James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown | Page 8 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown

Reaction Score
If anything it would piss off Cole or Gaffney. I'd rather have another pure shooter next year than a point guard, but Akinjo has talent
They did get kicked off the team early/mid-season. I would be careful...and prob leave well enough alone. You have a developing gaffney and cole (prob naturally a sg, but small). Focus on a big or another shooter.

Reaction Score
A kid a friend of mine knows Took a visit to Georgetown and seemed to think it was a mess. This was last spring make what you want of that.

With the big East rule doesn’t really matter if we would take Akinjo or not. But let’s not really act like he’s not good enough. Significantly better player then Cole.
Significantly better than Cole? Really? He must be pretty good - and I don't deny it. But - significantly? Cole is tremendous talent - from what I seen. But again, I'm just a fan - no basketball scout. Significantly - huh?

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
“James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men’s basketball team effective immediately and will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season,” Ewing’s statement read.

The University had every opportunity to separate the two departures and chose not to. That speaks volumes to seriousness of the issues involved. It may well be that Akinjo was only found guilty of violations of the school's code of ethics. Either way, Ewing's statement doesn't read like a "thanks James for the memories, sorry things didn't work out" kind of message.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Ewing knew and was still dressing these guys, he's gotta be out as coach.

I would think this information level gets to the AD very quickly. Can't imagine any AD punting the play/no play decision down to coach without AD approval. Truth be told this should be at university HR/Legal level for decision making.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Akinjo cannot transfer here so we can stop talking about that.

As far as why he is leaving, who knows? But if the whole team has several bad apples he could potentially spin that he needed to leave that environment and apply for a waiver. In which case, he'd need to leave ASAP.

Reaction Score
Even though we can’t get him, if Ollie wanted him...I don’t really want him. His eye for talent and developing said talent left ummmm a little to be desired.

Akinjos shooting 33% on 2FGA and 24% on 3FGA...sounds awfully similar to someone this board couldn’t stand until the Maine game.

Reaction Score
Even though we can’t get him, if Ollie wanted him...I don’t really want him. His eye for talent and developing said talent left ummmm a little to be desired.

Akinjos shooting 33% on 2FGA and 24% on 3FGA...sounds awfully similar to someone this board couldn’t stand until the Maine game.

The kids good so put away that eye for talent part. And the kid Matthews that was heading here too from the top 200 area is getting 10 and 5 under Huggins. Vital is pretty good. Carlton is pretty good. Polley is pretty good as is Gilbert. So let's leave that alone because you're wrong. Having said that, development you're not wrong on and actually getting recruits who were rated higher, not enough of them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The kids good so put away that eye for talent part. And the kid Matthews that was heading here too from the top 200 area is getting 10 and 5 under Huggins. Vital is pretty good. Carlton is pretty good. Polley is pretty good as is Gilbert. So let's leave that alone because you're wrong. Having said that, development you're not wrong on and actually getting recruits who were rated higher, not enough of them.

This. Ollie could identify talent, he just couldn’t coach it up.

Reaction Score
I agree with all of this. Even if he was not planning on staying at Georgetown, why not finish the season and put up monster stats? Akinjo is involved somehow.

Edit: Akinjo could be looking to play in the second semester of next year on another team rather than piss away a year of eligibility on this train wreck. We should hold off judgment on Akinjo until there is more information.
Lol, good to see your better angels prevailed, even if it was only after it occurred to you that he might have an ulterior motive.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you a simple question....

do all the players you just mentioned exemplify where you EXPECT UConn basketball to be? or do you also say the the talent level just isn’t there to fit your narrative.

pretty good isn’t good enough for UConn, I’m sorry

Reaction Score
Surprisingly reactionary. I've never seen anything like that on the board before.

I understand but that doesn't make it acceptable. I can just as easily postulate that he left the team because his friends are being kicked off and maybe he thinks wrongly, or he just sees the season falling apart and doesn't hang around.

Internet or not, you're not ever going to convince me that it's not wrong to just decide that a 19 year old did something criminal without a reasonable basis to come to that conclusion. If that draws a chorus of "o.k. Boomer"s, I'm perfectly willing to live with being right.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No interest, can't transfer here by Big East rules.

Far too many people have a problem letting go of recruiting hype. Once they play college games, you find out how good they really are.

He's not good enough to take on whatever baggage he has even if he could transfer here, which he can't.

If you take transfers, you shouldn't expect anything more than a back half of the rotation player or someone to fill an existing need. We don't need him and he's not a significant upgrade over what we have or have coming in. Certainly not worth messing with the chemistry that Hurley is just getting settled.

This is pining for crush that rejected you already. Get over it, and move on.

Reaction Score
Akinjo is their best player by far. Must have done something awful.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Far too many people have a problem letting go of recruiting hype. Once they play college games, you find out how good they really are.

ummmmm he was big east freshman of the year?

recruiting hype?

I dont think he would be a good fit here all things considered, but cmon, the kid can play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom