Jalen likely returning | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen likely returning

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
His commitment to UConn is highly admirable. It's also a very wise decision on a personal level if he's hoping to be drafted - it would be highly unlikely in 2018, but with an improved roster next year, he'll have the opportunity to impress a lot of people. There's the age argument, but he'll only be a few months older than Shabazz was upon graduation.

Reaction Score
I am betting no one leaves besides Larrier and no one decommitts
I would like to see everyone stay actually. There’s a few I wouldn’t lose any sleep over if they left, but they’ve all shown flashes.

Matthews may have fewer options because of his broken wrist, but I’m operating under the assumption that we lose commits from he and Akinjo. Hard to convince kids to move to the opposite coast for a coach that never recruited them.

On the bright side, hypothetically if we were to hire Hurley, he has a very good recruiting class himself, and there would be no reason for any of them to stay with URI after he leaves. I love Jermaine Harris and Tyrese Martin is underrated much like Matthews.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not saying he might be declaring, but I won't celebrate until the declaration period is over. If he has a very good March with extended play, things could change. Unlikely (the extended play that is) but still . . . . . . . . . .

Its like I'm kinda hoping we don't 'go off' in March. First time ever feeling that way. but I love me some Jalen.

UConn could have a Top 5 back court in college basketball next year. All depends on Gilbert. If Jalen can associate himself with the right guys this summer and put in the work...he could leave a legend. Let’s hope.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not saying he might be declaring, but I won't celebrate until the declaration period is over. If he has a very good March with extended play, things could change. Unlikely (the extended play that is) but still . . . . . . . . . .

Its like I'm kinda hoping we don't 'go off' in March. First time ever feeling that way. but I love me some Jalen.

He's absolutely going to declare and test the waters no matter what. There's a lot of valuable feedback to gain from that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I feel like at least one decommits (maybe two) and probably three transfer.

If we have a new coach, it's gonna depend on how good of a sales job he can do.

Reaction Score
Without question. It's still a massive hole. And despite poster's various opinions of him, losing Larrier actually hurts us shooting-wise.
Yes. If there was a position for a guy to stand in one spot unguarded all game and never move. Then yes. We would need some more TNT Terry Larrier.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So early 2018 lineup projection:

PG: Adams-Gilbert/Akinjo
SG: Vital-Gilbert/Akinjo
SF: Polley-Mathews
PF: Wilson-Diarra
C: Carlton-Cobb

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

Those three can work their way onto the court and into the rotation with strong off-seasons.

How do we feel about that team?
Okay.

Jalen would have to dedicate himself to getting into NBA worthy shape.

We'd need this year's frosh especially Polley but at least one big to make a big ass sophomore jump.

And we'd need better coaching, as in a change of staff.

No guarantees, but certainly all possible.

Reaction Score
Smart decision for his future career. He desperately needs time with a quality coach, though, because another year of free-wheeling hero ball isn't going to develop the skills he needs... better shot selection, being under control, and dishing on penetration.

C

Chief00

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

Those three can work their way onto the court and into the rotation with strong off-seasons.

Maybe it’s just how Chief’s approach is to the game growing up. Stops, Bounds & Transition. I am a Calhoun type on his laser focus on rebounds. I love Sid but he is a skinny 6-4 but explosive. Need more Williams and Diarra in the equation. Carlton can become a big body located under the basket rebounder with his hands up. But you need that aggressive kick butt rebounder.
And yes we need to introduce guys to dedication in the weight room. There’s no way with the 20 year old male ego you can’t do that - a few comments to guys like Calhoun use to make that were honest and effective but perhaps not politically correct.

I like Jalen and see potential there - if we got some tough guys out there with him and Vital - I think it would help bring out the best in Jalen. I know he wants that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Okay.

Jalen would have to dedicate himself to getting into NBA worthy shape.

We'd need this year's frosh especially Polley but at least one big to make a big ass sophomore jump.

And we'd need better coaching, as in a change of staff.

No guarantees, but certainly all possible.
38 minutes a game is an indication he is in pretty good shape

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we need to temper the excitement. There’s still a game and the aac tourney left. He’s saying the politically correct thing, unlike Larrier, because his focus should be on 2018.

He said it himself, “as of now...”

Agreed. Watch the video of him saying it. He's just saying what he's supposed to say. It's meaningless until decision time; I don't think he knows what he's going to do yet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this quote is about as non committal as it could be. Its March 1 and he is a junior. Outside of actually declaring, this is exactly what he is supposed to say.
It's not bad news or good news. It's non-news because it is 100% meaningless.

Reaction Score

After that we have:

Whaley
Williams
Kisunas

On paper this group has potential.
I think Wilson is too small for PF.
I would also start either Gilbert or Akinjo at PG (assuming ready), move Adams to the SG and bring Vital off the bench.
Hoping that atleast 11 of these guys are still here come oct....

Reaction Score
I think Wilson will be an immediate impact and Carlton will make a major jump, possibly 11-12 ppg I think. It all depends if Jalen can understand when a shot isn't a shot and a pass isn't a pass. If he works on that this summer, maybe we can dream for the first time in a few years.

Reaction Score
On paper this group has potential.
I think Wilson is too small for PF.
I would also start either Gilbert or Akinjo at PG (assuming ready), move Adams to the SG and bring Vital off the bench.
Hoping that atleast 11 of these guys are still here come oct....
There is zero chance Vital is coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
If Jalen comes back and averages 20/game he could challenge Chris Smith for the all-time scoring leader (would probably need a good run in March to do it).

Reaction Score
We're still going to suck next year, but it's awesome that he's coming back. This is also great news if we do in fact replace KO. Hopefully, Jalen can hold down the fort and convince players/incoming recruits to stay on board. Really hope we get to see what this kid can do in a more imaginative offense next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom