Jalen Carey Update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think all of this pure PG stuff and off-ball stuff is not applicable here. I wouldn't go so far to say it's positionless basketball, but I'd break it down more like this, ball-handlers/creators, wings, and bigs. Carey is a ball handler/creator with the ability to also play wing. The way the offense works, to me, would be sometimes AG would initiate the offense. Sometimes it will be Akinjo. Sometimes it would be Carey. I think, esp with KW in the mix, all of these guys will be able to show off/work on their pick and roll game. This HAS to be thought about since NBA is a lot of pick and roll. I would think a role like this would be very enticing for Carey. He'd be able to show off both guard qualities he has and wants to work on. Not just pigeon hole himself as a more traditional PG.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
He is not a wing, and will play point guard in the NBA. Writing is on the wall here.

We took the first available which I am okay with, too many times in the past we have waited on guys and whiffed. We cannot do that anymore.
He would be playing some wing for us...just because KO's offense would dictate it. He'd be able to showcase his spot up shot making instead of just driving and dishing.

Reaction Score
He would be playing some wing for us...just because KO's offense would dictate it. He'd be able to showcase his spot up shot making instead of just driving and dishing.
I dont get what is so hard about this. Bazz and Boat will be Akinjo and Carey. Did that mean people expected Boat to be a wing in the pros? Of course not, everyone knew they were both point guards.

Reaction Score
He is not a wing, and will play point guard in the NBA. Writing is on the wall here.

We took the first available which I am okay with, too many times in the past we have waited on guys and whiffed. We cannot do that anymore.
He's not a point guard, so he won't be playing point guard in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I may be paranoid/jaded after this offseason of transfers, but I have an uneasy feeling about KO convincing him to step into our system. If the concern about development/PT is already in his head, I'm sure we can suppress it, but doubt we can completely eradicate it.

Given how quick these kids are to pull the transfer trigger, and how little writing may be on the wall (e.g., Vance Jackson transferring out of the blue, after significant PT and development during his freshman year), I just don't know if its for the best to convince someone to come here if they're openly having doubts. In contrast, a guy like Akinjo gives me no concern because he exudes a desire to be at UConn.

I still want the kid, but hoping it's because he wants to buy into the system (rather than because he is willing to give it a shot)

Reaction Score
Not too interested in players who already envision themselves early in the NBA at a position they are not particularly suited for.
Too much "I want I want I want I want" doesn't blend well with a team of huskies.
View attachment 24854

It is not necessarily "I want, I want", it is coaches like Boehiem telling him he can run the team and be in the NBA in 2 years. That sways a 17 year old and sometimes his parents. This is not "turning on" Jalen Carey at all. It is just trying to see through the eyes of a 17 year old with NBA aspirations. Hopefully Ollie can sell him on the incredible value to learning to play and practice against a tough man-to-man defense. That is a huge part of what will keep a 6'2" guard in the NBA.

Reaction Score
He's not a point guard, so he won't be playing point guard in the NBA.

What will he be in the NBA? A 6'3 shooting guard? He has to run point in college because that's what his position will have to be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
What will he be in the NBA? A 6'3 shooting guard? He has to run point in college because that's what his position will have to be in the NBA.
He may not be in the NBA. He'll make a nice 6-3 scoring guard in Greece though.

Reaction Score
I may be paranoid/jaded after this offseason of transfers, but I have an uneasy feeling about KO convincing him to step into our system. If the concern about development/PT is already in his head, I'm sure we can suppress it, but doubt we can completely eradicate it.

Given how quick these kids are to pull the transfer trigger, and how little writing may be on the wall (e.g., Vance Jackson transferring out of the blue, after significant PT and development during his freshman year), I just don't know if its for the best to convince someone to come here if they're openly having doubts. In contrast, a guy like Akinjo gives me no concern because he exudes a desire to be at UConn.

I still want the kid, but hoping it's because he wants to buy into the system (rather than because he is willing to give it a shot)

I see that you are new here. But if you were here during last season, you would know that VJ transferring was not out of the blue. He had 1 foot out the door in November/December.

Reaction Score
We are not out but he wants to start and uconn could have many more guards then cuse. Also heard dad likes acc much more then the aac
Imagine, bear with me now cuz it's gonna get crazy, but imagine a world where the KID makes the decision, not the DAD.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the kid is going to have the ball in his hands a lot regardless if he's a 1 or 2. Happened with Bazz and Boat, it'll happen this year with Gilbert and Adams, it'll happen next year with Gilbert and Akinjo/ Adams/Carey/Nembhard/etc. We will also be running a lot of 3 guard lineups which will give more of them playing time and touches

Reaction Score
We are selling him on the NBA in 2 years.

Part of the NBA evaluation is the ability to defend. Plenty of teams pair undersized SG with taller PG and switch on defense. Not sure he will be impressing GM's by shuffling around the top of a zone doing jumping jacks.

Reaction Score
There is this fallacy that there are no smallish shooting guards in the NBA. Off the top of my head you have Cj McCollum, Bradley Beal, Gary Harris, Eric Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly, Avery Bradley, Devin Harris, E'Twaun Moore, Jerian Grant, Ben Gordon, Denzel Valentine, Ron Baker, Malik Monk, Donovan Mitchell, Tony Delk, Troy Daniels, Monte Ellis. The league is full of scoring guards who are Jalen Carey's height. Then there are guys like Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, and Earl Boykins who easily found a role and are much smaller than Carey.

Reaction Score
We are not out but he wants to start and uconn could have many more guards then cuse. Also heard dad likes acc much more then the aac

If he picks Cuse over UConn because he wants to start right away, let him. I'll take a guy like Akinjo all day. Someone who wants to be here and knows he might not start his first year.

Reaction Score
There is this fallacy that there are no smallish shooting guards in the NBA. Off the top of my head you have Cj McCollum, Bradley Beal, Gary Harris, Eric Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly, Avery Bradley, Devin Harris, E'Twaun Moore, Jerian Grant, Ben Gordon, Denzel Valentine, Ron Baker, Malik Monk, Donovan Mitchell, Tony Delk, Troy Daniels, Monte Ellis. The league is full of scoring guards who are Jalen Carey's height. Then there are guys like Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, and Earl Boykins who easily found a role and are much smaller than Carey.

Those are all over 6'3 except for maybe baker...

Reaction Score
No they aren't. Please don't talk out of your butt, it wastes everyone's time.

I agree, while height can be fudged, at least Brad Beal and CJ McCollum -- two of the top 5ish SGs in the Association are only 6'3"-6'4" and Jalen is still in HS, so he may still pick up an inch or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom