James Bouknight | Page 5 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can Chief say both positions? Chief likes to have both a center and power forward who can do the trench warfare thing both offensively and defensively. I understand how it’s nice to have guys who stretch the floor too at those positions but to me that’s a nice to have. Kicking butt down low is a requirement.

In an ideal world, sure, but if we are looking at UCONN specifically for next year? @superjohn is right.

At PF, we have Akok, who's very effective on interior D--the most important thing--and as a space creator on O as a prototypical modern stretch 4. We also have a stronger Polley and Whaley, who, while not a pure strength/banger guy, does operate mostly down low. And maaaybe we have Diarra, who is closer to what you are talking about.

At center, we have Carlton. That's it. And quite frankly, to me, at this level, Carlton is a very effective backup. We desperately need a Kofi Cockburn type to plug in as a starter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks healthy to me.

The clip is the actual dunk where he fell after. The person who took that video, who was right under the basket filming, was the one who texted me right after and told me hurt his knee. I posted a picture of him with ice on his knee after to show he wasn't healthy.

I am hearing that he is out a month and not sure if he got an MRI or not.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The clip is the actual dunk where he fell after. The person who took that video, who was right under the basket filming, was the one who texted me right after and told me hurt his knee. I posted a picture of him with ice on his knee after to show he wasn't healthy.

I am hearing that he is out a month and not sure if he got an MRI or not.
Sprain?

Reaction Score
Can Chief say both positions? Chief likes to have both a center and power forward who can do the trench warfare thing both offensively and defensively. I understand how it’s nice to have guys who stretch the floor too at those positions but to me that’s a nice to have. Kicking butt down low is a requirement.
We saw what happened in the Iowa game when you don't have bangers down low.

Reaction Score
it's telling that 3 of the 4 guys hurley is still chasing are centers- def the position of concern going into next year.

but who is more likely to start, bouknight or wilson? vital isn't getting relegated to the bench his senior year imo. someone would have to pry that spot from his cold, dead hands.

gilbert - gaffney
vital- b adams
bouknight- wilson
akok- polley
??? - carlton

getting any of kofi, wahab, or tre completes the lineup perfectly

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hope his coach and doctors will shut him down for an extended period to ensure this injury heals correctly and completely I see big things coming for this kid and would hate to see a rush back and suffering a more extensive injury

Reaction Score
it's telling that 3 of the 4 guys hurley is still chasing are centers- def the position of concern going into next year.

but who is more likely to start, bouknight or wilson? vital isn't getting relegated to the bench his senior year imo. someone would have to pry that spot from his cold, dead hands.

gilbert - gaffney
vital- b adams
bouknight- wilson
akok- polley
??? - carlton

getting any of kofi, wahab, or tre completes the lineup perfectly

Tony Robertson got relegated to the bench his senior year as JC brought in better players who fit the style he wanted to play. You better believe Vital is going to sit in favor of Hurley's recruits if they're a better fit for Hurley's system. I would be shocked, however, if Wilson isn't starting at the 3.

I'd love to see:
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Cockburn

with Gaffney and Vital off the bench at the 1/2/3, Polley at the 3/4, Carlton at the 5. There's your 9-man rotation. Don't see much time for Whaley, Diarra, or Brendan Adams, sorry.

That's an outstanding young lineup that can grow together over 2 years, probably some growing pains next year, but a legit FF contender in 2021.

Reaction Score
Tony Robertson got relegated to the bench his senior year as JC brought in better players who fit the style he wanted to play. You better believe Vital is going to sit in favor of Hurley's recruits if they're a better fit for Hurley's system. I would be shocked, however, if Wilson isn't starting at the 3.

I'd love to see:
Gilbert
Bouknight
Wilson
Akok
Cockburn

with Gaffney and Vital off the bench at the 1/2/3, Polley at the 3/4, Carlton at the 5. There's your 9-man rotation. Don't see much time for Whaley, Diarra, or Brendan Adams, sorry.

That's an outstanding young lineup that can grow together over 2 years, probably some growing pains next year, but a legit FF contender in 2021.
That's the way I see it, Hurley is bringing in talent that he will shape to go far in the tournament. Vital, Polley, and Carlton can be good but they all have serious flaws and there is a ceiling to how far you can go with them. Polley should be shooting a million threes a day and just working on his D. There will always be a valuable role for a sniper with his height who can D up. Carlton can be a good backup but he's just too limited to be a starting center on a team that wants to do major damage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
quite frankly, to me, at this level, Carlton is a very effective backup.
I think he's going to pretty effective next season with another year of Sal off season training. He has his moments he just need strength.

Reaction Score
don't get me wrong, i'd like to see bouknight and wilson both starting based on their potential. but wilson has a loooong way to go to if he wants to replace vital in the lineup.

wilson wasn't a hurley recruit either, which is why i had bouknight edging him out

Last edited:
Reaction Score
don't get me wrong, i'd like to see bouknight and wilson both starting based on their potential. but wilson has a loooong way to go to if he wants to replace vital in the lineup.

wilson wasn't a hurley recruit either, which is why i had bouknight edging him out

Hurley has said that Sid was definitely a factor in why he took this job

C

Chief00

We saw what happened in the Iowa game when you don't have bangers down low.
If you don’t have a strong rotation of Bigs, some teams are going to overpower you. Polley and Whaley don’t check that box.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he's going to pretty effective next season with another year of Sal off season training. He has his moments he just need strength.
I like Josh but I’m not sure Sal can improve his anticipation and reflex reactions to ever changing plays.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said that Sid was definitely a factor in why he took this job

He's not a Hurley recruit, but he's at least a guy who isn't as tainted by all the losing and horrible coaching over the last few years. You could put Gilbert in that category as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
I like Josh but I’m not sure Sal can improve his anticipation and reflex reactions to ever changing plays.
He probably can help with reaction times. I'm familiar with private trainers who specialize in that. I was talking about muscle mass and strength to help with holding his position down low.

Reaction Score

"When Dan Hurley took over at UConn, he saw some familiar faces. Sidney Wilson, a player he recruited and missed, was among those he was inheriting now."

Reaction Score
I would really like it if Hurley could sell Vital on the role of being sixth man next year with one of the younger, bigger guards starting at the 2. Feel like next year's team would have a higher ceiling with Vital in a Tarin Smith role, providing essential scoring and leadership off the bench. Would be a sacrifice for sure, but it would be a big-time move from Vital.

Reaction Score
Asked around and heard (from someone close to him) Bouknight said he’s all good. People around him are going to push him to be very cautious given his previous meniscus injury. That’s definitely for the best.

Makes sense, heard he wants to come back to play in the NYC Tourny against the Scotie Lewis and Bryan Antoine.

Reaction Score
I would really like it if Hurley could sell Vital on the role of being sixth man next year with one of the younger, bigger guards starting at the 2. Feel like next year's team would have a higher ceiling with Vital in a Tarin Smith role, providing essential scoring and leadership off the bench. Would be a sacrifice for sure, but it would be a big-time move from Vital.

If Vital is going to be plugged into the 6th man role I wouldn't blame him if he looked to play elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I am really excited to see James Bouknight in a UConn uniform next season. He has so many good qualities including athleticism, leadership, shooting stroke and high basketball IQ. I really hope he doesn't rush back from the injury. Nothing he does during the rest of his high school season is worth risking his future for. If he stays healthy, I truly believe he can be an impact player as a freshman.

CL82

Reaction Score
Vital is tough guy to keep off the floor. For all his short comings, no one plays harder. His defense and rebounding alone should keep him in the starting line up.

Reaction Score
If Vital is going to be plugged into the 6th man role I wouldn't blame him if he looked to play elsewhere.

So, you think it would be better for him to look elsewhere and sit for a year rather than play a big role @ UCONN. Makes sense, particularly since he tested the NBA waters following last season.Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom