James Bouknight | Page 6 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Vital is going to be plugged into the 6th man role I wouldn't blame him if he looked to play elsewhere.
Vital is tough guy to keep off the floor. For all his short comings, no one plays harder. His defense and rebounding alone should keep him in the starting line up.
For what it's worth, I didn't mean to suggest Vital should play less, just that he might be good coming off the bench. Tarin Smith and CV are averaging essentially the same amount of minutes and shots.

Also, I would not be disappointed in the slightest if CV started every game for the rest of his UConn career. One of my favorite players on the team since he got here.

Reaction Score
So, you think it would be better for him to look elsewhere and sit for a year rather than play a big role @ UCONN. Makes sense, particularly since he tested the NBA waters following last season.Head bang

Sure

Reaction Score
So, you think it would be better for him to look elsewhere and sit for a year rather than play a big role @ UCONN. Makes sense, particularly since he tested the NBA waters following last season.Head bang

It blows my mind the expectations that people have for incoming Freshmen and guys coming off injuries or transfers that have not played in over a year..

No way a freshman is going to start day one over a solid experienced senior Vital... At least not any we have comitted to us.. Booknight will be a really good player but you think he’s just going to start right off the get go ?

And no way Vital is on any NBA teams draft board... He may leave to go overseas cause his boy Jalen is graduating but not NBA.

Vital is the exact definition of a 4 year player who possibly shines his Senior year

Reaction Score
true, but to be fair i think 99% of us expect precious, akok, and kofi to all start as freshmen if they come.

Precious and Kofi will start. I'm sure they're telling Akok he'll start, but I'm not so sure he'll really be better than Polley. Depends on how much each does as a defender.

Reaction Score
Vital is tough guy to keep off the floor. For all his short comings, no one plays harder. His defense and rebounding alone should keep him in the starting line up.
Also, he isn't taking as many bad shots as last year. I don't see those half court ones like last year that were WTF moments. Vital is one of the most consistent guys as far production on the team and people just want to throw him to the bench. I just don't understand it. Posters on here are already putting a talented but injury prone Freshman ahead of Sr. proven player at SG next year. How about we see what happens before already projecting this. I think Vital will start at the beginning of next year no matter what.

Reaction Score
Also, he isn't taking as many bad shots as last year. I don't see those half court ones like last year that were WTF moments. Vital is one of the most consistent guys as far production on the team and people just want to throw him to the bench. I just don't understand it. Posters on here are already putting a talented but injury prone Freshman ahead of Sr. proven player at SG next year. How about we see what happens before already projecting this. I think Vital will start at the beginning of next year no matter what.

I would put it at a 95% chance. Minus the bonehead 2 turnovers a game, he's having a fantastic year.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
I think some people underestimate the importance of a really good 6th man.. It could be argued that to be a great team it's just as important as a starting position if not more.. You can easily even see more minutes as a 6th man than as a starter.. I played this role on a championship team back in the day and averaged more minutes than a few of the starters..

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's not a Hurley recruit, but he's at least a guy who isn't as tainted by all the losing and horrible coaching over the last few years. You could put Gilbert in that category as well.

Hurley recruited Sid at URI, so he kinda is. Sid is his type of player.

Reaction Score
The chance of a FR starting over CV will put yet another massive chip on CV's shoulder. Can't see that happening on day 1

Reaction Score
Damn, did not mean to open this can of worms. Sorry, y'all. CV is great and I'm optimistic about Bouknight, Gaffney, and B. Adams. Looking forward to another year with plenty of talent at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Maybe this isn't the thread for it, but in college basketball and especially college football, I hate the excuse "he's not this coach's recruit". A good coach will embrace the recruits of previous coaches and get them to buy in to his program. This is what Hurley is doing.

Reaction Score
We do need Vital's rebounding but if we play bigs who can consistently rebound it may reduce his playing time next season. Take away Vital's rebounding and what is left is a below average ball handler, average defender and inconsistent shooter who makes too many poor decisions. Vital is much better this year and hopefully he continues to improve. I hope he comes back next year but if he doesn't we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
We do need Vital's rebounding but if we play bigs who can consistently rebound it may reduce his playing time next season. Take away Vital's rebounding and what is left is a below average ball handler, average defender and inconsistent shooter who makes too many poor decisions. Vital is much better this year and hopefully he continues to improve. I hope he comes back next year but if he doesn't we'll be fine.
His minutes will almost certainly he down some, rebounding should be much less of a problem next year. He could be a great 6th man.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1545348486647.png

Averaging 12 points 5 rebounds and 2 steals that's a solid contribution. He's shooting 44% overall and 39% from behind the arc. Of course he's also averages just under 3 t/o per game. Still I feel like the kid should get more love on the board. He's a scrapper and is productive.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think he's going to pretty effective next season with another year of Sal off season training. He has his moments he just need strength.

Perhaps ,but Kofi would still be able to knock him around easily as an incoming freshman. I'd expect Kofi to start.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps ,but Kofi would still be able to knock him around easily as an incoming freshman. I'd expect Kofi to start.
Probably. Kofi is definitely a big guy.

Reaction Score
View attachment 37576
Averaging 12 points 5 rebounds and 2 steals that's a solid contribution. He's shooting 44% overall and 39% from behind the arc. Of course he's also averages just under 3 t/o per game. Still I feel like the kid should get more love on the board. He's a scrapper and is productive.

He is leading the team in rebounding from the guard position for the second year in a row, plus he plays pretty good D. Unless I am misremembering, he has scored 30 and 29 in games in the past. He is always involved and when you are in on that many plays you are going to make some mistakes. I think CV is a bit better than the board gives him credit for. He competes all the time and has easily exceeded the expectations most had when he artrved. I really like the changes in his game under Hurley. CV needed the structure and discipline, and he (and the team) have benefitted from it.

Reaction Score
You’ll have to replace CV over his dead body. Nobody on this team has the fight, determination or competitive spirit of Christian Vital. You don’t look to replace him, you look to continue making him better and reduce his turnovers. The kid would win a steel cage match between our players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You’ll have to replace CV over his dead body. Nobody on this team has the fight, determination or competitive spirit of Christian Vital. You don’t look to replace him, you look to continue making him better and reduce his turnovers. The kid would win a steel cage match between our players.
He’s a fighter, and you gotta love him for that. But, at some point certain players aren’t good enough to be featured guys on NCAA teams that have any hope. He’s a terrific role player.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Asked around and heard (from someone close to him) Bouknight said he’s all good. People around him are going to push him to be very cautious given his previous meniscus injury. That’s definitely for the best.

Fine as in he’ll be starting next game or fine as in he’ll be out for a month with a sprained knee?

Need Bouk on campus working with Sal asap.

Reaction Score
View attachment 37576
Vital is definitely a scrapper and Hurley will always give him minutes.
It is a question of how much PT he gets compared to other players and I think some of it will depend on front court rebounding. If the front court rebounding improves with the addition of Akok and hopefully Kofi Vital's rebounding won't be needed as much. I could see Hurley going away from 3 guard lineup if we get Kofi. Gilbert will be the PG and that leaves about 4 players competing for the second guard spot.

Reaction Score
He’s a fighter, and you gotta love him for that. But, at some point certain players aren’t good enough to be featured guys on NCAA teams that have any hope. He’s a terrific role player.
this.

Reaction Score
While I agree, there's still a very likely chance that senior Vital is better than freshman Bouknight. If Vital cuts down on his turnovers and limits the mental lapses/hero ball, he is a sweet sixteen caliber 2 guard. Granted, those are big "ifs;" but he has shown a lot of improvement already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom