Jeff Goodman in Storrs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman in Storrs

Reaction Score
I'm very confident I've never seen anyone suggest Andre would or should run the point full time. At this point I'm just honestly confused what your point is. The whole exchange started because you took exception to someone suggesting that the team isn't in trouble if Andre is handling point duties at times and now we've worked all the way to you suggesting that his ability to handle some of the point duties "is huge".

Think you’re the one taking this beyond what it was. There’s others suggesting he could be the point but you probably don’t read those. But by all means continue on your rampage of my replies, we dont agree I could care less what you think honestly. Please ignore me and do what’s best lol.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are waiting for him to live up to the hype that preceded his coming to Uconn and maybe that's not his fault. I am hoping for the best for him and every other player on the team.
Young people come from all kinds of backgrounds and makeups. It just seems to fall on the most talented kids when they get recruited. Jalen Adams, Bouk et al. I think Hawk has a good attitude and wants to excel. That's very much in his favor. Perhaps he just needs a little more time. As I said; I really hope for the best for him.

And yes, I do expect good 3 pt production from Karaban even though he hasn't played a single college game. Time will tell.

Contradictory and hypocritical, but still well stated i suppose.

Reaction Score
Definitely do not want Jackson at the point. We need to figure out if Newton is our PG by PK85.

Piping hot takes: Karaban and Sanogo over-perform this year and Hawkins and Jackson underperform. Newton is our leading scorer. One of Alleyne or Diarra falls out of the rotation.

It's piping hot alright........
I can't see a scenario where Sanogo "over-performs" and Newton is our leading scorer. That would mean 2 close to or over 20 point scorers, which just isn't going to happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Over the top? Barely seen Samson play for UConn but you are projecting that he has BE starter talent?
Yes. I am certain that he does, I think he probably has "NBA" athletic talent. The question is when he figures out how to use it. He's another African kid who hasn't been playing long, but who appears to have a strong work ethic.

Reaction Score
I can't see a scenario where Sanogo "over-performs" and Newton is our leading scorer. That would mean 2 close to or over 20 point scorers, which just isn't going to happen.

This as well as the idea from Goodman that Sanogo/Hawkins need to get 35 between them. There will be multiple 8pt -16pt averages I’m thinking.

Reaction Score
Hawkins started and ended his freshman year injured and had a pretty rough case of COVID in the middle. If anyone can be reasonably expected to make a jump, it’s him.

I think Hawkins was in the concussion protocol.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins was in the concussion protocol.

Yeah, that was the injury that caused him to miss most of the Creighton game (when it happened), the last regular season game, and the Big East and NCAA tournaments.

Reaction Score
Amen. Size is overrated in point guards, as the Harrison twins proved in 2011.
All four championships featured smallish guards that lead the team and could shoot and distribute and play defense although, admittedly, some had their issues with either offense or defense.
On those teams yes. But this is a different coach that plays a different D. I don’t recall JC or KO playing a high hedge with the bigs. If I’m not mistaken JC’s plan was to funnel folks into the paint to get swatted by Mek or Hash. I think we were pretty good at blocking shots

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
On those teams yes. But this is a different coach that plays a different D. I don’t recall JC or KO playing a high hedge with the bigs. If I’m not mistaken JC’s plan was to funnel folks into the paint to get swatted by Mek or Hash. I think we were pretty good at blocking shots
With Clinigan a change back to this approach if possible will be best. We are still a great shot blocking team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With Clinigan a change back to this approach if possible will be best. We are still a great shot blocking team.
Yes, and the size and interchangeable defenders on the perimeter also helps to allow us to use that approach. It will be interesting to see. We may hedge some, but I expect we don't need to do it as much.

Reaction Score

We've historically forced guards baseline and used the shot blockers to stop them. As opposed to a packline that is going to force the guards to the middle.

Hurley is generally forcing baseline in the base defense, but the high hedge with the big usually means that the shotblocker (usually the 4... which is why Johnson and Akok were great recruits for our defensive system) needs a little more mobility than back in the JC days.

Reaction Score
Yes, and the size and interchangeable defenders on the perimeter also helps to allow us to use that approach. It will be interesting to see. We may hedge some, but I expect we don't need to do it as much.
I hope you are correct but the video we saw of DC running around the 3 pt line give me pause

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley may use a different technique to do it but that's exactly what he's done too. We funneled guys into the paint towards Whaley and Sanogo. Will be interesting to see if he still does it this year when we're playing a smaller lineup the majority of the time

Reaction Score
I hope you are correct but the video we saw of DC running around the 3 pt line give me pause
I don't know think you can read anything into that as far as Hurley's plans go. This is just the modern game. There are going to be opposing centers that can shoot from 3 and DC will have to step out and guard them if that's the matchup.

Reaction Score
I don't know think you can read anything into that as far as Hurley's plans go. This is just the modern game. There are going to be opposing centers that can shoot from 3 and DC will have to step out and guard them if that's the matchup.
Who? This isn't the NBA with Jokic, Embiid, and KAT.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley may use a different technique to do it but that's exactly what he's done too. We funneled guys into the paint towards Whaley and Sanogo. Will be interesting to see if he still does it this year when we're playing a smaller lineup the majority of the time

Usually when you're talking basketball it's not "will we funnel?" but "where will we funnel?"

Coaches know there are guards you simply can't stop from beating a defender 1v1 (like Bouk), so you plan ahead and decide where you've going to force him, so the bigs can plan ahead and be ready to step in at the rim and take a charge or swat it. You look at packline defenses, and they are always funneling guards into the middle of the floor. Virginia is the classic example. Traditional man defense (Hurley), they're trying to force guards to the baseline. You can even see it in the shell drills the team was doing in practice the other day. When Hurley drove and Hassan (I think) took the charge, the defender had force Hurley to the baseline.

The wrinkles you add like screen coverages make it more complex, but it's still predictable for help defenders. When you watch high hedges that Whaley executed so well, he's still always forcing the guards to the sideline vs the center of the floor. That helps us because the wing in the opposite corner knows he's the help and the wing in the strong side corner knows to stay home on the shooter.

Reaction Score
Definitely do not want Jackson at the point. We need to figure out if Newton is our PG by PK85.

Piping hot takes: Karaban and Sanogo over-perform this year and Hawkins and Jackson underperform. Newton is our leading scorer. One of Alleyne or Diarra falls out of the rotation.

It's piping hot alright........
To Wing-U and BGesus4,
Something happened when I responded to "Shizzler" with my comment that, "It's piping hot alright". Somehow his name disappeared from the quotes he made about Jackson at the point and his "Piping hot takes: Karaban and Sanogo".

My statement was "It's piping hot alright", not the rest of what was posted, so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the court.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Usually when you're talking basketball it's not "will we funnel?" but "where will we funnel?"

Coaches know there are guards you simply can't stop from beating a defender 1v1 (like Bouk), so you plan ahead and decide where you've going to force him, so the bigs can plan ahead and be ready to step in at the rim and take a charge or swat it. You look at packline defenses, and they are always funneling guards into the middle of the floor. Virginia is the classic example. Traditional man defense (Hurley), they're trying to force guards to the baseline. You can even see it in the shell drills the team was doing in practice the other day. When Hurley drove and Hassan (I think) took the charge, the defender had force Hurley to the baseline.

The wrinkles you add like screen coverages make it more complex, but it's still predictable for help defenders. When you watch high hedges that Whaley executed so well, he's still always forcing the guards to the sideline vs the center of the floor. That helps us because the wing in the opposite corner knows he's the help and the wing in the strong side corner knows to stay home on the shooter.
Yeah in my opinion forcing drives to the baseline is the best way to go. Use the sideline as an extra defender and cut down on options.

Letting guys go towards the middle just gives them all options on the court to see.

Reaction Score
There's a few guys in the Big East we'll face twice a year with Eric Dixon, Alexis Yetna, Tyrese Samuel, Jack Nunge, Zach Freemantle
I'll give you Nunge but none of those other guys are a threat to burn you from deep.

Reaction Score
I'll give you Nunge but none of those other guys are a threat to burn you from deep.
Maybe not but they all attempted 1+ 3's a game last year so you at least have to defend them out there. Dixon was only at 0.9 3PA technically but shot 48.6%

Reaction Score
Who? This isn't the NBA with Jokic, Embiid, and KAT.
I'm not saying he's going to live out there. All I'm saying is that one video that people saw of DC closing out to the perimeter should not have people thinking Hurley is going to have him camped out 19 feet from the basket all game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom