Jalen Carey | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jalen Carey is a must get

I think James Akinjo commits to UConn first, in which case KO takes him. Which means Carey will default to the CUSE.
Its one of these.." you take your first pick and stick me with the second"

Reaction Score
I think James Akinjo commits to UConn first, in which case KO takes him. Which means Carey will default to the CUSE.
I really want Carey. Don't know much about Akinjo but Carey is the real deal and very underrated ranking wise.

Reaction Score
We need to get Carey, kid has the prototypical UConn guard game and he loves UConn. Time to close.

Quick Q&A With 6'3" 2018 Four-Star PG Jalen Carey Kansas UConn

Reaction Score
I like Carey's game. That kind of shooting touch is hard to develop. Easy to develop into a decent shooter, but very tough to take it to the next level. Carey has improved that part of his game since last year, so he's obviously been working hard for him.

He's kind of got the same knock as our own Jalen (Adams) did coming out of high school: he can't create for others. Jalen Adams obviously has learned to make passes; I think he was 15th in the country in assists, and first in the AAC last year. Adams is the kind of player who doesn't have the creative streak for passing like some other do, he needs a system to be a successful passer. I'm wondering if Jalen Carey is the same way. I would hope so!

Other than that, they're completely different players though. I think Adams has the better finishing ability (particularly going right), but is only really an average shooter. Actually, the difference between him being all-american and staying for a senior year may very well be his improvement on 3 point shooting off the dribble and making 1/4 of his layups left handed.

Reaction Score
We need to get Carey, kid has the prototypical UConn guard game and he loves UConn. Time to close.

Quick Q&A With 6'3" 2018 Four-Star PG Jalen Carey Kansas UConn

"I’ll start with UConn. My recruitment’s still open. Just to keep that out. I just tried to keep the schools that are recruiting me consistently. But UConn, they’ve been texting me, DK, Dwayne Killings, Kevin Ollie, they’ve been hitting me up tremendously. It’s been great."

Yeah, the staff hasn't been working hard at all. Maybe we've prioritized the kids we most want on the team. Hmm.

Love to hear that HE wanted to talk about UConn first, wasn't even lead by the reporter.

Also says that he hasn't even talked to Bill Self on the phone ( as of June 17), which is another good sign.

Reaction Score

KO knows about that type of a situation as well as anyone. Ask Travis Best!;)

Could happen, love to have a kid who wants to be a Husky so all good. But watching Carey its tough not to picture that National Flag Blue on him, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Sounds like I'm in the minority but not that concerned about Kansas in this one. Sure Self could turn up the recruiting efforts, but they are already in on so many good PGs. Besides Carey, Kansas is the crystal ball favorite (grain of salt) for Quentin Grimes (#21 player), Devon Dotson (#32), and Noah Locke (#76). They are also still in the running for Quinerly, Quickley and Garland who are all top 20 players. He seems to be our #1 overall target and I think that will resonate. Ollie hasn't had issues with regard to locking down our #1 target and PGs (besides the MAL disaster).

Reaction Score
2017-2018 Guards : Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, Antwoine Anderson.
2018 Possible Recruits: Jalen Carey, Montez Mathis (Top 3), Cam Reddish (Top 5 dream), James Akinjo

I hope JA has an amazing enough year where he gets drafted and leaves but what if that doesn't happen. What if Larrier ends up taking over the team and Jalen has a good year but not draft board year. Then we have 3 returning guards that would get PT over any of the new recruits. Even if he does get drafted we would have two returning with possibly landing one of these guys. Is it odd that we are going after this many guards with 2 starters already for 2018? Obviously the hope is we get everyone but what typically happens in this situation?

Then again we can miss on all four and Jalen can leave and we're screwed.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

Thats why I think best case scenario is we hope JA blows up, goes pro, and we bring in someone to replace him. This would help us continue to be successful right away and help future recruiting by showing that Ollie can get players to the league.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
2017-2018 Guards : Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, Antwoine Anderson.
2018 Possible Recruits: Jalen Carey, Montez Mathis (Top 3), Cam Reddish (Top 5 dream), James Akinjo

I hope JA has an amazing enough year where he gets drafted and leaves but what if that doesn't happen. What if Larrier ends up taking over the team and Jalen has a good year but not draft board year. Then we have 3 returning guards that would get PT over any of the new recruits. Even if he does get drafted we would have two returning with possibly landing one of these guys. Is it odd that we are going after this many guards with 2 starters already for 2018? Obviously the hope is we get everyone but what typically happens in this situation?

Lose:
G Anderson
F/C Onuorah
Open Scholarship

Maybe Adams
Maybe Larrier

Add:
G - Carey/Akinjo
SG - Mathis
W - Reddish/Mucius/Iggy
F - Shittu/Carrigan/Nate Roberts/Other??

Since we loaded up on forwards last class, we could probably sell out on Shittu and if we miss, we can rely on what we already have (especially since this 2018 class is pretty thin on big men). Staff has definitely laid the groundwork for a successful class.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing Iggy, is this even possible or is the interest one sided? I mean the kid has a wonderful game no doubt, would be a great get but not hearing much love our way.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing Iggy, is this even possible or is the interest one sided? I mean the kid has a wonderful game no doubt, would be a great get but not hearing much love our way.
He's showed us no less love than he's shown anyone else. He hasn't gushed about anybody

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Iggy's a very intelligent, guarded kid. He's being very methodical about the process.

Reaction Score

If Larrier has a real good year so will Jalen I would think hand in hand. Terry will be riding the guard play often with kick outs and cutting to the basket so I hope he does have a take over year.

Jalen is really good and I expect if he can mirror his jump from frosh to soph this year it will be special. I expect better decisions, more space because of Alterique and the other guards/Terry for him to roam. I expect he will be a nightly target for NBA scouts, but it is up to his maturity on the court as to where he would go in the draft, no guarantees or guesses here as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom