James Akinjo Decommits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Decommits

Reaction Score
Well whoever comes in won't have much more to with with than Ollie did. We'll see if talent it coaching really was the problem

Reaction Score
We have been depending on grad transfers far too much lately. The occasional transfer is okay but rather see us get kids we can take time to develop. Hopefully with a new coach we won't face all the negative recruiting that we've endured these past two or three years.
this is probably the best time to take a few grad transfers. generally I don't like taking them but we may not have a choice if we want to be competitive next year

Reaction Score
This was easier to see coming than Vance Jackson transferring last year. I think most of the fanbase knew this kid would never set foot in Storrs.

Reaction Score
this is probably the best time to take a few grad transfers. generally I don't like taking them but we may not have a choice if we want to be competitive next year
I’d prefer to see the coach take a huge freshman class like Calhoun did after the 05-06 season, and hope that half of them develop.

They’re not going to contend next year no matter what. It’s time to start building the program with a deep recruiting class.

Reaction Score
I think this is a point many are missing. Lesser player than Akinjo under competent coaching staff > Akinjo under Ollie.
We don't know who will be the coach but hopefully the new coach will reel him back in.

Reaction Score
I’d prefer to see the coach take a huge freshman class like Calhoun did after the 05-06 season, and hope that half of them develop.

They’re not going to contend next year no matter what. It’s time to start building the program with a deep recruiting class.
if we can grab some decommits and uncommited kids when coaches are fired that's the best case scenario. step 1 will be recruiting the players that are here that you want to keep. If Adams, Gilbert and Wilson all come back it will be a nice little core. I think next seasons recruiting will be the time to try and bring in a big class

Reaction Score
Losing him is a huge loss based upon the team makeup next season. Akinjo could have been a huge difference maker. Our only true PG is Gilbert and we know how shaky that is,.

Reaction Score
We don't know who will be the coach but hopefully the new coach will reel him back in.
Not likely, I'd bet that he already knows where he is going based upon his stock rising and it isn't UConn. He had an offer from Virginia.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Sid and Gilbert are going nowhere because they’d have to sit out another year and I doubt Adams is going anywhere because why would he want to sit one year and play one year when he has draft hopes and is already 22 turning 23. Those three are the only ones I feel good about being back for sure

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
What is this love affair with Hurley?
He's a local-ish guy who's turned around two programs in the past decade, raising both to new heights. He recruits the local area pretty well, his teams defend like hell, his players don't transfer, and he has a ton of UConn ties (Moore, Blaney, having Calhoun out to Kingston to talk to the team before each of the past two seasons). He's also been a head coach for almost 2 decades, and almost one decade at the college level despite his relative youth.

Remove his first, rebuilding year at Wagner and his first, rebuilding year at URI and his winning % is 66%, which is elite.

Would I take him over, say, Chris Mack? Probably not. But he's easily the best fit & resume of coaches who are potentially available.

Reaction Score
This was easier to see coming than Vance Jackson transferring last year. I think most of the fanbase knew this kid would never set foot in Storrs.
I assume you all noted that his tweet was at 11 AM EST this morning. Assuming he is in Calif, where it was 8 AM I don't think he was surprised at this announcement.

Reaction Score
He's a local-ish guy who's turned around two programs in the past decade, raising both to new heights. He recruits the local area pretty well, his teams defend like hell, his players don't transfer, and he has a ton of UConn ties (Moore, Blaney, having Calhoun out to Kingston to talk to the team before each of the past two seasons). He's also been a head coach for almost 2 decades, and almost one decade at the college level despite his relative youth.

Remove his first, rebuilding year at Wagner and his first, rebuilding year at URI and his winning % is 66%, which is elite.

Would I take him over, say, Chris Mack? Probably not. But he's easily the best fit & resume of coaches who are potentially available.
He’s a pretty damn good coach. The best in New England or the tri-state area. The only young guys that would tempt me more are Beard, Mack, and Keatts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The school will face a huge backlash if they don’t let him out.
But it happens. I think Martelli did this at least once, if not more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom