OT: - Jay Young Out At Fairfield | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Young Out At Fairfield

Reaction Score
Jay Young was already on the hot seat heading into this season because of his performance on the court. Fairfield will get a head start on their coaching search and they’ll have a healthy candidate pool to choose from. The university has heavily invested in the basketball program in recent years, turning it into one of the premiere job opportunities in the conference. They opened a brand new arena last season and the NIL collective is strong for the level of competition. As we reported in September, “A pair of UConn assistants have their eyes on this one.”

Reaction Score
And it doesn’t look good…

With the booster money, wonder if Young/Murray would bite if the school reached out to either.

It’s not a bad job. They have a new on campus arena and a good academic reputation. A coach that would play an up tempo pro style offense might do well there. The last few coaches seem to want to play slowdown Princeton style offense. I think it made recruiting harder than it necessarily needed to be.

Reaction Score
I could see Kimani sliding into the Hofstra job after Speedy Clayton leaves for DePaul at the end of the year - obviously just my prediction.

Reaction Score
But at this point, everyone is shocked that Kimani is still at UConn and not leading his own program, so who knows? I’m not complaining, but it’s weird it hasn’t happened.
I'm genuinely asking this, but does he actually want to be a HC? I mean, making close to $1M/yr at a blue blood as an AHC seems like a dream gig to me...Life at a mid-major for marginally more money and infinitely less job security doesn't seem like a great trade off to me.

Reaction Score
I'm genuinely asking this, but does he actually want to be a HC? I mean, making close to $1M/yr at a blue blood as an AHC seems like a dream gig to me...Life at a mid-major for marginally more money and infinitely less job security doesn't seem like a great trade off to me.
It does but I could also see a guy like Kimani end up being the next hot coach at Fairfield like Ed Cooley was and parlay that into running his own high level program.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You gotta start somewhere if you want a life as a head coach at higher levels. You don't typically go from assistant to a major program head coach.

Look at Hurley's path. Wagner 2 years, Rhode Island 6 years, UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I think they all want to be The Man. (Not to play armchair shrink but I’d imagine Murray wants to be known as something other than Bill’s son.) Gotta start somewhere. Hurley started in HS, then Wagner. A couple good seasons at a mid-major and you can get a high-major job.

Reaction Score
Kimani has a great gig at UConn. He should be very selective or he should just stay put. The desire to be a head coach is often a career killer. Being a successful head coach is a low odds proposition.

Reaction Score
You gotta start somewhere if you want a life as a head coach at higher levels. You don't typically go from assistant to a major program head coach.

Look at Hurley's path. Wagner 2 years, Rhode Island 6 years, UConn.
I understand that, but being an AHC at a certified blue blood seems like a better quality of life than a low/mid major head coach, especially in the days of NIL and transfer portal. Every good player is going to get poached which makes mid major jobs 100x harder.

It’s a tough decision for sure. Kimani has the luxury of time and waiting for the perfect opportunity though. But man, put me in his shoes and I’m taking the job security at UConn and a $900k paycheck or whatever he’s currently getting.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I understand that, but being an AHC at a certified blue blood seems like a better quality of life than a low/mid major head coach, especially in the days of NIL and transfer portal. Every good player is going to get poached which makes mid major jobs 100x harder.

It’s a tough decision for sure. Kimani has the luxury of time and waiting for the perfect opportunity though. But man, put me in his shoes and I’m taking the job security at UConn and a $900k paycheck or whatever he’s currently getting.

Agreed overall - I think that's why he has been/will be selective on where to start his HC journey.

You can do the AHC gig for a few years at big time programs and eventually land a bigger/better job. Not NECESSARY for him to jump at his first option.

But, I'm sure he is itching to get his own gig.

Reaction Score

I can kind of see that, but feel like taking the job is pretty low risk too. I think both of them could parlay it into a good mid major or even high major job eventually, but worst case if they flame out the spot is always open to come back. Just like Tom Moore did after his stint at Quinnipiac

Reaction Score
It does but I could also see a guy like Kimani end up being the next hot coach at Fairfield like Ed Cooley was and parlay that into running his own high level program.
Cooley was ok, good recruiter and teacher of the game, but never had a clue on how to improve a program from the bottom up. Fairfield hasn’t seen anyone like that since Fred Barakat, who used to throw me and my high school buddies out of the gym, right before practice.

Reaction Score
Cooley was ok, good recruiter and teacher of the game, but never had a clue on how to improve a program from the bottom up. Fairfield hasn’t seen anyone like that since Fred Barakat, who used to throw me and my high school buddies out of the gym, right before practice.
True but I think Ed does show that Fairfield is a good enough first job to begin stepping up the rings of a ladder for a quality assistant to eventually run their own major program.

Reaction Score
I can kind of see that, but feel like taking the job is pretty low risk too. I think both of them could parlay it into a good mid major or even high major job eventually, but worst case if they flame out the spot is always open to come back. Just like Tom Moore did after his stint at Quinnipiac

I know Moore spent a year at URI because I saw it, but it still barely registers. Yeah, Kimani wants a head coaching job, definitely. He’s given a lot of freedom and responsibilities in his current role and is well compensated, but his own program is the goal. I think he will succeed when given the opportunity, but if he doesn’t? Drop down to something more familiar and thrive again. There’s plenty of examples- pretty recently there’s David Cox, who blew his first chance at URI and then moved directly into a pretty sweet assistant role at Maryland.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s not a good job.

They haven’t won a conference title in like 30 years and even Ed Cooley’s magical run that got him to Providence ended in the second round of the NIT. To his credit, he’s the only one since the flood to get out of Fairfield with a winning record.

Partial credit to Tim O’Toole who at least tried to cheat his way to success there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom