SG: Vital-Gilbert/Akinjo
SF: Polley-Mathews
PF: Wilson-Diarra
C: Carlton-Cobb

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

Those three can work their way onto the court and into the rotation with strong off-seasons.

How do we feel about that team?

Don’t sleep on Mathews - he is a Blaze recruit and they are different.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
38 minutes a game is an indication he is in pretty good shape
Absolutely agree, yet with the possible except of last night's game, have we seen 38 minutes of dominant play? That's what I was trying to say.

FWIW, it just seems like something hasn't been 100% right Adams this year. I'm not sure if it is injury, stamina or just the effect of being the principal target of other teams. I was hopeful that Gilbert at the point would give him more time off the ball this year, letting him conserve energy and work just to get to his spots. Obviously, we didn't get to see enough of that this year to know how much it will help him.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree, yet with the possible except of last night's game, have we seen 38 minutes of dominant play? That's what I was trying to say.

FWIW, it just seems like something hasn't been 100% right Adams this year. I'm not sure if it is injury, stamina or just the effect of being the principal target of other teams. I was hopeful that Gilbert at the point would give him more time off the ball this year, letting him conserve energy and work just to get to his spots. Obviously, we didn't get to see enough of that this year to know how much it will help him.
See, that's the thing, anyone can be on the court for 38 minutes. And any decent athlete can play full out for 19 and 75% for 19. He has NEVER been in good enough shape to play full out for 38 minutes. People mock the husky run results but our best conditioned competitors would never have allowed themselves to do that poorly. Pride, competitiveness, strength and conditioning!

Reaction Score
As for Jalen returning, if he doesn't go pro, he returns to UConn regardless of who is coach. He will be a senior and there is no way he chooses to sit a year versus playing next year at UConn. The ONLY wild card is if we get banned from the tournament next year.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's not bad news or good news. It's non-news because it is 100% meaningless.

I wouldnt say 100% but overall I agree, it’s not quite him saying “I’m baaaaack!”

Reaction Score
While it's a nice thought exercise, until we see what's happening with the coaching and subsequent player movement, it's kinda moot.

I'd switch up your lineups though.

PG: Adams-Gilbert/Akinjo
SG: Vital-Mathews-Adams
SF: Polley-Wilson
PF: Diarra-Williams
C: Carlton-Diarra/Williams

Bench:
Cobb
Whaley
Kisunas

The PG/SG sequence will change based on the competition and matchups. It is fun to look at different groups of 5 as there is a decent amount of versatility on the roster. I love having 3 ball handlers and the wing options that Wilson and hopefully Matthews provide. I wouldn't put Diarra in the C rotation and would move Cobb or Whaley into the C rotation depending on the situation.

But when I boil everything down, I really just want a year with 13 full scholarship players available and no serious injuries. UConn had 11 players available for most of this year with Gilbert and Wilson out, plus other injuries and suspensions (Larrier, Cobb). 2016 was brutal with just 11 scholarship players and Diarra, Gilbert and Larrier lost for the year, they were down to 8 players without even taking into account nagging injuries, and Durham coming off double ACL surgeries.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Don’t sleep on Mathews - he is a Blaze recruit and they are different.

Will blaze last through a coaching change is the question.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
People have said that before and it is crazy. Larrier is tall and the form on his jumpshot is good. He sucks at everything else.

But Adams probably won't be an NBA player either. He has an NBA level floater but there are so many other guards that are just better at everything else. To be an NBA PG you have to be one of the most skilled players in the world.

I'm curious how he's going to test out athletically as well.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Id have to assume Wilson will be the 3. Polley is better suited to play a stretch 4 IMO. Polley will get plenty of opportunity at the 3 as well.

I know it's tough to assume Gilbert will be back and healthy, but if he's on the roster and said to be recovering I'm counting him as in. Which means I think Adams will play off the ball a good amount.

I have to assume that Diarra's lack of playing time is because of foul trouble and his knees. When he's in there he shows some solid offensive IQ. He has some moves that look to be in control, and he's a high energy guy. Always cutting and moving to where driving guards can find him. Carlton does this well too.

I really hope we don't have a "mass exodus" I think these young guys can develop into solid players. If Gilbert is healthy, Vital is a perfect 6 man on a good team. His energy and scoring is great to have for a second unit.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

It's being the princpal target. He's supposed to be our best scorer and best distributor. All season long he hasn't had a consistent sidekick. Anderson can help handle the ball but can't shoot or drive. Vital is hot and cold. Larrier disappears for long periods, any of our decent bigs are young and inexperienced and to top that, for long periods of time this team had ZERO offensive framework to work within. Couple that with the fact that Jalen does a lot of things well but isn't great at anything. JA needs someone to take some of the pressure off of him: another guy who can snipe or drive and dish or a team that can set screens to get him free..anything...

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
My biggest hope is that right after the conference tournament, he’s either fired or announced that he’s coming back. Those days or weeks of playing wait and see will not be good for incoming players or current players thinking about their futures. Let’s know what direction we’re heading in quickly once the season ends

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wouldnt say 100% but overall I agree, it’s not quite him saying “I’m baaaaack!”
I meant meaningless in the sense of having zero predictive value. If you were handicapping the odds of him being here next season, I don't think what he said last night would move the needle at all in either direction.

Watching it was more telling to me than reading it. It was the functional equivalent of "I'm not thinking about that right now," and whatever other words he put around that were the imprecise ramblings of a kid who was just happy that he had a good game and was trying to say the right things. The fact that his passing reference to getting ready for the summer and "next season" has people slotting him in the lineup here next year is pretty comical to me, given not only our own history and present circumstances, but also just history generally.

I'd like to see it, but I'll wait until I do to believe it. Or at least until he says something more definitive, which I don't expect.

Reaction Score
As for Jalen returning, if he doesn't go pro, he returns to UConn regardless of who is coach. He will be a senior and there is no way he chooses to sit a year versus playing next year at UConn. The ONLY wild card is if we get banned from the tournament next year.
Unless a possible transfer rule change on the table goes in effect in off-season that allows a transfer without sitting a year if coach leaves or fired.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unless a possible transfer rule change on the table goes in effect in off-season that allows a transfer without sitting a year if coach leaves or fired.

I think if they institute the rule it won't be for the next immediate season. If they enact it this spring or summer it wouldn't take effect until the 19/20 season.

Reaction Score
Akinjo is a PG and will allow Jalen to play off the ball and fill in at PG much the way Ben Gordon was used. If Gilbert stays healthy all the better. It isn't likely that we will sign another guard at this late date.

Last night excluded, Jalen needs to improve his outside shooting if he wants play off the ball. He is most effective with the ball in his hands. If he can improve his 3 point shot, he plays in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Last night excluded, Jalen needs to improve his outside shooting if he wants play off the ball. He is most effective with the ball in his hands. If he can improve his 3 point shot, he plays in the NBA.
His shooting will improve if he gets the ball in better position and takes better shots. Right now he has the ball in his hands most of the time. I agree if he improves his shooting he has an NBA career. Returning next year was the correct choice.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
pls make him leave

I'm sure the nightmare of jalen adams is killing you while contemplating just how high of a seed you'll receive in the NCAA tournament this year.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I don't see Gilbert returning to the court.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If his ultimate goal is the NBA he absolutely needs to come back. Sure he could go make poverty level cash in the G League or Europe next season but once you go that route it is very very difficult to make it to the NBA. If he comes back and puts up 20/5/5 for us it really helps him out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hopefully he will be back. He's a talented player. I really hope that a new coach can motivate him to put in the work to become great. That would mean adding strength and stamina, and shooting hundreds of three point shots every day until the season starts. He should never play this many minutes again anyway.

As for lineups, we can't keep playing so small. Somebody suggested Polley as a 4? I don't see it. I definitely don't want to see it. Playing Larrier at the 4 was one of Ollie's biggest mistakes all year. Carlton and Diarra should start. Cobb, Whaley and Kisunas should be the subs. Two of those five need to be on the court at all times. Adams and probably Gilbert start at guard. The three spot is a competition between Vital, Wilson, Polley and Matthews, and should vary based on matchups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom