James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown | Page 9 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let me ask you a simple question....

do all the players you just mentioned exemplify where you EXPECT UConn basketball to be? or do you also say the the talent level just isn’t there to fit your narrative.

pretty good isn’t good enough for UConn, I’m sorry

Are the players the current coach, who was hired to bring UConn back, elected to keep “good enough for UConn?”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. Didn’t hold Akok back.
2. We don’t enter Big East until July 1st.

Not sure what you are talking about. No Big East rules applied to Akok committing here as a freshman out of HS. And we certainly did have a Scholarship.

Fishy posted earlier that as a condition of joining the Big East, UConn agreed to abide by Big East transfer rules effective immediately. So they apply to us now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are talking about. No Big East rules applied to Akok committing here as a freshman out of HS. And we certainly did have a Scholarship.

Fishy posted earlier that as a condition of joining the Big East, UConn agreed to abide by Big East transfer rules effective immediately. So they apply to us now.

I think his point was that Akok walked on for a semester. I highly doubt that will become common here.

pj

Reaction Score
“James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men’s basketball team effective immediately and will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season,” Ewing’s statement read.

The University had every opportunity to separate the two departures and chose not to. That speaks volumes to seriousness of the issues involved. It may well be that Akinjo was only found guilty of violations of the school's code of ethics. Either way, Ewing's statement doesn't read like a "thanks James for the memories, sorry things didn't work out" kind of message.

I agree that if Akinjo is innocent, then Georgetown committed a grave sin by pairing him with LeBlanc as if they are equivalent, and implying that Akinjo will not be playing because of disciplinary action by Georgetown rather than because he wants to leave. If we could trust Georgetown then we would have to believe Akinjo was guilty of something.

I'll also agree with @businesslawyer that, unfortunately, we have no basis for trusting Georgetown and cannot assume Akinjo is guilty.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you a simple question....

do all the players you just mentioned exemplify where you EXPECT UConn basketball to be? or do you also say the the talent level just isn’t there to fit your narrative.

pretty good isn’t good enough for UConn, I’m sorry

Your point was he didn't have an eye for talent. The fact he couldn't get too much of the really high end recruits I pointed out also so I agree. But as far as finding "talent" in the 175-250 rankings he did have a n eye for that. You didn't ask me to exemplify where we should've been now did you? You simply said he had no eye for talent. Simpy put he's proven otherwise on that narrative.

Enough about Ollie no matter. Not sure why people need to bring him up to make themselves feel better about where we are now?

Reaction Score
Not only Big East rules, but we don't have a scholarship to give. Not sure why people don't realize that.
The board has been operating on the assumption that Al is gone after the year. Do you mean we don't have a scholarship for a mid year transfer?

Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing, Vance Jackson stinks.

Took a look at this stats for the first time the other day and was really struck at how much worse he's gotten since his freshman year. I really figured that worst case he could just settle in as a spot-up three point shooter but it seems that he wants to be the guy and hasn't quite realized that is just not his game right now.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
UCLA
Maybe in the past but not now. New Sheriff in town.

1575386967396.png

Reaction Score
Took a look at this stats for the first time the other day and was really struck at how much worse he's gotten since his freshman year. I really figured that worst case he could just settle in as a spot-up three point shooter but it seems that he wants to be the guy and hasn't quite realized that is just not his game right now.
I just love that he’s listed as a guard.

Reaction Score

I didn’t think we’d be better off with Polley than Jackson, but here we are.

Reaction Score
Not sure how we've morphed into Vance Jackson, but he needed to move on from UConn. He had the skills to be a useful player, but his ego (and his handlers views) were much larger than his talent, and he was never going to be happy being a limited, role player.

Reaction Score
Side note pipe dream that I know isn’t and won’t happen, but I’m trying to speak into existence. IF we were to take an undersized transfer PG. I don’t want Akinjo, give me Fatts Russell. He is still the man over at RI. Decent shooting percentage, TO numbers are low and like 3.5 steals per game

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This. Ollie could identify talent, he just couldn’t coach it up.
I thought about this statement a while. I think it's more true than not.

I periodically say this, but KO's job on the 2014 championship team was outstanding. I don't think that anyone else gets us that natty, including 2014 Jim Calhoun. But that was about motivating Jim Calhoun guys. At the time, I bristled at people saying that, but in the end it turned out to be true. Which gets back to your core point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From the link I tried to post above but isn't working, here's a good summary writeup.
  • September 2019 – incident alleged involving LeBlanc and other basketball players that generates at least two police reports to Metro and reports to DOPS
  • November 5, 2019 – civil lawsuit is filed by female students against LeBlanc and Alexander. A motion for a temporary restraining order is filed the same day.
  • November 5, 2019 – A DOPS Officer serves the complaints and TRO motions on LeBlanc and Alexander.
  • November 6, 2019 – Opening game against Mount St. Mary’s. LeBlanc does not play. Alexander does, but does not start. Team has to come back from being down double digits to win.
  • November 12, 2019 – Second lawsuit and motion for TRO is filed, naming LeBlanc, Alexander, and Gardner as defendants.
  • November 14, 2019, 10:15am – Hearing is held on the temporary restraining order in the case against LeBlanc and Alexander. LeBlanc and Alexander do not show up to the hearing. The plaintiff testified under oath and the TRO is granted. Among other things, LeBlanc and Alexander are ordered not to "assault," "threaten," "harass," or "physically abuse" the plaintiff.
  • November 14, 2019, 6:30pm – Georgetown takes the floor to play against Penn State. Despite having the TRO granted agains them, LeBlanc and Alexander both dress for the game. LeBlanc plays 20 minutes off the bench; Alexander plays 17. Georgetown loses by 15.
  • November 15, 2019 – A copy of the TRO is served by a DOPS Officer on LeBlanc and Alexander.
  • November 20, 2019, 2:30pm – The Court holds a hearing on whether to issue a preliminary injunction (a longer lasting form of a TRO) against LeBlanc and Alexander. LeBlanc and Alexander do not show up to the hearing. The plaintiff again testified under oath. The preliminary injunction is granted. The Court concludes that the plaintiff is "likely to suffer irreparable harm in the absence of injunctive relief" and the "[t]here is a substantial likelihood Plaintiff will prevail on the merits." LeBlanc and Alexander are ordered to stay 50 feet away from the plaintiff. They are also ordered not to "assault, threaten, harass, or communicate with" the Plaintiff.
  • November 21, 2019 – LeBlanc and Alexander both play in Georgetown’s win over Texas.
  • December 2, 2019 – Georgetown issues a press release stating that "James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men’s basketball team effective immediately." News accounts confirm that they have placed their names in the transfer portal.

So basically, both Ewing and the Athletic Director should be fired.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He’s not going transfer and give up a prime season leading a P5 team just because a few of his teammates are apparently in big trouble. He’s not named in any of the docs so far, but he’s likely too close to the heat/worried about potential legal exposure to stick around.

If he was studying in the library while his teammates were out doing these alleged acts I doubt he’d be jumping in the transfer portal the day it becomes public.

Why not, he might sniff a potential coaching change coming and wants to get ahead of the game. This way he'd be able to play mid next year. And who knows what waiver the NCAA might give him

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
  • November 14, 2019, 10:15am – Hearing is held on the temporary restraining order in the case against LeBlanc and Alexander. LeBlanc and Alexander do not show up to the hearing. The plaintiff testified under oath and the TRO is granted. Among other things, LeBlanc and Alexander are ordered not to "assault," "threaten," "harass," or "physically abuse" the plaintiff.
    [*]November 14, 2019, 6:30pm – Georgetown takes the floor to play against Penn State. Despite having the TRO granted agains them, LeBlanc and Alexander both dress for the game. LeBlanc plays 20 minutes off the bench; Alexander plays 17. Georgetown loses by 15.
    [*]November 15, 2019 – A copy of the TRO is served by a DOPS Officer on LeBlanc and Alexander.

hahahaha - can you imagine? ESPN would have this on their front page in 5 seconds if this was us. No chance guys would play.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
So basically, both Ewing and the Athletic Director should be fired.
I don't see any way this doesn't happen, unless somehow the university and the athletic department were both in the dark about the legal proceedings, which I find very hard to believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom