Jalen Gaffney official visit | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney official visit

Reaction Score
Is the staff trying to get all or most of these kids committed before the season starts?
I read somewhere recently where Hurley said he'd like to sign 3 recruits in the fall. But now I can't find where I read that. Although I'm sure he'd take more recruits he was chasing if they were willing to sign in the fall.

Reaction Score
Would Capel really have taken the Pitt job if K was retiring?
Exactly. The only way IMO would be if he knew the Duke job wasn't going to him (i.e. if they were going external or were locked in on Wojo or Bobby Hurley).

My money would be that when it's time (and I doubt it'll be next year), they're going to hire outside of the program. Just seems safer, and I wouldn't want to hand the keys to the biggest program on earth to Wojo unless he shows out this year.

Reaction Score
He's not getting the Duke job.

Have to think he had a better shot when he was lead asst/recruiter than going 0-100 at Pitt in 1 year. Maybe his chances really were 0, but I honestly don't see a lot of other compelling options.

SBNation article earlier this summer had him as 2nd favorite:
The 5 most likely candidates to succeed Coach K at Duke

None of those options are inspiring. There also aren't a lot of good, established, successful coaches with enough success to merit Duke and who aren't ancient who I can see leaving their programs. Tony Bennett? Maybe? Jay Wright? Skeptical. I don't see Mark Few leaving Zaga. Beilein is 65. Sean Miller has crazy baggage. Gregg Marshall? Never been a recruiter.

The Macks/Holtmann/Archie's of the world haven't achieved enough. Maybe if one of them has a great year.

Is it Mike Brey? I just can't see them pulling a UConn and giving it to Jon Scheyer if it's really next year.

pj

Reaction Score
Have to think he had a better shot when he was lead asst/recruiter than going 0-100 at Pitt in 1 year. Maybe his chances really were 0, but I honestly don't see a lot of other compelling options.

None of those options are inspiring. There also aren't a lot of good, established, successful coaches with enough success to merit Duke and who aren't ancient who I can see leaving their programs. Tony Bennett? Maybe? Jay Wright? Skeptical. I don't see Mark Few leaving Zaga. Beilein is 65. Sean Miller has crazy baggage. Gregg Marshall? Never been a recruiter.

The Macks/Holtmann/Archie's of the world haven't achieved enough. Maybe if one of them has a great year.

Is it Mike Brey? I just can't see them pulling a UConn and giving it to Jon Scheyer if it's really next year.

If I were leading Duke I'd throw a ton of money at Jay Wright. Might not matter though. Gregg Marshall would be better than Capel, and he can have recruiters on his staff.

Reaction Score

Why wouldn't Mark Few leave Zaga for Duke?

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Mark Few leave Zaga for Duke?

Would Jim Calhoun have?

He's been at Gonzaga for 29 years.

Maybe he'd want a new challenge, I don't know the man. But he's God-status there and has yet to win the big one. Think he'd want to do that first before leaving.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I read somewhere recently where Hurley said he'd like to sign 3 recruits in the fall. But now I can't find where I read that. Although I'm sure he'd take more recruits he was chasing if they were willing to sign in the fall.

Common sense says that he would take five recruits before lunch today if he could.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Common sense says that he would take five recruits before lunch

Capel was not impressive at Oklahoma.

This is Duke we're talking about.

You know who's their next coach? Whoever they want.

If they wanted Jay Wright, they'd get Jay Wright.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

I’m 10000% here for Capel giving Pitt fans a glimmer of hope to get out of the ACC basement and then bolt back to Duke, but yeah...I can’t see him getting it. I think one of the selling points of the Pitt job was that he can claim to have ACC head coaching experience on his resume when K does leave, but I think it’s more likely that he saw the writing on the wall that he wasn’t going to be next in line.

I still don’t think they’ll go outside the family to replace K, but who knows. I think it’s Wojo’s to lose with Bobby as the backup/dark horse

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Duke will at least take a look at Danny Hurley.

*Stands back, watches world end*
Danny doesnt strike me as a guy who would bail on UConn after his first yr

Reaction Score
The statements attributed to Tom Moore were that the staff's objective was to sign 4 recruits in the early signing period

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Danny doesnt strike me as a guy who would bail on UConn after his first yr

I don't think K is retiring this year.

His ego will keep him in the game a while longer.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Duke will at least take a look at Danny Hurley.

*Stands back, watches world end*

Oof talk about a throat punch...

Reaction Score
You know who's their next coach? Whoever they want.

If they wanted Jay Wright, they'd get Jay Wright.

Agree to disagree. There is a universe where Wright thinks he's built Villanova and is fine there (although definitely leverages Duke to sign a godfather offer). He's won two titles. He's a local guy. Why does he need to go to Duke? I think he's more likely to eventually take an NBA job.

I do think him and Bennett would be the two they'd make runs at, and probably Wright first although I think he's the less likely of the 2 to say yes.

pj

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. There is a universe where Wright thinks he's built Villanova and is fine there (although definitely leverages Duke to sign a godfather offer). He's won two titles. He's a local guy. Why does he need to go to Duke?

So that he can win 8 titles in the next 16 years, and retire with an extra $75 million?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. There is a universe where Wright thinks he's built Villanova and is fine there (although definitely leverages Duke to sign a godfather offer). He's won two titles. He's a local guy. Why does he need to go to Duke?

I do think him and Bennett would be the two they'd make runs at, and probably Wright first although I think he's the less likely of the 2 to say yes.

Because Duke is Duke.

It pains me to say nice things about Duke; but Duke is an all time program with amazing history and great fan support.

No matter how many championships Villanova wins; they’ll always be a program that plays half their games in a half empty NBA arena far from campus in a city where they are 5th fiddle.

Reaction Score
Because Duke is Duke.

It pains me to say nice things about Duke; but Duke is an all time program with amazing history and great fan support.

No matter how many championships Villanova wins; they’ll always be a program that plays half their games in a half empty NBA arena far from campus in a city where they are 5th fiddle.

(Saying bad things about Villanova made me feel a lil better)

Reaction Score
So that he can win 8 titles in the next 16 years, and retire with an extra $75 million?
Because Duke is Duke.

How did Duke become Duke? Did the Vic Bubas era make Duke?

Jay Wright has a chance to elevate Villanova the same way K elevated Duke.

Should Jay Wright go coach at UCLA? It's UCLA for god's sake! Walton! Alcindor! 11 National Titles!

Reaction Score
How did Duke become Duke? Did the Vic Bubas era make Duke?

Jay Wright has a chance to elevate Villanova the same way K elevated Duke.

Should Jay Wright go coach at UCLA? It's UCLA for god's sake! Walton! Alcindor! 11 National Titles!

Man, I don’t want to defend Duke.

Duke is not UCLA, and Villanova can never be Duke I’ll just leave it at that.

Reaction Score
The statements attributed to Tom Moore were that the staff's objective was to sign 4 recruits in the early signing period
Yup, found it. Thanks.

UConn has five scholarships open for next season. The goal is to secure four players by the end of fall signing period, according to Moore.

The Huskies are looking to land both frontcourt and backcourt players.

"It's mostly across the board with the five of them," said Moore, referring to the available scholarships. "Sort of a Noah's Ark class, but only one of each instead of two each."

UConn men's basketball gearing up for July recruiting period

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom