Jalen Carey Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His Dad sure had a quick change of heart
I'm not sure why one would say the family feels "slighted"; UConn offers the players they want and recruit, but it's Akinjo who knew as early as he did that he wanted and chose UConn. UConn has no control over who and when someone commits.

Which is odd that we see this change from the dad. Were we just not pandering to their hopes like other programs may? Does KO feel less inclined than do others to lend credence to the unrealistic expectations of recruits and their families? If that's why we see this change, it's either some petty crap from that camp, or the kid is shy of competition. Pass on either.

Reaction Score
No they aren't. Please don't talk out of your butt, it wastes everyone's time.

Agreed...that was dumb. Our own Ben Gordon was on that list! Over 6'3"??? . 6'2" on a good day.

Reaction Score
Imagine, bear with me now cuz it's gonna get crazy, but imagine a world where the KID makes the decision, not the DAD.
I disagree 17 and 18 year old kids should talk with their parents over decisions this big. At 22 and 30 and 35 and at 40 and 52. U should make his own decision

Reaction Score
I disagree 17 and 18 year old kids should talk with their parents over decisions this big. At 22 and 30 and 35 and at 40 and 52. U should make his own decision
That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying the Dad shouldn't make the decision, he should help, but he shouldn't push his preference.

Reaction Score
It is not necessarily "I want, I want", it is coaches like Boehiem telling him he can run the team and be in the NBA in 2 years. That sways a 17 year old and sometimes his parents. This is not "turning on" Jalen Carey at all. It is just trying to see through the eyes of a 17 year old with NBA aspirations. Hopefully Ollie can sell him on the incredible value to learning to play and practice against a tough man-to-man defense. That is a huge part of what will keep a 6'2" guard in the NBA.
So you want to play PG in the NBA? You want to guard Curry, CP, Lillard, Wall, etc.? And you're gonna learn to do that at Syracuse?

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, though, the PT is here for him. Once upon a time MAL was going to come here behind Adams, Gilbert and Vital. Guess it is just up to Jalen and his Father to see the opportunity and trust KO

Reaction Score
It is not necessarily "I want, I want", it is coaches like Boehiem telling him he can run the team and be in the NBA in 2 years. That sways a 17 year old and sometimes his parents. This is not "turning on" Jalen Carey at all. It is just trying to see through the eyes of a 17 year old with NBA aspirations. Hopefully Ollie can sell him on the incredible value to learning to play and practice against a tough man-to-man defense. That is a huge part of what will keep a 6'2" guard in the NBA.

Exactly. And if we could get guys in the offseason like Kemba, and Lamb to come and play with our guards it would help alot. Ollie has connections too, our gaurds should get some time with alot of NBA players to help them see where they stand and wha they need to work on. Its being realistic with the kids and helping them achieve what they want. Any player can declare for the NBA draft, but are they ready? Will they succeed. I think at Uconn he'll be the best prepared that he can be when the other option is Cuse. Iron sharpens Iron right? Cant get sharper if there isn't any other Iron.

Reaction Score
he would start at uconn with gilbert

Carey? I'm not so sure. I'd easily take a junior Christian Vital over freshman Carey. At best, as a freshman he'd be first guard off the bench, maybe even second if Adams returns for senior year.

Reaction Score
Carey? I'm not so sure. I'd easily take a junior Christian Vital over freshman Carey. At best, as a freshman he'd be first guard off the bench, maybe even second if Adams returns for senior year.
Not trying to send this in to a tangent but Jalen better not be here next year for everyone's sakes. For him, he shouldn't feel great about hitting the draft at 22.

The program can't have a borderline 4/5 star talent stuck here 4 years; not in the current NCAA climate. People will use that as a primary go against the program developing players for he NBA, or at the least against KO for utilizing/showcasing talent effectively: look how long it took them to get Jalen Adams in to the draft!

And then, of course, the PT issue

Reaction Score
Not trying to send this in to a tangent but Jalen better not be here next year for everyone's sakes. For him, he shouldn't feel great about hitting the draft at 22.

The program can't have a borderline 4/5 star talent stuck here 4 years; not in the current NCAA climate. People will use that as a primary go against the program developing players for he NBA, or at the least against KO for utilizing/showcasing talent effectively: look how long it took them to get Jalen Adams in to the draft!

And then, of course, the PT issue
Completely agree. Kemba took the three year route to the NBA, and he also had a little less size than Adams. Definitely would be better for the program to have Adams drafted round 1 after this season than hang around considering our current lull in NBA talent. A lot of people forget that he was projected as a 1st rounder before last season. Figure the dismal year probably lost him some attention this year though.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why one would say the family feels "slighted"; UConn offers the players they want and recruit, but it's Akinjo who knew as early as he did that he wanted and chose UConn. UConn has no control over who and when someone commits.
No, but they have absolute control over when or whether they accept the commit at any given time. Telling guys to wait has hurt us recently. I like the bird in the hand theory we apparently took with Akinjo.

Reaction Score
No, but they have absolute control over when or whether they accept the commit at any given time. Telling guys to wait has hurt us recently. I like the bird in the hand theory we apparently took with Akinjo.
The school does have control whether they accept a commitment. Refuse a commitment and they will lose the player.
I like Akinjo better than Carey from the little I've seen.

Reaction Score
The school does have control whether they accept a commitment. Refuse a commitment and they will lose the player.
I like Akinjo better than Carey from the little I've seen.
The thing is Carey and Akinjo are really complimentary players. There is no reason to chose one over the other and no reason why either one should feel intimidated from a minutes perspective of the other being on the team.

Reaction Score
The thing is Carey and Akinjo are really complimentary players. There is no reason to chose one over the other and no reason why either one should feel intimidated from a minutes perspective of the other being on the team.
Agree that they are complimentary but disagree on the minutes. AG/Vital/Akinjo (AG and Vital likely ~30 mpg) are all likely 4 year players who will eat up a lot of minutes so it's very easy to see why Carey might not think we are a good spot for him anymore. That isn't even taking into account the fact that JA could potentially stay, even though it looks unlikely. Carey could still happen, but it would take quite the sell job from KO and the team.

Reaction Score

There's only one ball. For all the talk of Jalen being a combo guard, he'd be an NBA PG (0.5in above average NBA PG height and 2 inches under average SG height). Why would he want to play off ball or share the ball with 2 other PGs on roster if his goal is to develop into an NBA PG?

Reaction Score

I ask my parents for advice all the time and I'm 44. The big thing is, for the last 10-15 years, they ask for my advice more than I ask for theirs. I can assure you, at 22 years old, I was taking all the advice they'd give me. At 30/35, I was taking a lot of it. I am fortunate to have them around to give it at 44 and hopefully they'll still be here when I'm 52.

Kids should get guidance from their parents. The problem is some of these kids' parents are idiots. Unfortunately, it can be hard for the kids to see that until they are much older.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Are you saying members of The Boneyard are kids?

It will come down to how Jalen (and maybe his dad) wants to be utilized. UConn, as stated by dad's tweet, is recruiting Jalen as a combo guard. He would get lot's of playing time in that role. Akinjo does not change this . If he wants to be the teams pg, whether or not he's suited for this position, Syracuse affords him the best opportunity.

I'm happy the staff has a vision and are clear with their vision. If Jalen disagrees, that doesn't make him a bad kid. It's his life and he has to determine how to handle it.

Agreed. If one is certain what they want and it doesn't fit the vision of the staff that person would not fit well and it would be in everyone's best interest to go elsewhere. We just went through a bit of that last season with some players. KO knows best. I am sure that the staff's vision is very clear. Hopefully the young man will consider the whole picture but if he has been handed the PG position oh well, best of luck to him.

Reaction Score
I ask my parents for advice all the time and I'm 44. The big thing is, for the last 10-15 years, they ask for my advice more than I ask for theirs. I can assure you, at 22 years old, I was taking all the advice they'd give me. At 30/35, I was taking a lot of it. I am fortunate to have them around to give it at 44 and hopefully they'll still be here when I'm 52.

Kids should get guidance from their parents. The problem is some of these kids' parents are idiots. Unfortunately, it can be hard for the kids to see that until they are much older.

I agree with you. I was trying to say to the original poster that parents should be involved

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I was trying to say to the original poster that parents should be involved

Hearing anything on Carey? Wasn't the in-home today?

edit: Just checked. It's tomorrow. Must be after school ends.

Ollie is at that coaching conference at his school tomorrow. I'm not going to creep on the kid, but I'll wear my UConn shirt and try to sit in the front row ;)

Reaction Score

Ollie is at that coaching conference at his school tomorrow. I'm not going to creep on the kid, but I'll wear my UConn shirt and try to sit in the front row ;)

Heard the visit is on. Cuse leads but we are better then this board thinks

Reaction Score

If you really want to have an impact go buy a bunch of UConn Tees and hand them out to everyone attending.:cool:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Recruiting is a numbers game
Every team has a certain number of openings and have needs at certain positions
UConn needed a guard and Akinjo happened to make a pro UConn decision first - KO likes the kid so he took him
IF KO wanted Carey more, he would have rolled the dice and put off Akinjo (not that I would have taken that chance)
Carey now may be stuck with the Cuse and that "ready yourself for the NBA" zone
He and his father only have themselves to blame if they look back next March and wonder what could have been.
If he doesn't want to come here and fight for minutes - adios and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out
Believe me, I would like Carey to commit to UConn but I sense he wants to have a job given to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom