Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You would think if you're an NBA prospect who's 1 day away from the start of a new season you wouldn't be racing scooters around campus.

Nobody saying the kid deserves anymore punishment than he's likely to get, i.e. 1 game suspension, but it was a pretty stupid thing to do.
But it's not any other twenty something year old. It's an elite basketball player, with the talent to play professionally, doing a stupid thing the day before his season was to start. That's why the word astonishing is justifiable.

Had this been 4 months ago in the middle of the summer, it would have been stupid, but not astonishingly stupid. I think most people recognize that the timing is what makes this a big deal. I don't believe he misses a game if this happens in June/July/August.

One game is a fair punishment. He's lucky he wasn't hurt, or worse, someone else was hurt.
I'm not defending Jalen's behavior.
Most important thing is that nobody got hurt. Next most important thing is maybe the kids will understand actions have consequences and learn from this.

If this was some kid from Pedunk Idaho people in this forum wouldn't give a darn about it and anyone making it an issue would be laughed off The Boneyard. If this was a Cuse player we'd be nailing him.

I reserve astonishing for things like a parent leaving a kid or animal in a car in 100 degree heat. Everyone does something stupid not expecting something bad to happen. That's why AFV is filled with people doing stupid things that go wrong. To take the position that it's ok to do this in the summer and not before the first game subverts the activity to a viewers personal needs.

Reaction Score
A coach shouldn't have a kids back for a nothingburger like this? Suspend the kid for 1 game....fine.....anything beyond that is stupid in my opinion unless more comes to light than a young man crashing his scooter and taking off.....he showed bad judgement and that was his biggest crime. If Jalen is remorseful and no history of trouble what is the pointing in dragging this out.
This is NOT a nothing burger. The kid is suppose to be the leader of the team. He is suppose to be the one that the rest of the team looks to and follows his lead.

His complete lack of awareness of who he is and what that means is pretty astounding. Street racing though campus. Running from the scene. He failed his teammates, his leadership responsibility and just plain common sense, heck, you can throw in the university which he just gave a black eye. He could have ended his career. For what? Any word you care to use probably fits.

Reaction Score
I put this somewhere closer to getting a speeding ticket or driving without a license than stealing laptops but it was irresponsible and dumb and as PAL says he is supposed to be the leader. I don’t want him kicked off the team or anything but a suspension. Extra running and maybe a mandatory safety school session would be appropriate.

Reaction Score
Issue was with the word astonishing. You're allowing your subjective need for a successful season to create hyperbole.

If this was any other twenty something year old this would be a normal day in the USA.

Easy with the armchair psychology. If you don't think it's "astonishing" that a kid would be so dumb in this circumstance as to get himself held out of the first game then we see things differently, that's it. It's got nothing to do with any "subjective need" of mine. I'm long past the point where the success or failure of a college basketball team affects my life in any way.

And he's not "any other twenty something[.]" That's the entire point.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is NOT a nothing burger. The kid is suppose to be the leader of the team. He is suppose to be the one that the rest of the team looks to and follows his lead.

His complete lack of awareness of who he is and what that means is pretty astounding. Street racing though campus. Running from the scene. He failed his teammates, his leadership responsibility and just plain common sense, heck, you can throw in the university which he just gave a black eye. He could have ended his career. For what? Any word you care to use probably fits.
Presidential!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Easy with the armchair psychology. If you don't think it's "astonishing" that a kid would be so dumb in this circumstance as to get himself held out of the first game then we see things differently, that's it. It's got nothing to do with any "subjective need" of mine. I'm long past the point where the success or failure of a college basketball team affects my life in any way.

And he's not "any other twenty something[.]" That's the entire point.
Look counselor, Jalen is a person who was assigned the designation "leader". That doesn't make him leadership material. Or perhaps his leadership qualifications are limited. The world is filled with examples of people given that designation who lack wisdom.

I find it very astonishing that people are astonished when leadership fails.

Reaction Score
Most important thing is that nobody got hurt. Next most important thing is maybe the kids will understand actions have consequences and learn from this.

If this was some kid from Pedunk Idaho people in this forum wouldn't give a darn about it and anyone making it an issue would be laughed off The Boneyard. If this was a Cuse player we'd be nailing him.

I reserve astonishing for things like a parent leaving a kid or animal in a car in 100 degree heat. Everyone does something stupid not expecting something bad to happen. That's why AFV is filled with people doing stupid things that go wrong. To take the position that it's ok to do this in the summer and not before the first game subverts the activity to a viewers personal needs.

I didn't say it was okay to do it in the summer. In fact I said it was still a stupid thing to do.

Leaving your kid in the car is a stupid thing to do. Leaving your kid in the car in 100 degree heat is an astonishingly stupid thing to do.
The use of the word is simply a way to differentiate the behavior due to the timing (or temperature). Am I surprised he was racing a scooter? No. Am I greatly surprised that he was doing it the night before the season starts? Astonishingly so.

Look counselor, Jalen is a person who was assigned the designation "leader". That doesn't make him leadership material. Or perhaps his leadership qualifications are limited. The world is filled with examples of people given that designation who lack wisdom.

I find it very astonishing that people are astonished when leadership fails.

He didn't use the word "leader" once in his post. Why would you use it 4 times to create a strawman?

It's not his leadership at issue. It's his judgment.

Considering you've created one straw man, and misrepresented my position, it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Reaction Score
Working on campus in student life, I am aware of other students (non-athletes) who have faced the similar legal consequences as Jalen for this type instance; there are more than several scooter accidents a year on campus, to the point where much discussion has been had to determine if restrictions of some type regarding use need to be put in place; its sometimes really a mess during class change times; kids riding down Fairfield Way during class change at 20+mph. It seems more of these incidents are scooter versus pedestrians on sidewalks & roadways.

The obvious difference in this case being heightened due him being a basketball player, you roll in the publicity and additional "team" consequences which goes with the turf.

Reaction Score
Dear lord there is nothing remotely astounding about about a 20 year old kid crashing his scooter and taking off.....it was a mistake that reflects poorly on his decision making and that's it. It's not a "Black Eye" for UConn. As a stand alone incident it's minor and I would guess it taught him a valuable lesson that may make him a better person in the end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dear lord there is nothing remotely astounding about about a 20 year old kid crashing his scooter and taking off.....it was a mistake that reflects poorly on his decision making and that's it. It's not a "Black Eye" for UConn. As a stand alone incident it's minor and I would guess it taught him a valuable lesson that may make him a better person in the end.
It is absolutely a black eye for UConn. Unless you think having our best basketball player "arrested" is considered good news. It will be mentioned on every CBB sports show or CBB web site. And it is not a story that puts UConn in a good light. He is not some random 20 year old. It will pass quickly but it incredibly bad judgement by JA

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Doesn't this kind of stuff happen almost every day on every large campus? He shouldn't have left the scene though. I guess that's the worst issue. Kids being kids.
The problem is he is not a kid. He is 22 years old. Accident yes things happen; leaving the scene very wrong even if only he was involved.

Reaction Score
A coach shouldn't have a kids back for a nothingburger like this? Suspend the kid for 1 game....fine.....anything beyond that is stupid in my opinion unless more comes to light than a young man crashing his scooter and taking off.....he showed bad judgement and that was his biggest crime. If Jalen is remorseful and no history of trouble what is the pointing in dragging this out.

Totally agree. I think that punishment fits the situation.

I had an incident with my 68 Chevelle the summer before my freshman year in college. I was driving around with my friends, we had been at a party. It was a rainy day and I just brushed a parked car.
My buddy rolled down the window and said no problem no damage, so I moved on. The problem was, I did in fact nick the parked car ever so slightly and a police officer witnessed the whole thing. He pulled me over and I got hit with evading responsibility. My attorney got it dropped to a lessor charge, Failure to leave name and address. During my Freshman year my Dad sold my Chevelle while I was away. Lesson learned-I deserved it. Although I wasn't happy about it, my Dad had to do what Dad's have to do. KO's got to do what KO's got to do!! These are priceless lessons that mold us into men! Remember that group - Boy's to Men!

Reaction Score
The problem is he is not a kid. He is 22 years old. Accident yes things happen; leaving the scene very wrong even if only he was involved.

Why is it wrong? I've said this again and again: in my area, police say you can leave the scene? Is it wrong in Massachusetts, where he's from? I get it that it's wrong to leave debris in the middle of the road. But is it wrong to leave? What's the legal statute here?

Reaction Score

YES, everyone understands this and has said that a few times! We all understand that he isn't some kid from Pedunk Idaho, so why bother repeatedly making this point?

Many of us are disappointed in the fact that after last season, and the way it all fell apart so quickly, a night before the start of the season he can't just be home playing video games or watching movies. That's what is disappointing

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Heck, there's a 70 year old in the W House grabbing pu@*ies .....not gonna worked up about a college kid crashing a moped and taking off. He made a mistake, will pay whatever fine is assessed, learn a life lesson and move on.
JSMH
Get a job with The Courant

Reaction Score
I think you don't suspend him for tonight's game....KO sends the message I have your back on this but don't make me look stupid.....You made a dumb mistake, you have to pay the price with a court appearance and public ridicule but I believe in you so prove me right.

He made a mistake by leaving the scene but little harm occurred in the scheme of things, I thinking suspending him just drags this out and makes it worse than it is. If he makes another mistake then a different story.
The Coach is a defacto parent. Whatever decision Ollie makes will be in Jalen's best interest, and not the fans. This here fan is willing to lose a game to redirect and refocus Jalen. It was a minor incident but could have been much worse. He's been given the best reprieve he could have, by not getting injured or injuring someone else. Its up to Ollie to get him to realize and understand that.

In this specific matter I support the Coach more than Jalen.

C

Chief00

It is absolutely a black eye for UConn. Unless you think having our best basketball player "arrested" is considered good news. It will be mentioned on every CBB sports show or CBB web site. And it is not a story that puts UConn in a good light. He is not some random 20 year old. It will pass quickly but it incredibly bad judgement by JA
Jalen may have more physical talent than Bazz but not the inner focus on competitive basketball. That has not presented itself in a meaningful way. When I see the stuff that goes on around the country though I always think we make too much of a 20 year old’s mistake at UConn. Was an arrest consistent with how the Librarian’s son would have been treated?

Reaction Score
Jalen may have more physical talent than Bazz but not the inner focus on competitive basketball. That has not presented itself in a meaningful way. When I see the stuff that goes on around the country though I always think we make too much of a 20 year old’s mistake at UConn. Was an arrest consistent with how the Librarian’s son would have been treated?
Yes.

He was charged with a misdemeanor. He's not the victim, let's not make him out to be.

Reaction Score
Why is it wrong? I've said this again and again: in my area, police say you can leave the scene? Is it wrong in Massachusetts, where he's from? I get it that it's wrong to leave debris in the middle of the road. But is it wrong to leave? What's the legal statute here?

What's confusing here? You keep asking this why? You don't have google? Whether it's allowed in Mass is irrelevant. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0189.pdf

EVADING RESPONSIBILITY

A motor vehicle operator who is knowingly involved in an accident must stop and render assistance as may be needed and give his or her name, address, and operator's license and registration number to any injured person, officer, witness of the accident, or owner of damaged property.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys need to get a life. He was racing scooters! He wasn't assaulting people or stealing or dealing drugs.

He made a bad decision racing a scooter as he could injure himself and he made a bad, but spontaneous decision to take off after crashing the scooter. He made a couple of mistakes and I'll bet he has learned a good lesson as all of us did in our college years. This incident should make him a better person and a better leader.

Reaction Score
After reading through 297 posts, I believe I only saw 1 of them that talked about the fact that no one was injured, and I don't know if he was referring to an innocent bystander or one of the players on the scooters. Think about what the reaction would be if the title to this post read: Jalen involved in scooter accident, sustains patella fracture, out for the year; future uncertain." Then ask yourself how you would react differently to this news. He's damn lucky he could walk away from it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Some of you guys need to get a life. He was racing scooters! He wasn't assaulting people or stealing or dealing drugs.
Who has equated those things?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A summons is equivalent to an arrest. The difference is that, instead of being taken in and processed at that point, you get the summons on the scene and are told to report to court on a specific future date. In both scenarios, Jalen has criminal case pending in the system.

That's correct. It's just a traffic ticket, folks. Now everyone have an adult beverage of your choice and chill a bit in anticipation of a beatdown over what Gavin Keefe of the NL Day calls an "Ivy League team."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom