- Nov 15, 2016
OK. I just watched the full game video of Roland Park vs McDonough other than some of the 1st qtr when I lost the feed. Here are my thoughts:
- After watching several of Paige/Hopkins games, this was a little like watching paint dry. Hopkins is an up tempo team that scores a bunch of points. Both of these teams walk the ball up the court. Hence the 49-47 score.
- Saylor missed a bunch of shots, particularly in the first half, both with Mir getting a hand in her face and several when she was wide open, including a few air balls. To her credit, Saylor kept firing away until she started making a few, including two 3’s & one 2 with Mir up in her face.
- Again, unlike Hopkins, the basketball fundamentals of both teams were not very good. I didn’t see a single player on either team that understood how to get down in a defensive stance.
- Mir did a reasonable job of face guarding Saylor, but here again her defensive technique was rough.
- Mir was clearly the best athlete on the court. One sequence stood out to me. In the 4th qtr, Mir closed on Saylor at the arc to challenge a 3 pt shot, raced back to the paint to grab the rebound, dribbled the length of the court and got fouled on an attempted layup and then sank two foul shots.
- The potential of Saylor & Mir is evident. But both players have a way to go before they are “college ready.” I’m looking forward to seeing the players they become under the Master.