Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
wonder if that means fall of 2016, or just this past fall.
In October, after the FBI stuff, the NCAA asked all programs to conduct internal reviews. UConn hired outside counsel who in the course of their own investigation found irregularities. UConn passed the info on to Indianapolis, who has begun their own investigation.

Reaction Score
That suit guy was involved in shenanigans at other schools, correct? Isn't that why we even know about him?
What became of the investigations at those other schools?

Reaction Score
So we're going to pull a cuse and self-impose a postseason ban on a year when we're going nowhere anyways?

Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure what the Courant is getting at.

From October 2017: NCAA Board of Directors requiring self-review of each D-I men’s basketball program

The NCAA has directed all Division I programs to examine their men’s basketball programs for potential rules violations following an FBI probe of the sport, and Kansas — for one — says it has followed through on the request.

So UConn, along with all other MBB programs, were directed by the NCAA to review their programs. UConn did, and now with these new allegations, have retained the same law firm used during that internal review.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
In October, after the FBI stuff, the NCAA asked all programs to conduct internal reviews. UConn hired outside counsel who in the course of their own investigation found irregularities. UConn passed the info on to Indianapolis, who has begun their own investigation.

Did you see this in an article or do you have an inside source?

very interesting if true

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Why would any coach want to come work for a school that allows their AD to leak information against his own staff?

Nobody will ever be able to prove it. Welcome to the business world. It's about time we started acting a little more cutthroat.

You think UNC played fair with the NCAA? Get busy livin or get busy dyin.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know what to think. The thought that AD Dave set this up is ridiculous so let's toss that out. You don't bring this type of heat onto your own program even to save 9mill. The timing would suggest it could be related to Sid Wilson. I also don't believe they were paying/bribing recruits because what do they have to show for it? Although Jalen whipping around campus in a brand new Audi raises a brow...but im not going to press that. Has to be tampering of some sort with either Sid or one of the other guys that has transferred in. I've reached out to a couple people. I'll be back

Reaction Score
After seeing the tweet from UConn Insiders I feel a little better about the situation. I think it's something minor, if anything. Something came up during the mandated internal review and now the NCAA is looking into it on their own. I doubt it's anything serious but then again we're UConn; we'll get a 3-year ban regardless of what we did.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It would be the most UConn thing ever if every school was asked to take a look at their men's bball programs, then we actually did, we found something minor, and then instead of covering it up we let the NCAA know because "it's the right thing to do".

It would be the most NCAA thing ever if they gave us a 2 year post season ban, to make a point that it is taking this stuff very seriously now.

And of course we will be the only school to self report a violation

Reaction Score
and if we implicated ourselves while applying for a waiver for Sid that'd be pretty funny. really would put a spotlight on the ineptitude of the entire athletic department we've all been complaining about.

Reaction Score
oh shut up, don't act like this is what you were talking about. What you said is a WAY different hypothetical than this. I'm so sick of you I don't know why everyone is seemingly just cool with you being around.
It's the same reason everyone likes having the drunk Uncle around. Nobody pays him any real attention, but it's always interesting to hear what kind of babble will come out of his mouth.

Reaction Score
Of course ESPN has us as one of the top stories. I hate how they love to see our demise.

Unlike in the past, if you click on the comments section under the article, almost all the comments are more or less supportive of us.

Most are along the lines of the NCAA is terrible. Also a lot of comments talking about UNC, Louisville etc.

I guess an upside to being bad is not as many people hate you.

Reaction Score
hope its nothing. The fact that Miller was fired abruptly at the end of last season could be linked to this. he was highly involved in recruiting.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault mentioned to someone on Twitter that up until the announcement he had heard nothing regarding this. Makes me think that the news came to light because
1) It's about Sid Wilson
2) NCAA handled appeal of Sid Wilson, denied it. During process, received "complaint" from SJU or coaching staff.
3) Complaint was acted on once appeal was done for the sake of fairness (I know, I know), and thus, Jacobs broke story.

Reaction Score
I challenge you to find one post on this site where I mention buyout as my reason for keeping Ollie. I wanted to keep Ollie ( conditionally) for other reasons. I'm not one of the " buyout hand cuffs us" guys here. Even if realistically it probably does a bit that has never been my focus on the KO argument.
Ollie will be the bright spot when all is said and done. His above water approach is what is going to get the rats off the ship. Now I see what metaphor was all about!!!!! Oh my god that just sunk in. Omg another pun on the same hook. What? This is gold but reall. Was this what his ship speech was eluding too?

Reaction Score
and if we implicated ourselves while applying for a waiver for Sid that'd be pretty funny. really would put a spotlight on the ineptitude of the entire athletic department we've all been complaining about.

If that happened then heads should roll.The waiver was a long shot anyway and if UConn threw themselves under the bus because of it... LOL

Reaction Score
Agreed. You've professed a much more optimistic version of my view: a good Kevin Ollie is our best option at coach. I still believe it, but last night was the first time in two years I saw the team finally move away from isolation/pick and roll offense. Notice the results. The defense was stellar after the first five minutes, and while the rebounding sucked in the first half, they adjusted at halftime and dominated the boards. I had essentially given up on him changing. So I took a baby step back into thinking maybe he can see the light and adjust his philosophy.

For everyone bashing the talent, I never bought that. These kids are better than many of the teams we have been losing to. Easily could have been a 20 win team even without Gilbert.
Also no ball stopping/fumbling Larrier.

Reaction Score
It would be the most UConn thing ever if every school was asked to take a look at their men's bball programs, then we actually did, we found something minor, and then instead of covering it up we let the NCAA know because "it's the right thing to do".

It would be the most NCAA thing ever if they gave us a 2 year post season ban, to make a point that it is taking this stuff very seriously now.

And of course we will be the only school to self report a violation
The insult to injury, kick the dog, "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years probation"* = the likelihood is recruiting hand ties or a loss of scholarship. Sadly, a two year postseason ban right now might be akin to barring the team from the Academy Awards and the Miss USA pageant.

*Tark

Reaction Score
"According to Jacobs, who explains the situation in greater detail, Kevin Ollie’s contract includes a “just cause” stipulation that states the contract can, under certain circumstances, be voided if the coach is found to have violated NCAA rules. The wording of the clause is vague, and it is considered unlikely that Ollie would be fired unless the NCAA finds serious wrongdoing."

Will this be how they get rid of Ollie? Wondering how they were tipped off..
Wonder if they could be counter sued for defamation

Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault mentioned to someone on Twitter that up until the announcement he had heard nothing regarding this. Makes me think that the news came to light because
1) It's about Sid Wilson
2) NCAA handled appeal of Sid Wilson, denied it. During process, received "complaint" from SJU or coaching staff.
3) Complaint was acted on once appeal was done for the sake of fairness (I know, I know), and thus, Jacobs broke story.

It will be handled much quicker than UNC I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom