David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yup. That is the issue unfortunately.

We have not even consistent but I think we ended in the top 10 in the KO era

Edit to say: I should have responded to Tenspro

pj

Reaction Score
He wants to become an NBA point guard and we've got 3 great point guard coaches. We should land him.

Reaction Score
From what I'm hearing we're in a really good place with this kid (as in currently in the lead). Wouldn't be surprised if he commits by the end of summer.
Who could give you concrete evidence like that

Reaction Score
From what I'm hearing we're in a really good place with this kid (as in currently in the lead). Wouldn't be surprised if he commits by the end of summer.

When you look at Adams leaving, and Anderson, the world is his oyster.

Adams is taking 35 minutes of playing time with him, and Anderson about 10 if not more.

Whichever guard grabs that spot first is going to be featured.

Reaction Score
Would be nice.....getting tired of looking at top 100 lists with N-western, Depaul, USC, etc commits and no UConn....forget the top 20 kids, let's start closing some deals on 30 - 99 already.

Reaction Score
Would be nice.....getting tired of looking at top 100 lists with N-western, Depaul, USC, etc commits and no UConn....forget the top 20 kids, let's start closing some deals on 30 - 99 already.

Yes, getting the commitment would be GREAT.

However, you also have to keep recruiting the kid and have to stay in close contact with him and attend games or he will be poached by another program. The HCKO regime has shown that they SOMETIMES miss this vital step. this was seemingly one of the big issues with the Makai Ashton Langford kid who was subsequently poached by PC. This of course then contributed to UCONN losing out on the other kid who then also committed to PC.

Any recruiting win with a a player of note is looooooong overdue and sorely needed at this point.

Reaction Score

Historically, even during the Calhoun eras, recruits would not be committed until September-November.

Only 2 of the 15 top 100 kids that UConn is/was after have committed so far (AJ Reeves to PC and Ian Steere to Creighton).

0 of the 6 in the 100-200 range have committed so far.

Altogether, 2 of the 21 in the top 200 have committed.

Reaction Score
Serious question, is this the same source from what you heard regarding Devon Daniels?

I'm not revealing my source, but let's just say I didn't have any insider info until late March of this year. For those of you who want to get on me about Devon Daniels...our staff was recruiting the hell out of the kid and thought they were serious contenders. Believe what and who you want, but my sources are as solid as can be.

Reaction Score
I'm not revealing my source, but let's just say I didn't have any insider info until late March of this year. For those of you who want to get on me about Devon Daniels...our staff was recruiting the hell out of the kid and thought they were serious contenders. Believe what and who you want, but my sources are as solid as can be.
Like I said, it was an honest question not a jab. Hope you're right, thanks for letting us in.

Reaction Score
Historically, even during the Calhoun eras, recruits would not be committed until September-November.

Only 2 of the 15 top 100 kids that UConn is/was after have committed so far (AJ Reeves to PC and Ian Steere to Creighton).

0 of the 6 in the 100-200 range have committed so far.

Altogether, 2 of the 21 in the top 200 have committed.
People really need to stop comparing the Calhoun years to right now. Even comparing Ollie's first couple of years to right now would be foolish.

Reaction Score
People really need to stop comparing the Calhoun years to right now. Even comparing Ollie's first couple of years to right now would be foolish.

?????

Did you read the post.

I said that EVEN in the Calhoun years, recruits were not committing to UConn until Sept.

In other words, unless you expected Ollie to have SURPASSED Calhoun's recruiting, it is not unusual to grab our first top 100 player in Sept. and beyond.

Reaction Score
?????

Did you read the post.

I said that EVEN in the Calhoun years, recruits were not committing to UConn until Sept.

In other words, unless you expected Ollie to have SURPASSED Calhoun's recruiting, it is not unusual to grab our first top 100 player in Sept. and beyond.
Of course I read the post I responded to. It's silly to compare what's going on now to the Calhoun years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you look at Adams leaving, and Anderson, the world is his oyster.

Adams is taking 35 minutes of playing time with him, and Anderson about 10 if not more.

Whichever guard grabs that spot first is going to be featured.

Incoming guards can look at our likely '18 roster with an optimistic approach of playing time (Adams and Anderson gone) or pessimistic of Gilbert and Vital as likely 4 year players locking down 2 guard spots.

Don't think this is an issue at all given our history playing two point guards, but I'm sure opposing coaches push the narrative.

Reaction Score
Of course I read the post I responded to. It's silly to compare what's going on now to the Calhoun years.

If that's the best you can do, you're not adding much.

It is very clear that I was saying in the BEST of times (Calhoun era) UConn was landing kids in September/October, so to say that not landing kids in midsummer is new is to believe that Ollie should have surpassed the Calhoun era at recruiting.

I'm dumbfounded that you could have read it any other way. But somehow you did.

pj

Reaction Score
Incoming guards can look at our likely '18 roster with an optimistic approach of playing time (Adams and Anderson gone) or pessimistic of Gilbert and Vital as likely 4 year players locking down 2 guard spots.

Don't think this is an issue at all given our history playing two point guards, but I'm sure opposing coaches push the narrative.

If Adams and Anderson are gone, there are only 2 guards on the roster. Schools generally have 5, and 3 play big minutes.

Moreover, if Larrier leaves, there is only 1 SF on the roster (Polley). Schools generally have 3. That means there's a high likelihood of 3 guard lineups, creating even more playing time for guards.

Reaction Score
If that's the best you can do, you're not adding much.

It is very clear that I was saying in the BEST of times (Calhoun era) UConn was landing kids in September/October, so to say that not landing kids in midsummer is new is to believe that Ollie should have surpassed the Calhoun era at recruiting.

I'm dumbfounded that you could have read it any other way. But somehow you did.
I know exactly what you said, don't know why you keep repeating it.

Reaction Score
Because your response had absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.
Of course it did. You responded to someone and brought up Calhoun even though that poster made a benign comment that had nothing to do Calhoun and us having no recruits now. I posted it's incredibly silly to compare what's going on now with recruiting to recruiting under Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I think I started this whole thing but I do agree with you in a way. Instead of framing it as the lowest rung players not being NBA caliber, I think there are a lot of guys outside the NBA who are NBA caliber. There are surely guys in the NBA who won't be lasting past their original contract but Shabazz was on a team who looked at him as a player with an expiring contract and decided to pick him up for 2 more season and thats why I don't think your initial comment was correct.

Ha...no it's all good, I inadvertently started it with a throwaway comment that ended up being more controversial than I anticipated. The last thing I was trying to do was needlessly criticize maybe my favorite Husky player of all-time. My only point was, yes we know Shabazz is in the NBA, yes we know how much it took to get him there, and yes we know about the extenuating circumstances that prevented Purvis, Calhoun, Hamilton, etc. from reaching their ceiling here. The masses don't. To the masses, Shabazz is a "wow I had no idea he was in the league" guy on twitter. Plays in a small market on the west coast, typically a DNP in the box score, probably wouldn't have seen first round cash without some weird stuff happening (though in a way this could have worked against him long-term).

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and with regards to Carey, Ryan Boatright might be as much a success story as any. There was talk - though nothing confirmed that I saw - that he was making seven figures in China. The dream is to play in the NBA, but I'll admit that I'm guilty of forgetting sometimes that it's a big world out there. Between Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright, and soon to be Adams, the outcomes for Ollie's lead guards have ranged from "NBA all-star in line for a nine figure payday" to "lucrative career playing the sport that I love with a degree from a great school to fall back on." There's a component of reliability there that few other programs can match, especially when programs like Syracuse have proven to be a messy fit for players like Kaleb Joseph.

Reaction Score
Of course it did. You responded to someone and brought up Calhoun even though that poster made a benign comment that had nothing to do Calhoun and us having no recruits now. I posted it's incredibly silly to compare what's going on now with recruiting to recruiting under Calhoun.

It is totally feeble minded for you not to understand that I was saying even at the height of UConn's recruiting, we weren't grabbing top 100s early. That is the basic point which you struggle mightily to understand. My post was an absolute acknowledgement that we are nowhere near the height of Calhoun's recruiting!!! How in the world do you fail to understand this? Ridiculous. As is your post.

Reaction Score
?????

Did you read the post.

You both made your points. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom