Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't wait to be steaming mad about what our 'violations' might be. Did we send flowers to someone's family when a family member passed? Please ban us for a few years while the Adidas schools continue to see no punishment and UNC bebop and skat all over us

Reaction Score
I don’t see how one assumes it’s Wilson. If they screwed around on Wilson why would they appeal when they knew there is a 0% chance he gets the waiver?

If you rob a bank, do you go and try to deposit some in your savings account the next day?
Who is saying they did something wrong? This could be the pettiness of St. Johns and the NCAA is now forced to look into things. Its possible they come back and find nothing. I don't see how it could be anyone else. This is a head scratcher.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Chief on Sunday.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but just to be clear - what we're implying is that UConn (administration), either implicitly or explicitly, saw a train coming down the track straight for KO and instead of trying to push him off the tracks, they tied him down. Cool cool. Yep, that's definitely going to attract talent on the court and in the head coaching office.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I challenge you to find one post on this site where I mention buyout as my reason for keeping Ollie. I wanted to keep Ollie ( conditionally) for other reasons. I'm not one of the " buyout hand cuffs us" guys here. Even if realistically it probably does a bit that has never been my focus on the KO argument.

Agreed. You've professed a much more optimistic version of my view: a good Kevin Ollie is our best option at coach. I still believe it, but last night was the first time in two years I saw the team finally move away from isolation/pick and roll offense. Notice the results. The defense was stellar after the first five minutes, and while the rebounding sucked in the first half, they adjusted at halftime and dominated the boards. I had essentially given up on him changing. So I took a baby step back into thinking maybe he can see the light and adjust his philosophy.

For everyone bashing the talent, I never bought that. These kids are better than many of the teams we have been losing to. Easily could have been a 20 win team even without Gilbert.

Reaction Score
I doubt it's anything serious, and yes I'm allowed to speculate about this just like Jeff Jacobs and everyone else who knows NOTHING about the investigation.

So my speculation is this, We had contact with Sid Wilson while he was enrolled at St John's. Something like a phone call to see if Ollie was still interested.

If the player initiates the phone call, I din't think Ollie gets in trouble. These students that want to transfer already have destinations in mind before they announce it.

Reaction Score
Agreed. You've professed a much more optimistic version of my view: a good Kevin Ollie is our best option at coach. I still believe it, but last night was the first time in two years I saw the team finally move away from isolation/pick and roll offense. Notice the results. The defense was stellar after the first five minutes, and while the rebounding sucked in the first half, they adjusted at halftime and dominated the boards. I had essentially given up on him changing. So I took a baby step back into thinking maybe he can see the light and adjust his philosophy.

For everyone bashing the talent, I never bought that. These kids are better than many of the teams we have been losing to. Easily could have been a 20 win team even without Gilbert.
Agreed. And while people continue to use talent and experience as an excuse for this season, they conveniently forget that we were just as bad last year even though we had quite a bit of talent and experience. Of course, there is always a weakazzed response and it ususally has something to do with not enough ballhandlers. We had plenty of ball handlers last year. You don't need Pete Maravich to beat Houston.

And I like how people are so quick to bash anyone that suggests we sue the NCAA. Wasn't the accepted reason for the NCAA caving to UNC that UNC threatened the NCAA with a pack of lawyers?

What a goddamned mess this program is!!!!!!

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
No. More like AD Dave just telling Jeff to his face with the recorder off.

The personal stuff I heard was nothing that would create cause.
Exactly UConn leaked this

Reaction Score
I play Clue 2-3 times a week with my 8 yo daughter. If I’ve beaten her 3-4 times in a row , even after I’ve solved the ‘crime’ in the next game - I pretend I haven’t.

Does anyone need the quid pro quo spelled out for them?
Hold on, after 3-4 times in a row THEN you let the 8-yr old win?!
Yes, lets hear the conspiracy theory please, you merciless Clue sleuth.

Reaction Score
"According to Jacobs, who explains the situation in greater detail, Kevin Ollie’s contract includes a “just cause” stipulation that states the contract can, under certain circumstances, be voided if the coach is found to have violated NCAA rules. The wording of the clause is vague, and it is considered unlikely that Ollie would be fired unless the NCAA finds serious wrongdoing."

Will this be how they get rid of Ollie? Wondering how they were tipped off..

Reaction Score
So, I’m guessing the NCAA will be investigating Providence as well for the dirty antics that appear to have happened there with MAL?

For those thinking/hoping this investigation is coming from our AD...you better hope that’s not the case. IF it was, we’d likely be looking for a new AD before a new men’s BB coach. The whole Rhet Lanshlee deal was great, but not one person at UConn can explain how an offensive coordinator from a top 5 team in the country from the SEC took a pay cut to come here for the same job. That was mark #1 on AD David Benedict in my book that something fishy might be going on. Let’s hope this is just St. John’s being salty and nothing else, because if it is our AD or administration they will be gone. There’s zero room for that kind of BS and if we’re trying to rebuild a program there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Reaction Score
The fact that it coincides with the eligibility process makes me think you are 99% on target with your guess.

Something came up in the evaluation.
I don't know how this process works. It seems like we are assuming guilt. Could it be that when St. Johns refused to comply, the NCAA is forced to do its due diligence? Am I naive to believe that its still possible that nothing comes of this?

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
This was leaked by UConn to get rid of K.O. .. Benedict has wanted him gone for awhile .

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
IF... And by if I mean a BIGGGG if..... AD David Benedict leaked this to Jacobs in order to fire Ollie, I can't see how 1) anyone could feel good about that happening, and 2) AD David Benedict should be fired immediately.

Reaction Score
What a goddamned mess this program is!!!!!!

I think that is the issue. Since Shabazz graduated, most everything has been a struggle. Things shouldn't be an uphill battle in so many ways. It was nice to see the team play well last night, but that should be the norm, not some sort of outlier.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
IF... And by if I mean a BIGGGG if..... AD David Benedict leaked this to Jacobs in order to fire Ollie, I can't see how 1) anyone could feel good about that happening, and 2) AD David Benedict should be fired immediately.

He should be celebrated.

Getting ahead of these stories is not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom