Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already

C

Chief00

This is a particularly important recruitment just because of that to be honest. This frees them up to go after whatever the heck they feel like they want.

If Gilbert is back, holy smokes. If he's not, RJ Cole/Gaffney/Bouk/3rd year Adams is perfectly fine.

They've got Carlton coming back fourth year and two bigs developing behind him.

So just go get whatever tickles your pickle.
Need another scorer and preferably another Big in the Spring.

Reaction Score
He’s reclassifying from 2021 to 2020

Right, but reclassifying to 2020 is when he'd start his playing career.

I'm asking if there's any possibility that he'd do like Akok did. Enroll in classes this January, practice with the team all semester, and then start his actual career Fall 2020.

Reaction Score
Right, but reclassifying to 2020 is when he'd start his playing career.

I'm asking if there's any possibility that he'd do like Akok did. Enroll in classes this January, practice with the team all semester, and then start his actual career Fall 2020.

No, he's still a junior in high school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Doubt it, as he would be very young for his class

I’d be shocked if he was able to graduate HS that early so I agree. He’s coming very early just by reclassifying.

Reaction Score
Chief is pleased with the current structure of our OV. Not a class catalog in sight. Blazing!

Long range forecast - Flood Alert!

You mean...................like this?
1571712193851.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Think we will be focusing on guards since the most likely open scholarship to come open in the spring is from a guard.

That's true but there is also a scholarship guard sitting on the roster who can't play. At the same position.

I don't think PG is a need position in 2020-21 class. It's critical in the 2021-22 class. My guess is that Hurley will evaluate his guys. Is Adams a player? Is Whaley a contributor? Has Sid made major progress? Those three guys are our question marks, so I think Hurley will recruit for that slot accordingly. Maybe a grad transfer. Certainly any top 50 guy who he can get at any position.

Reaction Score
That's true but there is also a scholarship guard sitting on the roster who can't play. At the same position.

I don't think PG is a need position in 2020-21 class. It's critical in the 2021-22 class. My guess is that Hurley will evaluate his guys. Is Adams a player? Is Whaley a contributor? Has Sid made major progress? Those three guys are our question marks, so I think Hurley will recruit for that slot accordingly. Maybe a grad transfer. Certainly any top 50 guy who he can get at any position.
Agreed on evaluating guys after this year. But let's say Gilbert graduates and you have that spot open. You have Cole and Gaffney as your PGs, and Gaffney is a combo guard. We have seen the last couple of years what happens when you have a lack of ball handlers on your roster. If one of them gets hurt, we are in big trouble.

I am hoping for 2020-2021 that we have the following frontcourt: a senior beast in Carlton, a developing sophomore in Akok, a developing and growing sophomore in Springs, a senior Whaley, and a freshman Javonte Brown Ferguson. That's good depth in the front court for the first time in a while. I think you need PG depth more.

Reaction Score
Agreed on evaluating guys after this year. But let's say Gilbert graduates and you have that spot open. You have Cole and Gaffney as your PGs, and Gaffney is a combo guard. We have seen the last couple of years what happens when you have a lack of ball handlers on your roster. If one of them gets hurt, we are in big trouble.

I am hoping for 2020-2021 that we have the following frontcourt: a senior beast in Carlton, a developing sophomore in Akok, a developing and growing sophomore in Springs, a senior Whaley, and a freshman Javonte Brown Ferguson. That's good depth in the front court for the first time in a while. I think you need PG depth more.
Couldn't agree more. I'd argue that our biggest recruit to secure for next season is Alterique Gilbert.

Reaction Score
Maybe a grad transfer. Certainly any top 50 guy who he can get at any position.

one of these appears much more likely than the other. love what hurley has done so far but he's not calamari. he cant offer a top 150 recruit, let alone top 50, after their senior season and get him onto campus in the fall. not yet at least.

my vote doesnt count for anything but i'd vote for a combo guard grad-transfer if 'rique leaves.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Disagree with Gaffney as a combo, but I know opinions vary. He's a PG. I wouldn't be shocked if he beats out Cole before Cole graduates. But that's another thing Hurley will be watching. Can Gaffney run the team at the point?

Bouk can handle (better than Vital). Jackson can dribble. Adams is a combo. We don't lack for ball handlers. That said, I think a bigger scoring combo guard would be a good fit for that third slot unless Adams shows he's a real contributor.

Edit: @bendm sure. But we are still in on Cliff and Cam (theoretically).

Reaction Score
Yesterday I spent the entire day lurking in the Javonte Brown Ferguson thread, then on my drive home from work this car pulls out in front of me...and i believe it's a sign from the basketball gods.

- NY License Plate (MSG and Big East)
- "Javonte Brown Ferguson" (Self explanatory)
- "2041" (Class of '20, and 4 > 1)

We might as well update the grid now...

Javonte Brown Ferguson.jpg

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
Yesterday I spent the entire day lurking in the Javonte Brown Ferguson thread, then on my drive home from work this car pulls out in front of me...and i believe it's a sign from the basketball gods.

View attachment 47358
Way to tail gate... I like the way you broke the code

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

View attachment 47358

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Disagree with Gaffney as a combo, but I know opinions vary. He's a PG. I wouldn't be shocked if he beats out Cole before Cole graduates. But that's another thing Hurley will be watching. Can Gaffney run the team at the point?

Bouk can handle (better than Vital). Jackson can dribble. Adams is a combo. We don't lack for ball handlers. That said, I think a bigger scoring combo guard would be a good fit for that third slot unless Adams shows he's a real contributor.

Edit: @bendm sure. But we are still in on Cliff and Cam (theoretically).
Still in on Cam?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Play overseas. I think with his injury history he wants to try and make some money while he can.
Yep. It is analogous to the thought process Morgan Tuck went through in her season year.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Play overseas.

This is the same stuff they said about Purvis. Not saying you're wrong because I'm inclined to agree with you, but I would hope Hurley can give him a good recruiting pitch in the spring to stay to lead us into the Big East.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Analogous to the thought process Morgan Tuck went through in her season year.

Not really the same though because Tuck had won 4 national titles. Gilbert would have opportunity to be the alpha dog on a top 15 team next season, and to cement a legacy. Tuck's story was already written.

Reaction Score
This is the same stuff they said about Purvis. Not saying you're wrong because I'm inclined to agree with you, but I would hope Hurley can give him a good recruiting pitch in the spring to stay to lead us into the Big East.
Oh I hope he stays. And I think Hurley will try and sell him on that. Just the sense I have gotten is that he is most likely gone after this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom