Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Staff seems to be really great in communicating with the kids on OVs... excited about the implications of that in years to come
Nah! It was first night. We had casual alum Kemba and could get casual recruit.

Reaction Score
There is so little on him and the couple of videos of him where he looks awkward are around 2 years old when he was probably 14. Don't think he's a great athlete but he's still just 16, massive wingspan, good touch. For the amount of top schools who have offered him and for Corey Evans to have scouted him and said he would place him around top 50 area for 2020 if he was ranking him means there is a whole lot to work with.

His offers vs Cardwells make a world of difference. Kansas, Zona, A&M, Marquette, georgetown, indiana, seton hall, etc. Not an easy recruitment.

He's a year younger than everyone else in 2020, 15 months younger than Cardwell and 13 younger than Cliff I believe. Freshman year (with the good guys, hopefully) he is bound to be weak and awkward. Sophomore will be the year to really compare him to past freshman. Tbh I'm not so sure why he's going 2020--he needs development.

I mentioned in a PM with stats and bfield the other day that his production is VERY similar to cliff for his aau season at 16 yrs old. Cliff was stronger, but javontes touch around ghe basket seems better.

Doomed

Reaction Score
There is so little on him and the couple of videos of him where he looks awkward are around 2 years old when he was probably 14. Don't think he's a great athlete but he's still just 16, massive wingspan, good touch. For the amount of top schools who have offered him and for Corey Evans to have scouted him and said he would place him around top 50 area for 2020 if he was ranking him means there is a whole lot to work with.
I still think top 50 is a stretch, just cuz that’s around where Cliff is and I think he’s much more talented. Top 75-100 would make more sense to me, with the upside as a bonus.

Reaction Score
A year with Sal is worth a lot more to a kid than a year with a high school phys ed teacher. If they didn't have Carlton likely coming back next year I would be worried about bringing in someone we know is young and assume is raw. In this scenario, i love taking the high upside kid over the more developed, lower ceiling guy. Hopefully they can close the deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A year with Sal is worth a lot more to a kid than a year with a high school phys ed teacher. If they didn't have Carlton likely coming back next year I would be worried about bringing in someone we know is young and assume is raw. In this scenario, i love taking the high upside kid over the more developed, lower ceiling guy. Hopefully they can close the deal.

This is how I've been viewing it and why I slightly preferred Javonte Brown Ferguson to Cardwell. Carlton is going to be a monster as a senior and will play a lot of minutes. Whaley and Springs are still here too. Whaley beefing up and Springs coming late really helped allow us to go with upside vs. immediate impact.

So this feels like the Akok situation to me. Get him in here, coach him up, get him a year with Sal to beef up and he should be a key contributor by Sophomore year. He can still get spot duty as a freshman for experience.

Reaction Score

Kid needs to get stronger, I definitely see why high majors see a lot of upside though. But in this game he didnt physically dominate anyone and the kids he is playing against do not seem very good at all.

One thing I liked is that his HS coach is using him at the high post and having him set screens in the pick and roll which is exactly how Hurley would use him.

As of now I see this kid more as a big body rather than a rebounding big though, hope that changes with time and strength.

pj

Reaction Score
I
His offers vs Cardwells make a world of difference. Kansas, Zona, A&M, Marquette, georgetown, indiana, seton hall, etc. Not an easy recruitment.

He's a year younger than everyone else in 2020, 15 months younger than Cardwell and 13 younger than Cliff I believe. Freshman year (with the good guys, hopefully) he is bound to be weak and awkward. Sophomore will be the year to really compare him to past freshman. Tbh I'm not so sure why he's going 2020--he needs development.

I mentioned in a PM with stats and bfield the other day that his production is VERY similar to cliff for his aau season at 16 yrs old. Cliff was stronger, but javontes touch around ghe basket seems better.

Doomed

If he needs development, why wouldn't he re-class? He'll develop better at UConn than in high school. He'll get college experience practicing against and backing up Carlton then take over.

Reaction Score
I

If he needs development, why wouldn't he re-class? He'll develop better at UConn than in high school. He'll get college experience practicing against and backing up Carlton then take over.

There's a reason many, if not most, d1 players stay back a year. An extra year in hs helps them to fill out and gain more game experience so theyre more prepared Tyler Phommachanh contribute in college. I'm surprised you dont find that obvious.

Javonte Brown Ferguson probably doesnt consider himself a 4 year player. So saving eligibility years might be less important than it would be for others

pj

Reaction Score
There's a reason many, if not most, d1 players stay back a year. An extra year in hs helps them to fill out and gain more game experience so theyre more prepared Tyler Phommachanh contribute in college. I'm surprised you dont find that obvious.

Javonte Brown Ferguson probably doesnt consider himself a 4 year player. So saving eligibility years might be less important than it would be for others

I'm saying that if he re-classes to 2020 and plays 4 years in college, he'll be better off than if he stays 2021 and plays 3 years in college. Because he'll have an extra year of college experience. "An extra year in hs helps them to fill out and gain more game experience" -- an extra year in college does the same, but more so. That was why Akok moved early from prep school to college. It's smart for Javonte Brown Ferguson to do the same.

Reaction Score
I'm saying that if he re-classes to 2020 and plays 4 years in college, he'll be better off than if he stays 2021 and plays 3 years in college. Because he'll have an extra year of college experience. "An extra year in hs helps them to fill out and gain more game experience" -- an extra year in college does the same, but more so. That was why Akok moved early from prep school to college. It's smart for Javonte Brown Ferguson to do the same.

Okay, so you're assuming he's not a 4 year player. It makes sense in that case.

Reaction Score
Seeing some of the game footage makes it much easier to see why we prioritized him. He's huge, looks functional in the post, decent form on shot, seems like a good teammate, etc..there is a lot to work with here.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys, I've got nothing on this one.

But all signs seem to be pointing to this being a good thing. After this, they can basically pick and choose whatever they want to go after... Would be huge to scratch this position off the list.

pj

Reaction Score
Okay, so you're assuming he's not a 4 year player. It makes sense in that case.

No, I'm arguing that regardless of how many years he plays in college, he'll be better off getting to college earlier.

I'm assuming that if he reclasses to 2020 and plays 4 years in college, he'll be able to play somewhere professionally, and will be better off in the 2024-25 season playing professionally somewhere rather than playing that same year as a senior at UConn, after having spent the 2020-21 season playing high school ball rather than as a freshman at UConn.

I'm actually making a similar argument to the one you made for Donovan Clingan going to prep school. Kids will advance their bball careers better by playing at a higher level and receiving better coaching. In Javonte Brown Ferguson's case, that means spending next year at UConn rather than in high school.

Reaction Score
No, I'm arguing that regardless of how many years he plays in college, he'll be better off getting to college earlier.

I'm assuming that if he reclasses to 2020 and plays 4 years in college, he'll be able to play somewhere professionally, and will be better off in the 2024-25 season playing professionally somewhere rather than playing that same year as a senior at UConn, after having spent the 2020-21 season playing high school ball rather than at UConn.

The only reason these guys stay back is to get better offers. If they can get a spot at a program they like with a clear path to playing time, especially if it puts them in a major conference with high-end exposure and a location that's convenient for their families, there's no reason to wait around.

I have no specific information about Javonte Brown Ferguson, but the fact that his other two options already have 2020 4-star bigs makes me think that he's already decided and we've got this one.

Reaction Score

I'm assuming that if he reclasses to 2020 and plays 4 years in college, he'll be able to play somewhere professionally, and will be better off in the 2024-25 season playing professionally somewhere rather than playing that same year as a senior at UConn, after having spent the 2020-21 season playing high school ball rather than as a freshman at UConn.

I'm actually making a similar argument to the one you made for Donovan Clingan going to prep school. Kids will advance their bball careers better by playing at a higher level and receiving better coaching. In Javonte Brown Ferguson's case, that means spending next year at UConn rather than in high school.

Gotcha. Judging by his teammates skill level and the competition I'm seeing in that full-game video, I think I've gotta agree. Staying in the USA at a prep probably would have been the best bet this year. His team has some good players, but not high-major bound guys. They don't even know how to pass to him. Turnovers galore feeding the post.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
So basically the scouting report is ideal frame, good mobility, solid touch, runs pick n roll well. Needs to work on strength, explosiveness, toughness, add some post/back to the basket moves. Correct?

Reaction Score
So basically the scouting report is ideal frame, good mobility, solid touch, runs pick n roll well. Needs to work on strength, explosiveness, toughness, add some post/back to the basket moves. Correct?
wouldnt exactly say he has good mobility or touch yet. But in all fairness he's only 17 and still probably figuring out how to be in a 6'11 body

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Kid needs to get stronger, I definitely see why high majors see a lot of upside though. But in this game he didnt physically dominate anyone and the kids he is playing against do not seem very good at all.

One thing I liked is that his HS coach is using him at the high post and having him set screens in the pick and roll which is exactly how Hurley would use him.

As of now I see this kid more as a big body rat

""""""""""""her than a rebounding big though, hope that changes with time and strength.

The Canadians have it over the Americans regarding video quality. That was well done.

I was looking for a player who can score 110 points in a game. There was definitely no one in that bunch.

He frames well on offense and will necessitate opposing teams to double him. He had some great moves near the basket but also brought the ball down and was stripped. He's decent at keeping players from driving by him. Agree he knows how to do pick and roll and will definitely work well with a player like Andre. He has the body to get stronger. I'm concerned about his reflexes and hops. He was average at best rebounding balls that did not drop where he was planted. Lots of rebounds by opposing players who were not even div 2 players. His timing for blocks in this game was poor. He can run quickly up and down the court but there weren't that many times I observed that.

Carlton was ahead of Javonte at this stage. Javonte will have to significantly improve to be anything other than a four year player. However this kid is better than a project. A lot to be excited about.*

*Based on one game observation and the first game of this season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I can definitely state that I saw him palling it up with Andre. After First Night I was pretty much confused as to where to go and ended up at a pretty cool party but was waaaaay out of place. I woke up alone in a camper in Foster, RI. Freaking Foster, RI.
Grateful for proper use of apostrophes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom