James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 7 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
Imagine being a player like precious and being essentially told by your coach that he'd rather have a pissing match with the NCAA over Wiseman that he invariably won't win than give you a chance to showcase your talent in the tournament, after likely promising you the moon during your recruitment.

Lol are we all of a sudden Bilas fans?

Get real. Bilas is one of the most biased media personalities there is. I lost respect for him years ago. If this were Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, or a handful of others he would be defending them saying that the NCAA is being ridiculous and openly criticize the NCAA for it.

95% of the media is on Jame Wiseman's side. More reputable and respectable people are against the NCAA here.

Again, this isn't about Memphis. Throw your disdain for them out of the window. This is about James Wiseman. He was 16 years old. HE wasn't paid. His mother accepted, Penny covering their moving costs and Wiseman apparently didn't even know it happened until the initial paperwork was sent up. We need to start protecting these young people.

LeBron James was driving an H3 in high school. His family was poor. Do you think he got that out of the kindness of the bank/car dealership's heart? There are THOUSANDS of examples. Shoe companies paid 10x-20x more for athletes to go play at LSU, Arizona, Kansas, and many other schools I assure you and NOTHING has or will happen to them or those players.

As I stated. I could care less about what happens to Memphis, this is a principle at this point. The NCAA needs to be held responsible for their actions. They cannot look the other way when a blue blood or high power school does something, and hammer smaller brand schools. If this were UConn you would be making the same argument. Like I said, "I could care less what happens to Memphis, but I hope at a minimum Wiseman gets paid by the NCAA."

The NCAA is at fault here and it is VERY apparent someone called in a favor.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
Where did we get some of these posters?

Hey listen I get the “what about Sean Miller, Bill Self etc” argument but let’s start somewhere. It’s blatant cheating let’s stop the guy with 100M in his pocket from being able to do it this way. Memphis doesn’t suddenly deserve to be on top due to dollars (don’t forget about Miller and his family AAU) make them earn it by coaching. We saw they weren’t very good st that last year. Hope he’s ineligible NEXT.

That is the argument against the NCAA. Don't take this personally. Yeah, Memphis fans are annoying and after reading their crap on the AAC board the last two years, this couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people, but this ISN'T about Memphis.

This is about the corrupt nonsense the NCAA consistently pulls. They can't let some slide and others get hammered. Had they not "cleared" him when all of this was reported initially there would be no argument. He would have had to pay the $11,500 back and he would have been suspended 5-6 games.

The issue is that this is feeling eerily like someone from outside of the NCAA called in a favor. The NCAA has NEVER done something like this without "new" evidence being presented. The simply "changed out minds" argument doesn't work here.

The situation isn't normal. Wiseman will more than likely win here which is what the majority of people want. Screw Memphis, this isn't about Memphis. This is about that kid getting a fair shake and the NCAA paying for their many years of corrupt business model.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the best thing that Wiseman and Memphis have going for them is that the NCAA ruled him eligible and that they acted in reliance on that ruling. There are counter-arguments for the NCAA, but it is a good point.

That would only come up if they potentially vacated the games he played in. They could try to use that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Where did this frosh college kid get all of these lawyers who seem to have instantaniously popped-up in a flash / puff of smoke equipted w 500 page legal briefs? Were they prepped for this? And who's paying?

The school. They are allowed to do that.

That's what I am guessing at least. As a former student of law, that is what I would have done. As far as who's paying. It 100% isn't Memphis, Penny or any booster. At least on the cover. It would be too obvious. I am guessing the lawyers are doing this pro bono. I did some research on Ballin, Ballin, and Fishman and they appear to be the real deal. They have done this type of work in the past, so the NCAA can't say they are doing this just for Wiseman, they will just point to numerous other cases they have works pro bono for others.

Why? Schools pay for lawyers all the time in eligibility rulings, allowed per NCAA rules.

An institution may provide actual and necessary expenses to attend proceedings conducted by the institution, its athletics conference or the NCAA that relate to the student-athlete’s eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics or legal proceedings that result from the student-athlete’s involvement in athletics practice or competitive events. The cost of legal representation in such proceedings also may be provided by the institution (or a representative of its athletics interests).

Reaction Score

Get real. Bilas is one of the most biased media personalities there is. I lost respect for him years ago. If this were Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, or a handful of others he would be defending them saying that the NCAA is being ridiculous and openly criticize the NCAA for it.

95% of the media is on Jame Wiseman's side. More reputable and respectable people are against the NCAA here.

Again, this isn't about Memphis. Throw your disdain for them out of the window. This is about James Wiseman. He was 16 years old. HE wasn't paid. His mother accepted, Penny covering their moving costs and Wiseman apparently didn't even know it happened until the initial paperwork was sent up. We need to start protecting these young people.

LeBron James was driving an H3 in high school. His family was poor. Do you think he got that out of the kindness of the bank/car dealership's heart? There are THOUSANDS of examples. Shoe companies paid 10x-20x more for athletes to go play at LSU, Arizona, Kansas, and many other schools I assure you and NOTHING has or will happen to them or those players.

As I stated. I could care less about what happens to Memphis, this is a principle at this point. The NCAA needs to be held responsible for their actions. They cannot look the other way when a blue blood or high power school does something, and hammer smaller brand schools. If this were UConn you would be making the same argument. Like I said, "I could care less what happens to Memphis, but I hope at a minimum Wiseman gets paid by the NCAA."

Love this take. My simple brain says I hate the NCAA more than I hate Memphis. They are hypocritical and have only focused on punishing schools outside the P5. I hope Memphis continues to flip them off and do so in the spotlight.

Penny and Memphis have an opportunity to make basketball history here. They represent non-P5 schools and force the rest of the country to either stand with the NCAA or stand against the NCAA and expose them. I think it’s awesome

Reaction Score

To really understand this situation I think we need to recall articles like this from 18 months ago:

Smith's lawyer: Is Penny hurting Memphis recruiting?

"With rumors continuing to swirl about the future of Memphis men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith, his longtime attorney on Friday questioned former Tigers star Penny Hardaway’s role in Smith’s inability to recruit Memphis area players during his two years on the job.
If you’ve got somebody that wants the job and they’re controlling most of the talent in the city, I’m not casting aspersions. I’ll let you draw conclusions,” Ricky Lefft said before the Tigers pulled off a dramatic win over Tulsa in the American Athletic Conference quarterfinals.

“But (Smith) gets hit with by the local media that he’s not getting the Memphis kids. They’re recruiting the Memphis kids. They’re bringing them on official visits. They’re making the phone calls. They’re going to the games. They’re talking to the parents … It would only be speculation on my part on what’s going on there, but it’s the worst kept secret in America that (Hardaway) wanted the job and there may come a time when coach has exited that he’ll get the job.”"

Now, how was Penny "controlling" the talent in the city? The Wiseman situation suggests it wasn't just the force of his personality and his NBA history.

It appears likely that Penny was paying guys to (1) get himself the Memphis job and (2) come play for him after he did.

I'm as card-carrying anti-NCAA as you can get, but come on. That's so dirty it would make Bruce Pearl blush.

Reaction Score
Memphis is a defendant in the case. Technically by law, they can't hold him out until the case is resolved. If they do they could be in some legal trouble. That's what the TOR is for. Had Wiseman NOT included Memphis (this was obviously planned) then they could have forced him to sit out. Memphis may still get hit, but technically they shouldn't.
I really hate what seems to be now the norm in the US>. Run to the courts for everything. Since you seem to understand something of the legal issues here, what court was it filed in. The courts are sinking in credibility quickly because of venue shopping.Would you consider this to be a unbiased judge [which I used to think judges were supposed to be].
?

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
I really hate what seems to be now the norm in the US>. Run to the courts for everything. Since you seem to understand something of the legal issues here, what court was it filed in. The courts are sinking in credibility quickly because of venue shopping.Would you consider this to be a unbiased judge [which I used to think judges were supposed to be].
?

That's why the NCAA will more than likely have it in the Federal Courts by the time it's all said and done. They probably will file it on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
I just don't get some people in this thread. Why would you root against the NCAA here? They are trying to stop cheating. Penny knew he was going to be the coach of Memphis and knew exactly what he was doing.

Also anyone who thinks Wiseman is innocent and didn't know about the money has no clue.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
To really understand this situation I think we need to recall articles like this from 18 months ago:

Smith's lawyer: Is Penny hurting Memphis recruiting?

"With rumors continuing to swirl about the future of Memphis men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith, his longtime attorney on Friday questioned former Tigers star Penny Hardaway’s role in Smith’s inability to recruit Memphis area players during his two years on the job.
If you’ve got somebody that wants the job and they’re controlling most of the talent in the city, I’m not casting aspersions. I’ll let you draw conclusions,” Ricky Lefft said before the Tigers pulled off a dramatic win over Tulsa in the American Athletic Conference quarterfinals.

“But (Smith) gets hit with by the local media that he’s not getting the Memphis kids. They’re recruiting the Memphis kids. They’re bringing them on official visits. They’re making the phone calls. They’re going to the games. They’re talking to the parents … It would only be speculation on my part on what’s going on there, but it’s the worst kept secret in America that (Hardaway) wanted the job and there may come a time when coach has exited that he’ll get the job.”"

Now, how was Penny "controlling" the talent in the city? The Wiseman situation suggests it wasn't just the force of his personality and his NBA history.

It appears likely that Penny was paying guys to (1) get himself the Memphis job and (2) come play for him after he did.

I'm as card-carrying anti-NCAA as you can get, but come on. That's so dirty it would make Bruce Pearl blush.

That's the thing though. You're assuming intent.

Let's look at the facts.

This was in 2017. Penny who never wanted to coach at all and only did so because of his friend Dez asking him too was the high school coach at East. He also ran an AAU team. Penny at this point had no clue, he would be the Memphis head coach, This was a while before it happened and Tubby Smith was still the Headcoach going into his 2nd season.

Tubby Smith stated that he couldn't recruit locally because Penny was locking him out and the local kids were listening. Penny was pushing them to go elsewhere.

Hence; Alex Lomax (Wichita State), Ryan Boyce (UAB), Tyler Harris (Baylor), James Wiseman (Kentucky), DJ Jefferies (Kentucky), and Dandridge (Alabama).

It wasn't until Penny got the job that these players even considered Memphis. Two of them even had to get out of LOI's and those respective schools (Wichita State and UAB) allowed those players out due to the situation.

If Penny thought he was going to be the head coach, why would he go out of his way to steer those players elsewhere and then go through all the hassle of putting this all together once he was hired?

Also, Penny has helped hundreds of kids in the Memphis area as well as others outside of the area. This is the exact same reason UNC got off with the academic scandal. (They stated those classes were available to all students, not just athletes). Penny even let Alex Lomax move in with him and covered his day to day living expenses.

So there is a history of Penny doing good deeds for multiple kids, not just Wiseman. Lomax's expensive for several years would have been in the 100+ thousand range. (Food, travel, bills, home, etc..)

I think what we need to do is sit back and look at the entire situation here. Not for Penny and for Memphis but because of the way this played out. Regardless of what happened, there seems to be no intent and Wiseman was not given a dime. (That we know of) and neither was anyone else. This was Penny helping out a mother. Her daughter/Wiseman's sister lived in Memphis, attended the University of Memphis and she wanted to be closer to her. Am I or is anyone else too dense to realize that basketball didn't have anything to do with it? Of course not. Wiseman playing for Penny at the AAU/High School level probably had a lot to do with. She moved from a much better Nashville area to crappy Memphis. (Sorry if any Memphis fans read this, I have been there and outside of like 3 areas it wasn't great). Also, stated, Wiseman had zero knowledge of this until the paper work was submitted.

The TSSAA (Tennessee's Athletic Association) originally declared Wiseman ineligible, after an appeal and a bit of work he was cleared to play. He played for East for two seasons.

Once he committed to Memphis and enrolled, they sent up the paperwork that stated ALL of this information. The NCAA cleared him on May 29, 2019. Following that Memphis received a second verdict that stated, " We made an error, but will honor our original eligible verdict." Prior to this, I am assuming Wiseman and his lawyers had an appeal ready to go, which is why they moved so quickly.

At this point, having been cleared twice. Wiseman was good to go. Then on Friday afternoon randomly the NCAA states "They changed their mind" after the season had started and he had already played a game.

This obviously isn't going to fly with anyone. Outside of Gary Parrish and Bilas and a few other small-time media guys, no one is in support of the NCAA here that matters.

If people want to be taken seriously on this matter, and people want to have a respectable opinion they need to be more educated or at least list all of the facts concerning the situation.

As I stated I do not care if he ever plays another game for Memphis, but at a minimum, I think the NCAA needs to pay him. Period.

Had they declared he was ineligible two things could have happened.

1. He is completed banned for college basketball for his lone season. In which case he probably goes overseas and a player of his caliber makes 500k-1 mil+.

2. His mom pays the $11,500 back and he is suspended a number of games.

Had they declared him just ineligible at Memphis. He could have gone somewhere else. (Kentucky)

3. Since they declared him eligible twice, he was good to go at Memphis and neither of the above scenarios played out. Which ultimately, in the end, costs him.

The NCAA messed up here. Whether anyone likes it or not, they messed up by declaring him eligible twice and since no new information has arisen their argument shouldn't hold up in any court anywhere regardless of where it's located.

I think everything ends up getting settled. Wiseman's mom agrees to pay the $11,500 back. He gets suspended a few games and the NCAA pumps their chest, Memphis lets them, and by conference season all of this is just a memory.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
I just don't get some people in this thread. Why would you root against the NCAA here? They are trying to stop cheating. Penny knew he was going to be the coach of Memphis and knew exactly what he was doing.

Also anyone who thinks Wiseman is innocent and didn't know about the money has no clue.

Because of the entire situation. Read my post above.

I will never root for the NCAA EVER again. When they punish Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, LSU, Arizona, hit Louisville harder, strip Syracuse's national title from 03, take away Kansas' national title in 08 we can talk. Until then, screw them.

They have selective cheating punishments and it's not fair period.

Reaction Score
The NCAA should be ashamed of their damn selves, they let Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas get away with murder. And they don’t do anything.This is steering 101. Either go to certain schools if you’re a Top recruit or face scrutiny. Zion, Bagley III, Kansas’s past 3 classes, and the squid gonna squid. All have stank on them. F the NCAA if Wiseman is ruled ineligible. F them anyway!!!
Makes one wonder if the NCAA gets discreet 3am phone calls from P5 basketball supporters complaining about a particular AAC coach and program.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
Makes one wonder if the NCAA gets discreet 3am phone calls from P5 basketball supporters complaining about a particular AAC coach and program.

Lol probably not.

From the Memphis board and some on the AAC. Several fans believe it was Cal and Gary Parrish, or Coach K over Boogie Ellis, or possibly even Tubby Smith since he would have known about the move in 2017.

Gary released an article stating James may be ineligible after the first exhibition game. Then the University of Memphis released a statement that stated he was eligible. He was slammed for his article and made to look like a fool. Since that point, he has gone out of his way to discredit Memphis and even acted like an ass on CBS during the Veterans Classic. (Saw that myself).

Cal was incredibly pissed. There were a bunch of Kentucky fans many say are "insiders" that Cal was mad at Penny because he "betrayed" him. Cal would have known about the 2017 move as well as Kentucky was the 100% favorite until Penny took over at Memphis.

Coach K would also be able to figure some stuff out as well regarding that, and since it was reported.

In any of the above scenarios, all of the above to include Tubby Smith could have threatened to blow the whistle on the situation if the NCAA didn't declare him ineligible.

I don't know if any of this is true, or if Memphis fans are reaching, but that's why it is a VERY strange situation. As I stated the NCAA has never done anything like this before without "new" evidence. There is zero new evidence which leads many to believe something is going on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
Yes it is strange. Maybe, the NCAA wants (needs?) Wiseman as a headliner and this is all planned out ahead of time. They "lose" in court, Wiseman plays, and hey....they tried.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
Yes it is strange. Maybe, the NCAA wants (needs?) Wiseman as a headliner and this is all planned out ahead of time. They "lose" in court, Wiseman plays, and hey....they tried.

That would be absolutely insane lol! I wouldn't put it past them though!

Reaction Score
That's the thing though. You're assuming intent.

Let's look at the facts.

This was in 2017. Penny who never wanted to coach at all and only did so because of his friend Dez asking him too was the high school coach at East. He also ran an AAU team. Penny at this point had no clue, he would be the Memphis head coach, This was a while before it happened and Tubby Smith was still the Headcoach going into his 2nd season.

Tubby Smith stated that he couldn't recruit locally because Penny was locking him out and the local kids were listening. Penny was pushing them to go elsewhere.

Hence; Alex Lomax (Wichita State), Ryan Boyce (UAB), Tyler Harris (Baylor), James Wiseman (Kentucky), DJ Jefferies (Kentucky), and Dandridge (Alabama).

It wasn't until Penny got the job that these players even considered Memphis. Two of them even had to get out of LOI's and those respective schools (Wichita State and UAB) allowed those players out due to the situation.

If Penny thought he was going to be the head coach, why would he go out of his way to steer those players elsewhere and then go through all the hassle of putting this all together once he was hired?

Also, Penny has helped hundreds of kids in the Memphis area as well as others outside of the area. This is the exact same reason UNC got off with the academic scandal. (They stated those classes were available to all students, not just athletes). Penny even let Alex Lomax move in with him and covered his day to day living expenses.

So there is a history of Penny doing good deeds for multiple kids, not just Wiseman. Lomax's expensive for several years would have been in the 100+ thousand range. (Food, travel, bills, home, etc..)

I think what we need to do is sit back and look at the entire situation here. Not for Penny and for Memphis but because of the way this played out. Regardless of what happened, there seems to be no intent and Wiseman was not given a dime. (That we know of) and neither was anyone else. This was Penny helping out a mother. Her daughter/Wiseman's sister lived in Memphis, attended the University of Memphis and she wanted to be closer to her. Am I or is anyone else too dense to realize that basketball didn't have anything to do with it? Of course not. Wiseman playing for Penny at the AAU/High School level probably had a lot to do with. She moved from a much better Nashville area to crappy Memphis. (Sorry if any Memphis fans read this, I have been there and outside of like 3 areas it wasn't great). Also, stated, Wiseman had zero knowledge of this until the paper work was submitted.

The TSSAA (Tennessee's Athletic Association) originally declared Wiseman ineligible, after an appeal and a bit of work he was cleared to play. He played for East for two seasons.

Once he committed to Memphis and enrolled, they sent up the paperwork that stated ALL of this information. The NCAA cleared him on May 29, 2019. Following that Memphis received a second verdict that stated, " We made an error, but will honor our original eligible verdict." Prior to this, I am assuming Wiseman and his lawyers had an appeal ready to go, which is why they moved so quickly.

At this point, having been cleared twice. Wiseman was good to go. Then on Friday afternoon randomly the NCAA states "They changed their mind" after the season had started and he had already played a game.

This obviously isn't going to fly with anyone. Outside of Gary Parrish and Bilas and a few other small-time media guys, no one is in support of the NCAA here that matters.

If people want to be taken seriously on this matter, and people want to have a respectable opinion they need to be more educated or at least list all of the facts concerning the situation.

As I stated I do not care if he ever plays another game for Memphis, but at a minimum, I think the NCAA needs to pay him. Period.

Had they declared he was ineligible two things could have happened.

1. He is completed banned for college basketball for his lone season. In which case he probably goes overseas and a player of his caliber makes 500k-1 mil+.

2. His mom pays the $11,500 back and he is suspended a number of games.

Had they declared him just ineligible at Memphis. He could have gone somewhere else. (Kentucky)

3. Since they declared him eligible twice, he was good to go at Memphis and neither of the above scenarios played out. Which ultimately, in the end, costs him.

The NCAA messed up here. Whether anyone likes it or not, they messed up by declaring him eligible twice and since no new information has arisen their argument shouldn't hold up in any court anywhere regardless of where it's located.

I think everything ends up getting settled. Wiseman's mom agrees to pay the $11,500 back. He gets suspended a few games and the NCAA pumps their chest, Memphis lets them, and by conference season all of this is just a memory.

You're only working on what Memphis submitted to the court. You have one side of the story. You haven't read the communications that "cleared" Wiseman. They've submitted arguments designed to make their case look impenetrable. We'll see how true that is. I'm skeptical that the NCAA cleared him twice and then randomly decided to punish him now with no new information revealed. It's possible, but I'm not going to read a lawyer's argument and assume it's 100% the full picture and truth.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
You're only working on what Memphis submitted to the court. You have one side of the story. You haven't read the communications that "cleared" Wiseman. They've submitted arguments designed to make their case look impenetrable. We'll see how true that is. I'm skeptical that the NCAA cleared him twice and then randomly decided to punish him now with no new information revealed. It's possible, but I'm not going to read a lawyer's argument and assume it's 100% the full picture and truth.

This is true, I am basing a lot on what I have read/heard regarding the publicly released information. The rest will definitely come out.

The key is the clearance. If he wasn't cleared or if they cleared him with the stipulation his eligibility was still under investigation and could change on a whim then sure. However, the NCAA "reevaluating and changing their mind" randomly shows me that he was cleared.

Facts presented and specifics such as the double clearance is something that can't be faked. It wouldn't have even made it this far if it wasn't true.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Because of the entire situation. Read my post above.

I will never root for the NCAA EVER again. When they punish Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, LSU, Arizona, hit Louisville harder, strip Syracuse's national title from 03, take away Kansas' national title in 08 we can talk. Until then, screw them.

They have selective cheating punishments and it's not fair period.
That's kind of a strange argument. Because they didn't prosecute any other cheaters, you don't want them to win in prosecuting any new cheaters. Wouldn't that just encourage the 'non touchables' to continue cheating?

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
That's kind of a strange argument. Because they didn't prosecute any other cheaters, you don't want them to win in prosecuting any new cheaters. Wouldn't that just encourage the 'non touchables' to continue cheating?

Nah you took it out of context. Actual cheating yes. Situations such as the one I listed above with a very detailed description of Wiseman's situation no. I guess for some it's ok for LSU to get away with "good ass offers" and to "compensate more than the rookie minimum". Much less anything else I mentioned.

My point is until the NCAA goes after the REAL cheaters and stops letting them slide while hitting smaller schools as consultation prizes to appease the masses I will NOT support them or ever be in their corner.

This Wiseman thing is a joke compared to literally EVERY SINGLE THING that has come out the last few years.

If this is cheating, then every single school has done this in one form or another. Should we all suspend our players for a few games? Should we all just shut it down for a few years?

As I stated, this is about Wiseman. He was cleared. He either needs to get paid by the NCAA for screwing up his season or they need to let him play. Period.

Reaction Score

Lol! NCAA trying to stop programs from cheating? What a joke! I want what you’re having.
They step on the throats of the smaller programs and allow the big boys to run amuck. Screw them

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The untouchables will continue “cheating“ either way. Memphis’ defiance to the NCAA in the public spotlight could mean change for everyone, the small programs too. Allows everyone else to stop abiding to their made up “rules” also. California law was the first nail in the coffin. There will be more. The NCAA is falling apart and I love it. The way they treated our program I have no respect or remorse for them. They deserve what is coming

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nah you took it out of context. Actual cheating yes. Situations such as the one I listed above with a very detailed description of Wiseman's situation no. I guess for some it's ok for LSU to get away with "good ass offers" and to "compensate more than the rookie minimum". Much less anything else I mentioned.

My point is until the NCAA goes after the REAL cheaters and stops letting them slide while hitting smaller schools as consultation prizes to appease the masses I will NOT support them or ever be in their corner.

This Wiseman thing is a joke compared to literally EVERY SINGLE THING that has come out the last few years.

If this is cheating, then every single school has done this in one form or another. Should we all suspend our players for a few games? Should we all just shut it down for a few years?

As I stated, this is about Wiseman. He was cleared. He either needs to get paid by the NCAA for screwing up his season or they need to let him play. Period.
I have a feeling you are in the tiniest of minority who agrees with your view
but I am no attorney nor do I play one on TV
However, what I see is blatant cheating and thus - the kid does not deserve to step on an NCAA court and Penny should never coach college ball again
JMO

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
College hoops has been a spit show for a while. The NCAA selectively enforces rules and most everyone tries to find a way to break those rules. Big time college sports stinks to high heaven and everyone is complicit.

The kid wouldn't have gotten squat from Penny if he couldn't play basketball. There's nothing noble here.

Reaction Score
Fishman, one of Wiseman attorneys, was just on the radio. He wanted to keep it in generalities, not reveal too much, but did say a few interesting things. The host asked him how they would respond if the NCAA files to remove the case to Federal Court. He said they would respond ------ and then continued that there's no federal question here only state issues and state law, no money being asked for, and there's not complete and utter diversity. Elements that need to be shown to remove a case to Federal Court. You got to figure that will be their position, at least in part, with this issue ---- ie once NCAA very likely tries to remove it to Federal Court. Later he made another interesting point ---- under the NCAA scenario you have an *innocent party* subjected to punishments and *unclear punishments.* The NCAA has no punishment framework they work within. First the NCAA makes a finding and then only later does one learn the punishment. They seem to be just talkin at that point --- but there is a claim of "arbitrary and capricious" action / punishments on behalf of the NCAA in their Wiseman complaint. Makes me also think they may show how similarly-situated institutions and players are treated differently. Just a guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom