Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown-Ferguson on campus already

Reaction Score
Weingarten told me directly he is extremely confident he ends up at UConn

Better get out your flak jacket just in case he goes elsewhere. The great unwashed will turn on you ferociously after such a definitive statement.

Reaction Score
So basically the scouting report is ideal frame, good mobility, solid touch, runs pick n roll well. Needs to work on strength, explosiveness, toughness, add some post/back to the basket moves. Correct?
Yes, sounds about right. Those old clips showed an awkward kid who looked like Bambi on ice, then you realize he was 14. He's still just 16 but it's a night and day difference now. He needs to get stronger and more explosive which he will because he's so young...

Things that stand out, he has a huge frame and he has great hands. He snares everything, has like a 7'5 wingspan, and knows how to present himself in the low post. Looks to have a good touch around the rim and looks like he can extend it out some. Once he gets more explosive and stronger look out.

Reaction Score
Watched most of that clip. Like his frame. A lot to work with. Moves quite fluidly. Conditioning and strength needs work, like they do for most HS bigs.

Hard to take much away from the gameplay, his guards.. blech. His coach also played him too many minutes, but his team got slaughtered when he was on the bench, so I guess it makes sense from the coach's perspective.

Pretty good finishing around the basket when he got 1 on 1 without too much defensive help/sag or decent position. Not explosive enough to dominate through doubles even of shorter players, yet. A few nice drop steps and long step pivots. Settled for some face up jumpers instead of attacking a few times, which while his stroke looked fine, he didn't make any. He made 2/3 FTs I saw. Good touch on one, short armed the miss badly.

Good rebounding fundamentals before he got tired. Went for the nearest body.

Rim protection a work in progress. Timing seemed off, jumped too soon (and sometimes shouldn't have jumped at all). Got caught in no man's land a few times. Actually was better immediately after halftime and start of 4th Q after timeout, so might be a tiredness thing.

He also got confused on an important defensive play late and gave up a layup. Looked like he was playing man and the rest of his team was in zone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Canadians have it over the Americans regarding video quality. That was well done.

I was looking for a player who can score 110 points in a game. There was definitely no one in that bunch.

He frames well on offense and will necessitate opposing teams to double him. He had some great moves near the basket but also brought the ball down and was stripped. He's decent at keeping players from driving by him. Agree he knows how to do pick and roll and will definitely work well with a player like Andre. He has the body to get stronger. I'm concerned about his reflexes and hops. He was average at best rebounding balls that did not drop where he was planted. Lots of rebounds by opposing players who were not even div 2 players. His timing for blocks in this game was poor. He can run quickly up and down the court but there weren't that many times I observed that.

Carlton was ahead of Javonte at this stage. Javonte will have to significantly improve to be anything other than a four year player. However this kid is better than a project. A lot to be excited about.*

*Based on one game observation and the first game of this season.
Carlton as a senior in high school was 18, this kid is 16. I would imagine he's farther along than Carlton was at 16 and just off of that game he looks to have significantly more upside than Carlton to my untrained eye.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Carlton as a senior in high school was 18, this kid is 16. I would imagine he's farther along than Carlton was at 16 and just off of that game he looks to have significantly more upside than Carlton to my untrained eye.
I should have clarified by saying at the time of entering college Carlton appeared to be ahead of Javonte at the time he's planning on going to college. Certainly the age differential is important in consideration of development projections but it's less important in what we should be expecting from Javonte his freshman year as compared to expectations of Carlton his freshman year.

Reaction Score
These are my random observations as I watched. Don't expect to make much sense of them.

23 pt (team had 71)

12 reb

2 AST

2 TO

5 BLK (maybe 6 or 7 hard to tell)... must have had 10 other times that were as good as blocks... his teammates put a lot of pressure on him on D with poor perimeter fundamentals.

7/13 FG (0/3 on jumpers... one or two looked pretty smooth though)
- One slick dribble drop into fade away short jumper...
- Very soft touch around the basket compared to cardwell/cliff... similar hands to carlton.

10/14 FT weird and inconsistent release... but it seems to be going in today.
- Must have drawn a good 12 or more fouls between those on the floor and his shooting fouls.

Definitely not the athlete than Cardwell or Cliff are. But he's also a year younger, so it's hard to compare quite yet. As a purely 2020 recruit, I'd say he's the worst of the bunch, but with the highest potential. Pretty sure he just turned 17 last month. Cliff is already 18 and Cardwell turns 18 in december. Didnt dunk once in this game. Inexcusable at his size

Post footwork is better than either cliff or cardwell. He seems to have a middle baby hook, dribble drop, and up and under in his bag. Same 3 skills that Kenya has been teaching Carlton this past year. Late in the game he had a beautiful pass fake and patient post up. I think at 38:50

Developing a bit of a face-up skillset. good to see. Pretty uncomfortable facing up in the high post... Seems to like the short corner better.

TBH he's just not playing very hard until the very end of the game. Noticably more energy and better play late 3rd and into the 4th. It's probably partly the kind of lame competition and bad teammates that aren't on his level. Pretty common with HS kids, obviously. I remember ricker? saying how Bouk and Springs looks lazy, and both are actually known for being tough competitors, if a bit soft. So no worries in my book.

FWIW--3 of the players on the other team are likely D1 basketball players, or playing for similar level in the university system up there. #1 Kobe elvis should go high-major. The others low-ish major.

He would have been better off getting to a prep in the USA. It's tough for big guys to play with less talented teammates. This is definitely a step up from public school comp. but it's not like the bigger NEPSAC schools or anything.

I do like the concerted effort to look opposite with he gets the ball short corner or high post. Led to a couple nice assists.

Decent instincts hitting the outlet, but could use a little more patience and hit longer.

Communicating well on defense generally. His drop coverage recovery seems pretty instinctual. Helps that he's so big. Hard hedges and blitzes with be tough until he gets quicker.

He definitely won't be ready for D1 defense IQ-wise. But that's pretty much true of every big. PGs and Cs never are. Too much pressure on them with PnR so popular.

Kenya will do wonders with his rebounding (doomed) if he gets here. Some bad habits that should be easy to fix. Basically just being taller than everyone right now. Locked in on the box outs a little better late game.

Sal could change this kids career. First big he could have coming in with some actual meat on his bones and real NBA height.

Thornea lives or dies by how many touches Javonte Brown Ferguson gets on offense. When he isn't involved on offense, they stink. Bad 3s, wild drives, etc. Defensively, when he went out for a few minutes rest, they got feasted on in the paint and on closeouts. Opponent went on an 9-2 run (I think) as soon as he went out. His length on defense is a major impact.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
These are my random observations as I watched. Don't expect to make much sense of them.

23 pt (team had 71)

12 reb

2 AST

2 TO

5 BLK (maybe 6 or 7 hard to tell)... must have had 10 other times that were as good as blocks... his teammates put a lot of pressure on him on D with poor perimeter fundamentals.

- Very soft touch around the basket compared to cardwell/cliff... similar hands to carlton.

- Must have drawn a good 12 or more fouls between those on the floor and his shooting fouls.

Definitely not the athlete than Cardwell or Cliff are. But he's also a year younger, so it's hard to compare quite yet. As a purely 2020 recruit, I'd say he's the worst of the bunch, but with the highest potential. Pretty sure he just turned 17 last month. Cliff is already 18 and Cardwell turns 18 in december. Didnt dunk once in this game. Inexcusable at his size

Post footwork is better than either cliff or cardwell. He seems to have a middle baby hook, dribble drop, and up and under in his bag. Same 3 skills that Kenya has been teaching Carlton this past year. Late in the game he had a beautiful pass fake and patient post up. I think at 38:50

Developing a bit of a face-up skillset. good to see. Pretty uncomfortable facing up in the high post... Seems to like the short corner better.

TBH he's just not playing very hard until the very end of the game. Noticably more energy and better play late 3rd and into the 4th. It's probably partly the kind of lame competition and bad teammates that aren't on his level. Pretty common with HS kids, obviously. I remember ricker? saying how Bouk and Springs looks lazy, and both are actually known for being tough competitors, if a bit soft. So no worries in my book.

FWIW--3 of the players on the other team are likely D1 basketball players, or playing for similar level in the university system up there. #1 Kobe elvis should go high-major. The others low-ish major.

He would have been better off getting to a prep in the USA. It's tough for big guys to play with less talented teammates. This is definitely a step up from public school comp. but it's not like the bigger NEPSAC schools or anything.

I do like the concerted effort to look opposite with he gets the ball short corner or high post. Led to a couple nice assists.

Decent instincts hitting the outlet, but could use a little more patience and hit longer.

Communicating well on defense generally. His drop coverage recovery seems pretty instinctual. Helps that he's so big. Hard hedges and blitzes with be tough until he gets quicker.

He definitely won't be ready for D1 defense IQ-wise. But that's pretty much true of every big. PGs and Cs never are. Too much pressure on them with PnR so popular.

Kenya will do wonders with his rebounding (doomed) if he gets here. Some bad habits that should be easy to fix. Basically just being taller than everyone right now. Locked in on the box outs a little better late game.

Sal could change this kids career. First big he could have coming in with some actual meat on his bones and real NBA height.

Thornea lives or dies by how many touches Javonte Brown Ferguson gets on offense. When he isn't involved on offense, they stink. Bad 3s, wild drives, etc. Defensively, when he went out for a few minutes rest, they got feasted on in the paint and on closeouts. Opponent went on an 9-2 run (I think) as soon as he went out. His length on defense is a major impact.
Would have liked this a hundred times if I was able. Between you and @auror it pretty much sums up that game.

Reaction Score

23 pt (team had 71)

12 reb

2 AST

2 TO

Good stuff. You're right, he turned 17 last month.

Reaction Score
Better get out your flak jacket just in case he goes elsewhere. The great unwashed will turn on you ferociously after such a definitive statement.

In this case, it may be the gallery that washes themselves, at least once in a while.

Reaction Score

Yeah I attributed some of it to tiredness, but it could just be apathy, too. There were a few times he "boxed out" and the guy who was probably 25 pounds lighter than him moved him some, but it didn't happen when he was more locked in.

I'd be quite happy with him if he committed. He's got a nice ceiling as an active, long big who can deter penetration and catch dumpoffs and finish. Reminds me a bit of some of the nameless effective rotation bigs that Houston has had recently.

Reaction Score
In this case, it may be the gallery that washes themselves, at least once in a while.

introducing the founding member of the BY chapter of the Guilty Remnant.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Of the 6 kids Hurley has landed in the past 13 months 5 of them have been ranked between 70 and 100 in their class on 247.

Reaction Score
Well, FWIW, he's got upside, probably a high upside project who is exactly the type of kid who should come on campus earlier and get bigger and compete in practice. That's what I can gather, at least.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Glad to have him, but I don't think he's anywhere close to a top 50 player in 2020, Cliff would've done unspeakable things to that level of competition.
Well top 50 Canadian anyways.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Went over to the Kansas board. Not even a mention of him over there.

Looking at their 2020 offers, if their board were as invested in each one as the Boneyard is in ours, they'd all be in an insane asylum. Three going to Kentucky, three to Duke and two to UNC.

They got their guy last week. Hopefully we are about to get ours.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would doubt this kids ability given the offers he has received. The staff prioritized him over Cardwell, that speaks volumes.
Don't see anyone doubt his ability. Most of us reviewing his game believe he would be a less of an impact player freshman year versus Cardwell and Cliff based off observations of that game versus what we've observed in the videos of those other players.

The kid has a lot of potential and 429 and auror both admit the kid could be playing down based on the level of his team mates and opposing players.

No one is doubting the coaching staff over this recruitment. He completes the two needs the staff were targeting.
The big question is what will they prioritize this spring.

Reaction Score
rships.
Of the 6 kids Hurley has landed in the past 13 months 5 of them have been ranked between 70 and 100 in their class on 247.

and the the sixth kid is the "best offensive rebounder [hurley] has coached since tristan thompson."

it seems like he has an really intentional plan for recruitment and has (thus far) been able to execute it to a tee. if can we win with these top-70 guys next year... and we are in the big east again... look out!

Reaction Score
Don't see anyone doubt his ability. Most of us reviewing his game believe he would be a less of an impact player freshman year versus Cardwell and Cliff based off observations of that game versus what we've observed in the videos of those other players.

The kid has a lot of potential and 429 and auror both admit the kid could be playing down based on the level of his team mates and opposing players.

No one is doubting the coaching staff over this recruitment. He completes the two needs the staff were targeting.
The big question is what will they prioritize this spring.
if AG leaves after this season which i believe he will. Look for the next best available regardless of position that will benefit the program. Otherwise look what's available in the grad transfer portal

Reaction Score
The tailgate for the opener will get an extra beer or 2 crazy if we land this kid

Reaction Score
if AG leaves after this season which i believe he will. Look for the next best available regardless of position that will benefit the program. Otherwise look what's available in the grad transfer portal

This is a particularly important recruitment just because of that to be honest. This frees them up to go after whatever the heck they feel like they want.

If Gilbert is back, holy smokes. If he's not, RJ Cole/Gaffney/Bouk/3rd year Adams is perfectly fine.

They've got Carlton coming back fourth year and two bigs developing behind him.

So just go get whatever tickles your pickle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom