Jalen Carey Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of assumptions here because of a three letter reply to a tweet... he came on an official visit, were definitely not out of it completely. Kids minds are not normal, who knows what hes thinking
Yeah, I'm not sure I even understand the original tweet. If the in-home visit scheduled for tomorrow gets cancelled, then people can start writing this one off.

Reaction Score
Even though it's "ben" a while (get it lol?), we need to sell him on a Ben Gordon type of role. Off the ball but can play the point when necessary; the more he improves his ballhandling/playmaking while he's here, the more point he'd play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lots of assumptions here because of a three letter reply to a tweet... he came on an official visit, were definitely not out of it completely. Kids minds are not normal, who knows what hes thinking
Are you saying members of The Boneyard are kids?

It will come down to how Jalen (and maybe his dad) wants to be utilized. UConn, as stated by dad's tweet, is recruiting Jalen as a combo guard. He would get lot's of playing time in that role. Akinjo does not change this . If he wants to be the teams pg, whether or not he's suited for this position, Syracuse affords him the best opportunity.

I'm happy the staff has a vision and are clear with their vision. If Jalen disagrees, that doesn't make him a bad kid. It's his life and he has to determine how to handle it.

Reaction Score
I thought i read he was doing in-home visits this week. Miami on Wed, Cuse on Thurs, and Uconn tomorrow. Would seem to be that this deal isn't done and even if the dynamics changed post Akinjo, Ollie & Co have one more chance--and the last in-home--to convince him.

To me, this is Sales 101. Going last would seem to be an advantage for us and while perhaps it is a lost cause due to playing time or position, let the ex-NBA guy have a crack at sealing the deal.

I can see this one going either way, but hard for me to think that we don't have an opportunity. Good luck KO.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Love that we have the last in home visit... however he did say he wanted to commit in October. There is still lots of time.

Reaction Score
Carey is no PG and even Boeheim isn't dumb enough to play him there for major minutes. Carey needs to wake up and watch his own videos.
We got the guard we wanted and I'm not disappointed about Carey committing to Cuse if that is where lands. We'll find a shooter.

Reaction Score
Are you saying members of The Boneyard are kids?

It will come down to how Jalen (and maybe his dad) wants to be utilized. UConn, as stated by dad's tweet, is recruiting Jalen as a combo guard. He would get lot's of playing time in that role. Akinjo does not change this . If he wants to be the teams pg, whether or not he's suited for this position, Syracuse affords him the best opportunity.

I'm happy the staff has a vision and are clear with their vision. If Jalen disagrees, that doesn't make him a bad kid. It's his life and he has to determine how to handle it.

The way some of yall stalk on social media, i hope theyre kids! Definitely bunches of uconn students on here. That constitutes kids to me

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The way some of yall stalk on social media, i hope theyre kids! Definitely bunches of uconn students on here. That constitutes kids to me
It was a tongue in cheek statement meant to laugh at ourselves.

Reaction Score
UConn's guard package for 2018 (assuming Jalen goes to NBA) is 2 true PGs (RS Soph and true Fr) and a true Jr. combo/SG in Vital. Fans have to accept that Akinjo and Gilbert at PG are going to be a detriment to recruiting another high level true PG until 2019/2020. Ollie is pounding sand in trying to convince Carey or any other 4*player who sees himself as a pure PG to commit to UConn for 2018. Lets face it, at 6'2" Carey needs to get as much experience as a true PG to chase NBA dreams as there are not many 6'2" SGs in the NBA. Ollie and staff probably knew this when they brought in Carey before Akinjo as they were hoping for a Carey commit.

We experienced the major injury to AG and nagging injuries to Jalen and want as much depth as possible, but a high level PG recruit is not going to gamble on playing time. The playing time is at SG and it should be the focus of the staff along with another big guy. UConn needs a 6'4+ SG who can play some defense against bigger guards and hit the kick out 3. If he has a decent handle that is a bonus, but he can't have a vision of being a PG. Matthews fills that role, but did UConn get in too late. The OV to WV concerns me and obviously concerns the staff as they started chasing Nunez from Thomas More. However, the Matthews/Nunez type player is what is needed.

Reaction Score
UConn's guard package for 2018 (assuming Jalen goes to NBA) is 2 true PGs (RS Soph and true Fr) and a true Jr. combo/SG in Vital. Fans have to accept that Akinjo and Gilbert at PG are going to be a detriment to recruiting another high level true PG until 2019/2020. Ollie is pounding sand in trying to convince Carey or any other 4*player who sees himself as a pure PG to commit to UConn for 2018. Lets face it, at 6'2" Carey needs to get as much experience as a true PG to chase NBA dreams as there are not many 6'2" SGs in the NBA. Ollie and staff probably knew this when they brought in Carey before Akinjo as they were hoping for a Carey commit.

We experienced the major injury to AG and nagging injuries to Jalen and want as much depth as possible, but a high level PG recruit is not going to gamble on playing time. The playing time is at SG and it should be the focus of the staff along with another big guy. UConn needs a 6'4+ SG who can play some defense against bigger guards and hit the kick out 3. If he has a decent handle that is a bonus, but he can't have a vision of being a PG. Matthews fills that role, but did UConn get in too late. The OV to WV concerns me and obviously concerns the staff as they started chasing Nunez from Thomas More. However, the Matthews/Nunez type player is what is needed.

Agree with all of this, poop emoji. There aren't going to be a lot of minutes available at lead guard in 18-19. I'm sure if Carey came here they would let me occasionally run the offense, but his main role would be playing off ball. I'd love him here in that role. But if he doesn't see himself there, then so be it.

Really agree that we need an off-ball guard with some length in the situation that both Carey and Nembhard decide it's not for them. One guy I'd love to see us go in for is Keyontae Johnson. I think we offered him but I don't know if there's been any more traction beyond that. He's 6'5" and listed as a small forward by a lot of places, but he's an above average shooter and a exceptionally versatile defender. Not too sure about his handle, but at 6'5", he'd need a guard's dribbling skills to have a prayer of playing at the next level.

pj

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree, guys like Carey and Nembhard can score and I don't think we'd be lacking for offense playing them alongside Akinjo or Gilbert. (or all three together in a small lineup). Would love to reel in Matthews but would like Nembhard or Carey even more.

Reaction Score
Really agree that we need an off-ball guard with some length in the situation that both Carey and Nembhard decide it's not for them. One guy I'd love to see us go in for is Keyontae Johnson. I think we offered him but I don't know if there's been any more traction beyond that. He's 6'5" and listed as a small forward by a lot of places, but he's an above average shooter and a exceptionally versatile defender. Not too sure about his handle, but at 6'5", he'd need a guard's dribbling skills to have a prayer of playing at the next level.
Johnson shot 28.6% from 3 and 72% FT for Boo Williams. He's not a shooter. Great defender and rebounder for his position though.

I definitely see him as more of a 3, as he's got a big frame and his handle isn't great for a 2. But he shoots an insanely high percentage inside the arc and stealing him away from PC, SMU, and Wichita St would be nice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree, guys like Carey and Nembhard can score and I don't think we'd be lacking for offense playing them alongside Akinjo or Gilbert. (or all three together in a small lineup). Would love to reel in Matthews but would like Nembhard or Carey even more.
It is not a matter of Uconn lacking in offense with Carey or Nembhard alongside Akinjo or Gilbert. It is the fact that Carey and Nembhard seemingly have no interest in playing a combo/SG role.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If he doesn't really want to be here then it wasn't meant to be and if that's the case, I don't want him here.
We had a few of those guys as freshmen last year
NEXT
Not too interested in players who already envision themselves early in the NBA at a position they are not particularly suited for.
Too much "I want I want I want I want" doesn't blend well with a team of huskies.
upload_2017-9-14_11-37-0.jpeg

pj

Reaction Score
It is not a matter of Uconn lacking in offense with Carey or Nembhard alongside Akinjo or Gilbert. It is the fact that Carey and Nembhard seemingly have no interest in playing a combo/SG role.

They have to be interested in "positionless basketball." If they truly want to be "the" point guard, then I agree we will lose them. But if they want to be the best basketball players they can be and make the NBA, why pigeonhole yourself into a role? Playing with and practicing against elite players is itself preparation for the NBA. That's why Duke and Kentucky are so attractive. It shouldn't scare Carey and Nembhard that they have competition at UConn.

Reaction Score
And the pack has turned on Jalen Carey.

Free advice - don't do that. You don't know what you're talking about and you look stupid.
I haven't turned on him yet. But I'm ready to as soon as he next us hahaha

Reaction Score
I havent turned on him yet, and wont regardless of his decision!! All i'm saying is yea we have more competition at Uconn, but thats a good thing. You want to play against better talent to become better. You want to be challenged so you can be the best player that you can be. Yea he'll have an easier path at Cuse,but will he get better? Will he be challeneged and grow? Will he even have a good team? Being on a good team does more for your NBA stock than being on a team that cant make the tournament. I could see use being one of the best teams in the country with Jalen, and AG being the main pieces in the backcourt. I just hope he can see that too.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
It isn't incredibly difficult to see why Nembhard and Carey are now cooling, but I was hoping to get 2 of the 3. Maybe Ollie can talk to Carey and help him understand that Akinjo's commitment isn't a detriment to him or PT.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This last pitch to Carey is HUGE. We need him to be the impact player in this class. I hope KO gives him the absolute full court press and lock this one up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom