players.

KO, I don't know about in that way - what type of relationship he will have with his ex players? Of course, that reflects their experiences as players with life experiences thrown in.
I told KO a couple years ago in a joking way - to tone down all this open public religious stuff - I always thought that assistant football coach from ND got screwed at UConn in his first few months by making a comment about Jesus - that was probably fine in his former job but wasn't tolerated here for better or worse, while KO was held to different standard. And I do think KO has pulled back some - but while he may feel it's something he aspires to each day and uses it as a goal - many in the public hold him to that standard because of the image he built. I think that all makes it harder to let other people in.
The NBA role model stuff is all relative. In terms of work habits I have always known KO to work hard and be on time. I can tell by reactions to my Drummond post that many here don't understand - the NBA is a whole another World. Given the wealth and fame players experience at a young age with a million temptations - being a model citizen there may quite different than a model citizen in your neighborhood. It's just a different Workd from knowing some guys who have lived it.
From my own experience playing and being around Ball players and coaches, all smart coaches take care of their X players, their is no downside only upside so to say we are not sure if KO is doing that it is silly.

KO wasn't even Kevin Durant's coach and KD still talks about him playing an important role in his development and OKC winning habits.

My true belief is....

No matter if KO is the coach at Uconn or somewhere else KO will be successful, as a Uconn fan I hope he stays for the next 20 years, our program will be in great hands.

Remember he already brought us a national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom