January UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

January UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You would certainly know more then I do about those you mentioned in comparison to PB at this point in their career.................for me, Bueckers is the most complete point guard that I have seen in my time watching high school basketball...................... I think there's always been some question about Westbrook's best spot on the floor.................she was not categorized by Hoopgurlz as a point guard,, really noted more for her scoring then as a facilitator................that continued at Tennessee where she often led the team in scoring and assists yet was often criticized for her turnovers................I look forward to see her play next season as she brings great athleticism and scoring punch but as of now she's an unproven commodity as a UConn point guard...............Ill take PB right out of the gate.............
Geno has been reluctant to hand over the keys to a freshman and that includes his current PG who also did not start as a freshman. In two years under Carla Berube at USA basketball Paige was not the PG. Clark started at PG one year and Azzi started the other year while Cooke was the backup PG. I'm not questioning Paige ability to play the PG position. Paige is a gifted passer but at times we are taken by her flare. She is a more gifted offensive player much more Taurasi than Bird. If she does start for UCONN next year it will not be because UCONN just graduated the PG. It will be because she is the best all around option. Defense matters very much to Geno. I just don't think is a given that she is going to automatically move ahead of Evina when Evina has two years of collegiate experience.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on Vol Nation comments last season, Westbrook is not a good point guard. She is better as a shooting guard and did not like playing point guard last season.
:eek:Wait, we are gonna go with Vol Nation comments. Come on man we were talking about basketball here! You are killing my high!
Evina had too many turnovers in her two season at TN-(121 & 101). She also had a lot of assists ( 143 & 163). That was with Holly coaching and TN running an offense that was updated in the last century. She will never approach those numbers of assists at UCONN because she will be playing on a team with other very good passers. She will be sitting long she approaches those TO numbers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno has been reluctant to hand over the keys to a freshman and that includes his current PG who also did not start as a freshman. In two years under Carla Berube at USA basketball Paige was not the PG. Clark started at PG one year and Azzi started the other year while Cooke was the backup PG. I'm not questioning Paige ability to play the PG position. Paige is a gifted passer but at times we are taken by her flare. She is a more gifted offensive player much more Taurasi than Bird. If she does start for UCONN next year it will not be because UCONN just graduated the PG. It will be because she is the best all around option. Defense matters very much to Geno. I just don't think is a given that she is going to automatically move ahead of Evina when Evina has two years of collegiate experience.
I agree. With her gift for knowing when and how to attack or shoot without hesitation, she would be lethal playing the role that Williams now plays.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/8

Amari DeBerry totaled 18 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out Wednesday.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/7

Teonni Key: 32 points, 22 rebounds

Timea Gardiner: 21 points

1/6

Janiah Barker: 18 points

Reaction Score
Based on Vol Nation comments last season, Westbrook is not a good point guard. She is better as a shooting guard and did not like playing point guard last season.
Who the he×× listens to what the delusional lost in the PS days of old believe? They also believe EW caused Hollys demise and Kelly Harper is the second coming of Pat. They believe Geno is the devil and the south will rise again. Lol

Reaction Score
:eek:Wait, we are gonna go with Vol Nation comments. Come on man we were talking about basketball here! You are killing my high!
Evina had too many turnovers in her two season at TN-(121 & 101). She also had a lot of assists ( 143 & 163). That was with Holly coaching and TN running an offense that was updated in the last century. She will never approach those numbers of assists at UCONN because she will be playing on a team with other very good passers. She will be sitting long she approaches those TO numbers.

Numerous comments didn't say whether she was a good point guard or a better 2 guard. They said she was promised by Warlick that she can play point guard, but wasn't a point guard. She was a 2 guard.

Reaction Score
Is it my imagination? Or could this Hopkins team defeat a lot of P5 teams right now?

This is the same thinking the last couple of years when some people say that Uconn 2nd team would rank in the top 25. NOT!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Who the he×× listens to what the delusional lost in the PS days of old believe? They also believe EW caused Hollys demise and Kelly Harper is the second coming of Pat. They believe Geno is the devil and the south will rise again. Lol
They were going by what they observed watching her for two seasons. How many times did you watch her play? Many don't like the choice of Kelly Harper as coach. They are already impatient.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't really care about your high Coco. Your post justifies the thoughts of those who say she is not a good point guard.

Reaction Score
Is it my imagination? Or could this Hopkins team defeat a lot of P5 teams right now?

They are talented enough but most HS players aren't ready mentally or physically for that level. Several Hopkins starters are freshmen and sophomores. But I was wondering how good this team would be if they stayed together for another 2-3 years. They would be a potent college team if they stayed together and I'll wager Whalen is pursuing several of them. They will no doubt suffer Bueckers withdrawal next season but they could win the state title again.

Reaction Score
They were going by what they observed watching her for two seasons. How many times did you watch her play? Many don't like the choice of Kelly Harper as coach. They are already impatient.
You got me. I did not watch the Vols.

Reaction Score

looking back is it fair to say that most of the great UConn point guards that you mentioned were blocked by really good veterans who had already established themselves at the position? Regardless of what we think of Westbrook as a point guard she is coming from one of the most poorly coached teams in WBB.........................she's has never run the UConn system in an actual game and sadly isn't even going to be able to practice with the team this season due to her knee injuries..............obviously they're both going to have to earn it but I'm not giving the job to Westbrook solely based on her past performance

Reaction Score
Actually no it would not be an injustice more like history repeating itself. DT, Sue Bird, Moriah Jefferson, Jen Rizzotti and Renee Montgomery are consider to be the best UCONN PGs. Of these only Renee was a day one starter. Evina Westbrook is a a "true" PG, don't know why some are trying to change her position.
Sue started day one, before being injured. Jen May have also?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jen, Sue, Nicole Wolff, Renee, Caroline, and Bria all started as freshmen in their first games for Uconn at the point - one can argue a bit about Caroline, but generally when she played Renee shifted to 2 guard.

It really comes down to who was returning when the freshmen arrived. in 2002-3 Conlon was not starting and got her chance due to injuries.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
looking back is it fair to say that most of the great UConn point guards that you mentioned were blocked by really good veterans who had already established themselves at the position? Regardless of what we think of Westbrook as a point guard she is coming from one of the most poorly coached teams in WBB.........................she's has never run the UConn system in an actual game and sadly isn't even going to be able to practice with the team this season due to her knee injuries..............obviously they're both going to have to earn it but I'm not giving the job to Westbrook solely based on her past performance.
None of us are actually giving out jobs, the starting position at UCONN will be earned in practice as always. Experience and past performance at the collegiale level are Evina's advantages maybe her only ones I'm looking forward to it. It has been 3 years since UCONN has a 3 guards in the regular rotation and just a long since UCONN has had a credible backup PG.

Reaction Score
None of us are actually giving out jobs, the starting position at UCONN will be earned in practice as always. Experience and past performance at the collegiale level are Evina's advantages maybe her only ones I'm looking forward to it. It has been 3 years since UCONN has a 3 guards in the regular rotation and just a long since UCONN has had a credible backup PG.

hopefully a four woman guard rotation..................Westbrook, Williams, Beuckers and Muhl................ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom