James Akinjo Decommits | Page 5 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Decommits

Reaction Score
Once the beat reporters started to call for Ollie's head you knew he was gone. Losing talent hurts, but now that this move has been made I would say the quicker we lock up a competent coach the quicker we stem the tide. I believe losing Vance Jackson, who BTW would have helped this year's team tremendously (but I digress) started the avalanche of defections we saw last off season, someone leaving/decomitting was inevitable and painful once DB pulled the trigger, but hopefully a quick great new hire will mitigate the damage.

As an aside anyone willing to take a flyer on Pitino? I have no opinion either way just curious if anyone thinks that would be a good move. The upside is - strictly coaching wise outside of Calhoun, he is probably the best available/gettable coach out there.

Reaction Score
And so it begins. He signed an LOI so I wouldn't let him out of it until the new coach has a chance to speak to him and re-recruit him.
Yeah that will make UConn and the new coach popular

Reaction Score
Now we need to go hard for Brandon Williams. No way he goes to Arizona, so it would be between Gonzaga, Oregon, UConn and Kansas. Also, TJ Moss is still out there too.

At the very least, does this help open up a spot to persuade Sherif Kenney with more playing time?

Reaction Score
When the head coach is fired, the staff is effectively fired.

They’re still working now because we need to have a coaching staff in place for the current players, but they will all likely be dismissed when the new coach comes in.

However, if I’m the guy taking this job, I try to keep Chill.

Agreed. I would bring my best assistant and keep chill for his recruiting.

Reaction Score
Once the beat reporters started to call for Ollie's head you knew he was gone. Losing talent hurts, but now that this move has been made I would say the quicker we lock up a competent coach the quicker we stem the tide. I believe losing Vance Jackson, who BTW would have helped this year's team tremendously (but I digress) started the avalanche of defections we saw last off season, someone leaving/decomitting was inevitable and painful once DB pulled the trigger, but hopefully a quick great new hire will mitigate the damage.

As an aside anyone willing to take a flyer on Pitino? I have no opinion either way just curious if anyone thinks that would be a good move. The upside is - strictly coaching wise outside of Calhoun, he is probably the best available/gettable coach out there.
Losing Jackson was like having a tumor removed. Better off.

Reaction Score
Now we need to go hard for Brandon Williams. No way he goes to Arizona, so it would be between Gonzaga, Oregon, UConn and Kansas. Also, TJ Moss is still out there too.

At the very least, does this help open up a spot to persuade Sherif Kenney with more playing time?

Who's going to go hard after them?

Reaction Score
So you suspect coach "Chill" is gone too?
All the coaches are gone the new coach would want his own people in there. Plus half the coaching staff we had weren’t good at all. Karl Hobbs was one of my favorites but left

Reaction Score
My call on the possible staff if Calhoun happens. Tom Moore, Howie Dickerman, Blaney's kid, and Donyell Marshall as his latest coach in training as his future replacement. BTW, momentum is picking up.

Reaction Score
My call on the possible staff if Calhoun happens. Tom Moore, Howie Dickerman, Blaney's kid, and Donyell Marshall as his latest coach in training as his future replacement. BTW, momentum is picking up.

I'd add Miller in there, but my guess would be he stays at St. Joe's for now.

Reaction Score

Maybe Enoch comes back with Pitino. :rolleyes:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Has Hurley been on anyone who could fill the ship?:oops:
Hurley was outcoached again by Marti, his team was outplayed again by a losing team and if not for St Joes losing their best player for the game, URIne would have been outside looking in and still only won by 3 to an undermanned and smaller team
Yeah, I'm convinced he is the savior

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks this doesn't hurt or affect us short term is nuts.
Agreed
Only an idiot would think so or think the loss is worth it
But I never thought if KO was to walk away the kid would have come to UConn - the family loved KO and the kid idolized him
For those who think it's not a big loss - just follow this kid - he can totally ball and is tough as nails

Reaction Score
I put calhoun coming back at less than 1% chance. This is a business and hes not right for it right now

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gilbert, Adams, Wilson are 3 who basically can't leave. Except for Adams and the pros overseas.

Everyone else might even relish the opportunity to have a redshirt year and develop.
Wilson, from what I hear, may not be a solid to stay
Gilbert might want to rehab and play closer to home
Adams probably has no real choice but to stay - that is good

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wilson, from what I hear, may not be a solid to stay
Gilbert might want to rehab and play closer to home
Adams probably has no real choice but to stay - that is good

I don’t buy those 2 sitting out again.

Reaction Score
Hurley was outcoached again by Marti, his team was outplayed again by a losing team and if not for St Joes losing their best player for the game, URIne would have been outside looking in and still only won by 3 to an undermanned and smaller team
Yeah, I'm convinced he is the savior
If Hurley is a disappointment and won't be the savior, what exactly was your guy KO?

Reaction Score
However, if I’m the guy taking this job, I try to keep Chill.
I'm O.K. with that but if that does happen the new coach needs to fill out the coaching staff with some people who are good at other things besides just recruiting. Because I suspect that the only thing Chillious does well is recruit. Just an educated guess on my part. I think the assistant coaching staff has other responsibilities that are also important to a program that was missing this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom