Jalen likely returning | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jalen likely returning

Reaction Score
Without any editorial comment good or bad, I think the chances are good that both Ollie and Jalen will be with the Huskies next year.

Reaction Score
I think it is much more likely that Ollie returns than most here believe.
fair enough. But if Ollie does return, the AD and school both couldn't be more clear on how they view basketball and its future going forward:

Reaction Score
Hopefully he will be back. He's a talented player. I really hope that a new coach can motivate him to put in the work to become great. That would mean adding strength and stamina, and shooting hundreds of three point shots every day until the season starts. He should never play this many minutes again anyway.

As for lineups, we can't keep playing so small. Somebody suggested Polley as a 4? I don't see it. I definitely don't want to see it. Playing Larrier at the 4 was one of Ollie's biggest mistakes all year. Carlton and Diarra should start. Cobb, Whaley and Kisunas should be the subs. Two of those five need to be on the court at all times. Adams and probably Gilbert start at guard. The three spot is a competition between Vital, Wilson, Polley and Matthews, and should vary based on matchups.

KO playing Larrier at the 4 was a problem because Larrier is soft, not because Larrier is short.

The only limitation to playing small with Polley and Wilson at the 3/4 is whether they're willing to rebound and are good enough players overall.

C

Chief00

He just dropped 18 points...with a broken wrist. I'm not kidding.

I keep telling the board these Blaze kids are different. Blaze uses an entirely different recruiting profile than has been used here in recent years. We are going to get players.

C

Chief00

What? Terry Larrier just declared himself a pro in basketball practice. I think this time around you can rely on Jalen committing to what he said.

The two may not be unrelated. I will just leave it at that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Chill staying is key.

I they can get Hurley or Oats plus keeping Chill....that could work.

Some guys may bounce, but both of them have 1-2 guys who could really help out this program on their recruits right now at their current schools.

C

Chief00

Id have to assume Wilson will be the 3. Polley is better suited to play a stretch 4 IMO. Polley will get plenty of opportunity at the 3 as well.

I know it's tough to assume Gilbert will be back and healthy, but if he's on the roster and said to be recovering I'm counting him as in. Which means I think Adams will play off the ball a good amount.

I have to assume that Diarra's lack of playing time is because of foul trouble and his knees. When he's in there he shows some solid offensive IQ. He has some moves that look to be in control, and he's a high energy guy. Always cutting and moving to where driving guards can find him. Carlton does this well too.

I really hope we don't have a "mass exodus" I think these young guys can develop into solid players. If Gilbert is healthy, Vital is a perfect 6 man on a good team. His energy and scoring is great to have for a second unit.

What about rebounding?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Great news, something I was expecting BUTT I thought D Ham coming back was a sure thing

Adams is legit, could leave our next legendary guard and then Gilbert will fill that roll

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chill staying is key.

I thought Chill makes really, really good assistant money and is associate head coach. Presumably that wouldn't be the case with a new HC. Wonder if he'd accept a mini demotion.

And why hasn't our fast food recruiting strategy focused on maniacal rebounders?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Why is this? Reinjury risk is near zero after this surgery and he has said he’s committed to UConn.

That's what was said last year to

Reaction Score
I keep telling the board these Blaze kids are different. Blaze uses an entirely different recruiting profile than has been used here in recent years. We are going to get players.

Sacreds = championships.
Senor Testiculo = championship.
Blaze = seasons burned to ashes. Stop.

Reaction Score
I believe it’s cuz you need some chill with that blaze my right kemosabe?

Reaction Score
fair enough. But if Ollie does return, the AD and school both couldn't be more clear on how they view basketball and its future going forward:

9tEa.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KO playing Larrier at the 4 was a problem because Larrier is soft, not because Larrier is short.

The only limitation to playing small with Polley and Wilson at the 3/4 is whether they're willing to rebound and are good enough players overall.

Yes. He’s actually taller than Polley and taller than Wilson. But none of the three of them have the frame or phyisicallity to play inside. Larrier was also timid in part because he was coming off an injury. All three of them should play at the 3, just not the four. Guys under 200 pounds should not play as power forwards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What about rebounding?

Chief gets it. Polley is not a stretch 4. Nor is Larrier. Al Horford is. Kevin Love is. Big guys who can step outside and hit a three, but who are also strong post players. Among college guys, Dedrick Lawson is that kind on player. A skinny, mid height shooter with no interior post game is a wing. Kinsunas, maybe, could become a stretch 4 if he learns how to shoot. Polley would need to add 60 pounds to be a legit PF. Cobb thinks he’s a stretch 4, and maybe he is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom