Jeff Goodman in Storrs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman in Storrs

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It appears that there are actual fans who simply live to imagine preposterous worst case scenarios for this team.
My problem with that now is mostly timing. This is the part of the season when all things are possible. When one's mind should be thinking best case scenarios. This is the year! If it isn't, I'll let reality hit me down the road. What good is doing it's job in advance?

Reaction Score
Definitely do not want Jackson at the point. We need to figure out if Newton is our PG by PK85.

Piping hot takes: Karaban and Sanogo over-perform this year and Hawkins and Jackson underperform. Newton is our leading scorer. One of Alleyne or Diarra falls out of the rotation.
It's piping hot alright........

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you "expect good 3 pt production" from the guy who hasn't played a single college game; but the guy who was Big East all-freshman still has to "show [you]" something?
I'm pretty sure he was a starter in the ACC and is a senior. So he's played plenty of games. That said, Hawkins will be good too.
You have to admit, the fact that Hurley is not letting Dave Borges watch practice is extremely concerning. Says it all, really.
When you're about to unleash the Kraken, you don't show people the Kraken. Spoils the fun really.
Definitely do not want Jackson at the point. We need to figure out if Newton is our PG by PK85.

Piping hot takes: Karaban and Sanogo over-perform this year and Hawkins and Jackson underperform. Newton is our leading scorer. One of Alleyne or Diarra falls out of the rotation.

I would suggest that last year's National Championship team never really figured out who their PG was, they had two, and their SF had more assists than one of them. We have three guys who can generate significant assists, and do other things (shoot, score at the rim, block shots, rebound). If it's a problem, it's a problem most teams wish they had.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was a starter in the ACC and is a senior. So he's played plenty of games. That said, Hawkins will be good too.
He was referring to Karaban

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Karaban hasn't played a game in the ACC and isn't a senior. But tell me more. ;)

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

You got the pipe part right

Reaction Score

When you're about to unleash the Kraken, you don't show people the Kraken. Spoils the fun really.

I would suggest that last year's National Championship team never really figured out who their PG was, they had two, and their SF had more assists than one of them. We have three guys who can generate significant assists, and do other things (shoot, score at the rim, block shots, rebound). If it's a problem, it's a problem most teams wish they had.
I thought of them, this team is actually constructed similarly to them. They had more firepower at the swing positions than we do but our big is better than theirs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought of them, this team is actually constructed similarly to them. They had more firepower at the swing positions than we do but our big is better than theirs.
Yep. Adama certainly better on offense, maybe not defense but it's close. One of the reasons I talk about how Samson can really put this team over the top is because that's what Wilson did for KU. Not the same player, but there are some similarities in what they can bring at the 4. Wilson missed most of his freshman year with a broken ankle.

Reaction Score
Bird himself said he was not interested in playing a point forward role. I feel like your definition of "point forward" is forward who passes well and that's clearly where we differ. The argument that a point forward need not play the point is just bizarre to me but we can agree to disagree.

Bizarre? I am not saying there's no point forward per se who couldn't play the point I guess. But if AJ is ours full time we won't be all that good on offense, that's what I'm saying. We need Newton and others to be that guy with AJax assisting in making plays and balancing out other combo guards we have on the roster. His ability to be part time is huge, not denying that.

Reaction Score
Yep. Adama certainly better on offense, maybe not defense but it's close. One of the reasons I talk about how Samson can really put this team over the top is because that's what Wilson did for KU. Not the same player, but there are some similarities in what they can bring at the 4. Wilson missed most of his freshman year with a broken ankle.
If Samson can give us even close to his production this team will likely become scary.

Reaction Score
Over the top? Barely seen Samson play for UConn but you are projecting that he has BE starter talent?

Reaction Score
Bizarre? I am not saying there's no point forward per se who couldn't play the point I guess. But if AJ is ours full time we won't be all that good on offense, that's what I'm saying. We need Newton and others to be that guy with AJax assisting in making plays and balancing out other combo guards we have on the roster. His ability to be part time is huge, not denying that.
I'm very confident I've never seen anyone suggest Andre would or should run the point full time. At this point I'm just honestly confused what your point is. The whole exchange started because you took exception to someone suggesting that the team isn't in trouble if Andre is handling point duties at times and now we've worked all the way to you suggesting that his ability to handle some of the point duties "is huge".

Reaction Score
Over the top? Barely seen Samson play for UConn but you are projecting that he has BE starter talent?
Hurley thinks there could be lottery talent in there. It's not in the least bit far-fetched he's a starter. He's one of the three options for that 5th starter spot and the other two options have never played a minute for UConn.

Reaction Score
Hurley thinks there could be lottery talent in there. It's not in the least bit far-fetched he's a starter. He's one of the three options for that 5th starter spot and the other two options have never played a minute for UConn.
Not arguing but we've seen so very little of him on the floor except maybe garbage time. Is he excelling in practice?

Reaction Score
Not arguing but we've seen so very little of him on the floor except maybe garbage time. Is he excelling in practice?
Those comments are coming from Dan Hurley who is watching him every day in practice. Connect the dots

Reaction Score
Those comments are coming from Dan Hurley who is watching him every day in practice. Connect the dots
Yeah we'll I remember Calhoun making promising practice comments. Dots wouldn't always connect.

Reaction Score
Yeah we'll I remember Calhoun making promising practice comments. Dots wouldn't always connect.
Correct, which is why it's not a given that it'll translate to games. But you asked if he's looking good in practice

Reaction Score
Larry Bird was a point forward too but I admittedly never saw him run the point. AJ is ok to help out when needed working with other combos, but if he’s our “best point” I’m very nervous about this year!
Agreed. That being said if and this is a big IF he can handle the ball and not turn over and attack the basket consistently he could work out at the point especially with his size and athleticsm it could turn into a strength. But thats a lot of ifs.

Reaction Score
No one is expecting Samson to be Paolo Banchero. The notion that he can be a positive contributor and even starter should not be as far-fetched as some are making it out to be.
I don’t know but I’m concerned :)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So you "expect good 3 pt production" from the guy who hasn't played a single college game; but the guy who was Big East all-freshman still has to "show [you]" something?
I think a lot of people are waiting for him to live up to the hype that preceded his coming to Uconn and maybe that's not his fault. I am hoping for the best for him and every other player on the team.
Young people come from all kinds of backgrounds and makeups. It just seems to fall on the most talented kids when they get recruited. Jalen Adams, Bouk et al. I think Hawk has a good attitude and wants to excel. That's very much in his favor. Perhaps he just needs a little more time. As I said; I really hope for the best for him.

And yes, I do expect good 3 pt production from Karaban even though he hasn't played a single college game. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Amen. Size is overrated in point guards, as the Harrison twins proved in 2011.
All four championships featured smallish guards that lead the team and could shoot and distribute and play defense although, admittedly, some had their issues with either offense or defense.
Those poor twins didn’t know what hit them between Bazz and Boat. If they weren’t Kentucky, I might have felt bad for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom