Jalen Carey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Arizona has Brandon Williams and is trending for Quinerly. Hopefully Carey values actually playing some lead guard.

Zona hasn't offered any other non committed shooting guards, so they are a huge threat otherwise.

Reaction Score
For a program that really hasn't done crap in 20 years, Arizona kills it on the recruiting trail.
It's easy to say that given our championship success, but Zona makes the tournament almost every year and they have won multiple regular/conference championships with a few Elite Eight appearances with Miller. They've been a clear cut top 10 program since his arrival in '09.

Reaction Score
He also made a big shot against Nova. Now try coming up with a third highlight.

You mean "follow in/tap in" right? All 5'8 of him with the rebound.

Reaction Score
It's easy to say that given our championship success, but Zona makes the tournament almost every year and they have won multiple regular/conference championships with a few Elite Eight appearances with Miller. They've been a clear cut top 10 program since his arrival in '09.
Fair enough. Just seems like only reaching 1 Final 4 since their 1997 title is a MASSIVE underachievement for them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I simply stated that there was a lot of evidence to suggest he is not an NBA caliber player. And there is. That doesn't mean there isn't a counter case.

But he's in the NBA.

That's not a counterargument as much as it's a nuclear missile landing on your idea and vaporizing it into a red mist.

He's in the NBA. The world is not flat. The sun does rise in the east.

These are settled issues.

Reaction Score
But he's in the NBA.

That's not a counterargument as much as it's a nuclear missile landing on your idea and vaporizing it into a red mist.

He's in the NBA. The world is not flat. The sun does rise in the east.

These are settled issues.

Come on. I'm pretty sure both you and @superjohn have said virtually the same thing in the past about guys who have played here not being UConn caliber. There are players in the NBA who aren't NBA caliber just like there are players at UConn who aren't UConn or AAC caliber. Unless you think the the market is perfect in its valuation of every single player or you choose to interpret what I'm saying in the most literal way possible, these statements shouldn't be too perplexing. It's hardly an original opinion - a source from the Heat was pretty much quoted verbatim as saying the same thing when they traded him.

The jury is still out on the earth being flat, last I checked. Hear it for yourself from this NASA caliber astronomer. Here are 10 ‘proofs’ that the Earth is actually flat, not round | Metro News

Reaction Score
Don't forget AJ Price and this guy Ollie also both crafted out long NBA careers for themselves as former UConn PGs.

Reaction Score
Come on. I'm pretty sure both you and @superjohn have said virtually the same thing in the past about guys who have played here not being UConn caliber. There are players in the NBA who aren't NBA caliber just like there are players at UConn who aren't UConn or AAC caliber. Unless you think the the market is perfect in its valuation of every single player or you choose to interpret what I'm saying in the most literal way possible, these statements shouldn't be too perplexing. It's hardly an original opinion - a source from the Heat was pretty much quoted verbatim as saying the same thing when they traded him.

The jury is still out on the earth being flat, last I checked. Hear it for yourself from this NASA caliber astronomer. Here are 10 ‘proofs’ that the Earth is actually flat, not round | Metro News

I think I started this whole thing but I do agree with you in a way. Instead of framing it as the lowest rung players not being NBA caliber, I think there are a lot of guys outside the NBA who are NBA caliber. There are surely guys in the NBA who won't be lasting past their original contract but Shabazz was on a team who looked at him as a player with an expiring contract and decided to pick him up for 2 more season and thats why I don't think your initial comment was correct.

Reaction Score
Honestly, college recruits remember guys that got drafted in the first round of the NBA draft and won a title: Shabazz did both. Jalen Carey knows who Shabazz is and wants to be in the same spot Bazz is or better.

We of course should be using any and all guards who were drafted in the first round of the NBA draft as selling points to Carey. That's Ollie's job. What a player does in the NBA is not an indictment of coaching, but of talent, desire, hunger, and ability. Our job as a a program is to win and get talented players like Jalen Carey drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. They are set for life once that happens and become recruiting selling points for the future. It's that simple.

Napier has been a fringe NBA player so far that part is true, but he improved this past year with Portland and if he keeps it up this year he will get another 3 year deal whether in Portland or somewhere as a backup in the NBA. Napier then should get his picture in the new practice facility.

#BAZZONEM

pj

Reaction Score
There are players in the NBA who aren't NBA caliber just like there are players at UConn who aren't UConn or AAC caliber.

But Shabazz isn't one of them.

Most of the players in the NBA who aren't NBA caliber, aren't NBA caliber yet, but the NBA brass believe in their future enough to give them a spot and help them develop. Shabazz was one of those guys his first few years in the league. Now he's a true NBA caliber player.

Reaction Score
Some good Carey news is that here is a lot of Noah Locke to Kansas talk, and they've also been favorites for Quentin Grimes. If those 2 choose Kansas, it would be hard to imagine a Carey having interest there anymore.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Let's define NBA caliber player. I'll start with when a player makes the league he spends a greater portion of the season in the show than in the G league for at least 2 consecutive years (injuries not included). We could go with minutes per game or some other metric but IMO if your on an NBA roster for two consecutive years your NBA caliber.

Reaction Score
We are close to NYC and have some presence there. Family can attend games easily. We are not out of it with him.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
He'll be bummed about his decision in about 6 months.
I think he's bummed already. Parents pushed him to stay in his own backyard. UConn is certainly close but not as close as in the City.

Reaction Score
I think he's bummed already. Parents pushed him to stay in his own backyard. UConn is certainly close but not as close as in the City.
Sid Wilson only has 1 living parent, Mom died.....maybe that played a part in staying in NYC...we'll never know & you have no idea if he is bummed not being at UConn.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Just seems like only reaching 1 Final 4 since their 1997 title is a MASSIVE underachievement for them.

And you can see how little that matters to kids.

Arizona is the premier program for an entire region of the country. They're almost always in the top 10, earning a high seed, and therefore relevant throughout the year.

We haven't been in that position once in the KO era.

Reaction Score
Ollie and company simply have to get guys like this or it's pretty much curtains. Boeheim has one foot in the grave and Rutgers is Rutgers. We have to be able to outrecruit them for our priority recruits. The script has to be flipped from the recent recruiting disasters.

Reaction Score
And you can see how little that matters to kids.

Arizona is the premier program for an entire region of the country. They're almost always in the top 10, earning a high seed, and therefore relevant throughout the year.

We haven't been in that position once in the KO era.

Yup. That is the issue unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22