James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 3 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Reaction Score
Sure, but is the paying booster Hardaway still eligible a la Bill Self, Sean Walsh, et al?

Reaction Score
Apparently he is playing tonite. ESPN shows him in the pre-game warm-ups. Waiting for NCAA to react to local (hayseed?) judge. But with no other court order, ... oh, oh.

Reaction Score
The NCAA ruled that based on a 2008 donation by Penny to the University of Memphis he remained a booster in 2017 we need help with Wiseman moving expenses while his AAU coach. That's where the confusion with 2008 and 2017 come in.

Reaction Score
Hard to understand why anyone here would cheer for this.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Memphis isn't Arizona, Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky so this is a no go.

Reaction Score
What happens in Tennessee stays in Tennessee. Nashville to Memphis, no problem. Hard to believe that costs 12k down there. LOL

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Memphis have to forfeit this win if Wiseman's ineligibility is ultimately upheld? Surprised they're having him play tonight.

You know what UConn would do? They would hold him out. Who was the player a few years ago who UConn held out the first few games as a precaution because the NCAA was supposedly cracking down on the academics from prep schools? It was someone really good. Most of the other schools didn't care and played their freshmen players from prep schools. But not UConn. And of course nothing ever happened to any of the players and the whole thing went away quietly. I remember being pretty pissed about it.

Reaction Score
Interesanteeee

18B766A3-D3A0-4CA6-A85D-9AE54C3C8014.jpeg

Reaction Score
Penny made a 2008 donation to the school. That, according to the NCAA, made him a booster in 2017.

Reaction Score
NCAA should come down HARD on Memphis or it's gonna become a free-for-all. Their decision to blatantly ignore the NCAA recommendations could set a horrible precedent. They should forfeit their first two wins and have additional penalties slapped on. It's just laughable that it's gonna happen to Memphis and not the UNC's, Duke's, and Arizona's, but we should expect nothing less.

We all wondered how Penny landed so many good players - now we know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Penny and Memphis might just continue to send a big “screw you” to the NCAA and play him anyway. And honestly, I’m with that, the NCAA is a clown show, Arizona, Kansas, UNC, Louisville should all be getting punished and it’s weird to me how fast NCAA acted on Memphis and not these other programs. And how these others programs got full seasons without dealing with repercussions. I think Memphis knows this and is just done with their crap. I’m not really sure just speaking my mind

Reaction Score
I want to post my feelings on all of this but I’m too confused and at the same time it all makes sense. What in the heeeeeelllll

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Penny made a 2008 donation to the school. That, according to the NCAA, made him a booster in 2017.

The fact that he’s the most famous athlete to graduate from the school should do that anyway.
Role of Boosters. He clearly promoted the school’s athletic interests.

Here’s the real question, was he already in discussion to become the coach? If so, that’s a problem for Memphis. If not, I think he can argue he did it for the HS team he coached, with no expectation to benefit Memphis. If he was already negotiating to become the coach, I think Wiseman is going to be ineligible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom