Jalen Gaffney official visit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney official visit

Reaction Score
Would Jim Calhoun have?

He's been at Gonzaga for 29 years.

Maybe he'd want a new challenge, I don't know the man. But he's God-status there and has yet to win the big one. Think he'd want to do that first before leaving.
What does Calhoun have to do with it? Jim won 3 rings here, he didn't need to go anywhere. Mark hasn't won any. He'd have an easier path to his first at Duke than Gonzaga. More money, better players, bigger fanbase, ets. If his motivation involves any combination of money, titles, and legacy, it's a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
Man, I don’t want to defend Duke.

Duke is not UCLA, and Villanova can never be Duke I’ll just leave it at that.

Duke has less than half the titles of UCLA.

Reaction Score
I think Duke would look at Bobby before even thinking about Danny.

Yeah, the conference sucks, but Dan really is at the job he always wanted. Bobby at Duke? I certainly hope so.

But, uh, have fun on your visit, Jalen!

Reaction Score
What does Calhoun have to do with it? Jim won 3 rings here, he didn't need to go anywhere. Mark hasn't won any. He'd have an easier path to his first at Duke than Gonzaga. More money, better players, bigger fanbase, ets. If his motivation involves any combination of money, titles, and legacy, it's a no-brainer.

Your last sentence hits it on the head. Money and prestige don't seem to be as important to either as loyalty or being self-made. They have somewhat analogous career arcs. Building a program to a national powerhouse from not much. Both had opportunities to leave but didn't and stayed at the programs they built for 19+ years. Jim didn't win a title here until his 12th year, Mark at least has made a FF (title game at that). Jim turned down all offers, Few apparently made a list of 5 dream schools and had already turned down 2 8 years ago (Gonzaga coach Mark Few keeps saying no to big-time jobs).

Do you think if Jim hadn't won a title in UConn by 2005 he would have gone elsewhere to get it? Or do you think it would have made him LESS likely to go elsewhere? I'm thinking the latter.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Would Capel really have taken the Pitt job if K was retiring?

I don't think he'd get the Duke job. Especially after his last stop as HC. Associate HC, yes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Mark Few leave Zaga for Duke?

Few's a lifer at Gonzaga. His family and life is too embedded in that community. He's part of the fabric of the place at this point. He's said as much in the past iirc.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How did Duke become Duke? Did the Vic Bubas era make Duke?

Jay Wright has a chance to elevate Villanova the same way K elevated Duke.

Should Jay Wright go coach at UCLA? It's UCLA for god's sake! Walton! Alcindor! 11 National Titles!

How did UCONN become UCONN? It's gotta start somewhere.

Fact is, Duke is where it's at as far as media, pub, and fan support - Duke sells, straight up. Great location. Great academics on top. Recruits itself.

Reaction Score
Duke’s coaching Dam is going to break in the spring of 2020. #chiefcertified

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m betting on Gregg Marshall if Bobby Hurley isn’t fine enough for their tastes. Marshall has been at Witchita State, and has been masterful at finding under the radar talent. At Duke, he will be able to hand pick whatever players he wants, not to mention any staff. I’d be scared if Dan has great success early though, Duke is the one job you could see him leaving for.

Reaction Score
Your last sentence hits it on the head. Money and prestige don't seem to be as important to either as loyalty or being self-made. They have somewhat analogous career arcs. Building a program to a national powerhouse from not much. Both had opportunities to leave but didn't and stayed at the programs they built for 19+ years. Jim didn't win a title here until his 12th year, Mark at least has made a FF (title game at that). Jim turned down all offers, Few apparently made a list of 5 dream schools and had already turned down 2 8 years ago (Gonzaga coach Mark Few keeps saying no to big-time jobs).

Do you think if Jim hadn't won a title in UConn by 2005 he would have gone elsewhere to get it? Or do you think it would have made him LESS likely to go elsewhere? I'm thinking the latter.

I don't think Jim Calhoun is Mark Few, so I'm not sure why you think referencing what Jim would or wouldn't have done matters.

I get that you think he's a lifer at Gonazaga. But this is Duke we're talking about.

Reaction Score
Because Duke is Duke.

It pains me to say nice things about Duke; but Duke is an all time program with amazing history and great fan support.

No matter how many championships Villanova wins; they’ll always be a program that plays half their games in a half empty NBA arena far from campus in a city where they are 5th fiddle.

There is no way Jay Wright is Dukes next coach. Coach K is an impossible act to follow. After the next guy at Duke inevitably fails to live up to the Duke standard and gets fired, THEN Jay Wright will take that job.

You neve want to be the guy after THE guy

Reaction Score
Few's a lifer at Gonzaga. His family and life is too embedded in that community. He's part of the fabric of the place at this point. He's said as much in the past iirc.
Yeah I get it, but it's relatively easy to say that when it's Oregon or Texas are calling. When Duke opens up the checkbook, and your kids are grown and out of the house, and you still haven't won an NCAA championship, maybe priorities change. I'm not saying he'd definitely leave, but I think it's more likely than not.

C

Chief00

I read somewhere recently where Hurley said he'd like to sign 3 recruits in the fall. But now I can't find where I read that. Although I'm sure he'd take more recruits he was chasing if they were willing to sign in the fall.

Chief predicts 3-4 before Spring Semester.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Few is a shoo-in for HoF so he doesn't need to go to Duke to solidify that achievement
I feel he will coach at least 10 more years at Zaga and he will win a NC
I heard that Coach Hurley is not a Duke fan BUT if he doesn't win a NC at UConn and Duke comes calling - good chance he answers but I also think Bobby may get the call before Dan does
Jay Wright? nah - he's in a great place right now
One person I could see going to Duke - Tony Bennett of Virginia

Reaction Score
There is no way Jay Wright is Dukes next coach. Coach K is an impossible act to follow. After the next guy at Duke inevitably fails to live up to the Duke standard and gets fired, THEN Jay Wright will take that job.

You neve want to be the guy after THE guy

Jay Wright's car would leave fire tracks on the road from his car pealing out of the Villanova campus if he was offered the Duke job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom