Jalen likely returning | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen likely returning

Reaction Score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this quote is about as non committal as it could be. Its March 1 and he is a junior. Outside of actually declaring, this is exactly what he is supposed to say.

True, though he could have left it far vaguer. Many kids in the past have said, "I'm going to finish out this season and then weigh my options," which would have had the BY in a frenzy. If we're reading between the lines here (it's the BY, of course we are), I think there's a very strong chance he comes back.

Reaction Score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this quote is about as non committal as it could be. Its March 1 and he is a junior. Outside of actually declaring, this is exactly what he is supposed to say.
What? Terry Larrier just declared himself a pro in basketball practice. I think this time around you can rely on Jalen committing to what he said.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What? Terry Larrier just declared himself a pro in basketball practice. I think this time around you can rely on Jalen committing to what he said.
The point is that he didn't commit to anything.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Really hoping to see Jalen back. He deserves to play on a decent squad.

One thing that is looming is the potential transfer rule change. If it passes players could transfer with no penalty after a coaching change. If Ollie is gone and he wouldn't have to sit a year that could potentially change his thinking. Guess we will have to see what happens.

Reaction Score
If Jalen comes back and averages 20/game he could challenge Chris Smith for the all-time scoring leader (would probably need a good run in March to do it).
Chris Smith scored 2145 points.

Adams so far has 1237. We can tack on an extra 40 for the remainder of this season, so let’s say he finished the year with 1277. He would then need 868 points to reach Smith. That would be 27.1 PPG in a 32 game season, or 24.1 PPG over 36 games.

Either way, I would assume Jalen will fall short of that mark. It would be cool to see him reach 2000 though.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He's absolutely going to declare and test the waters no matter what. There's a lot of valuable feedback to gain from that.

Absolutely.

He needs to.

It will give him a reality check about some of his deficiencies (such as decision making/forcing things and 3pt shooting) and get him ready to fix those for next year.

Reaction Score

Adams so far has 1237. We can tack on an extra 40 for the remainder of this season, so let’s say he finished the year with 1277. He would then need 868 points to reach Smith. That would be 27.1 PPG in a 32 game season, or 24.1 PPG over 36 games.

Either way, I would assume Jalen will fall short of that mark. It would be cool to see him reach 2000 though.
Yeah, my math assumed 40 games because we haven't had a championship in so long and we're due. ;)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I mean he said the right things, but Im fully conditioned to expect the unexpected with UConn these days.

In other words, Im inserting a cup for the impending kick in the groin.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
On paper that's a squad, but we've also said that 4 years running now and only have 1 NCAA tournament appearance to show for it.

And two years in a row now where the squad gets blown up by injury.

Reaction Score

Nice analysis, obviously UConnStats should be the one to do it. Can I get a tableau viz of his expected point output??? Just joking

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Didn't someone say Larrier is a better NBA prospect than Jalen? I can someone send me that post.

Reaction Score
If Jalen comes back and averages 20/game he could challenge Chris Smith for the all-time scoring leader (would probably need a good run in March to do it).
Bring back Smitty. That would solve our shooting problems.

Reaction Score
Didn't someone say Larrier is a better NBA prospect than Jalen? I can someone send me that post.
Larrier was the better prospect (going by mock drafts) when he was a high flying slasher who could shoot it a bit. The ACL tear has derailed his leaping ability (hopefully that’s temporary), so it’s hard to really judge it now.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Larrier was the better prospect (going by mock drafts) when he was a high flying slasher who could shoot it a bit. The ACL tear has derailed his leaping ability (hopefully that’s temporary), so it’s hard to really judge it now.

It's pretty simple to judge though... one person can dribble the other can't.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple to judge though... one person can dribble the other can't.
Small sample size, but Larrier looked a lot better last year and then lost a year of development. His handle is bad, but he wouldn’t be the only SF prospect with that trait. Right now, yes it’s a simple choice, Adams all day.

Reaction Score
Jalen needs to go to the Ray Allen School of Shotmaking this summer, and then with a point guard next year could be a revelation for him.

Reaction Score
Yes, I said it. Away from the Boneyard, most scouts would say the same thing. Hate to be brutally honest with you, but Jalen is not a NBA prospect. Has no shot at getting drafted this year, and maybe, but still highly unlikely, he would go mid to late second next year.

Reaction Score

People have said that before and it is crazy. Larrier is tall and the form on his jumpshot is good. He sucks at everything else.

But Adams probably won't be an NBA player either. He has an NBA level floater but there are so many other guards that are just better at everything else. To be an NBA PG you have to be one of the most skilled players in the world.

Reaction Score
Akinjo is a PG and will allow Jalen to play off the ball and fill in at PG much the way Ben Gordon was used. If Gilbert stays healthy all the better. It isn't likely that we will sign another guard at this late date.

Can't rely on AG being healthy or if he is, he will ever be back to his pre-injury form both physically and mentally. Absolutely need that extra guard and preferably a shooter to provide depth and scoring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom