Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident

Reaction Score
I didn't read that they left it in the middle of the road. Are you sure about that?

From Courant plus eyewitness visual from dorm room @ Brien McMahon Hall (not me but part of the debris field was the scooter)...

>>“Witnesses on scene said the four men were racing while heading south on Hillside Road near the intersection with Gilbert Road, the report said. When Adams, 21, crashed, he hopped onto the back of another scooter, the report continued. Witnesses removed “a large field debris” from the road traffic could pass through.

“Officers soon located four males and three scooters that matched [witnesses’] description at a nearby business,” the report said. “Adams admitted to engaging in a race with three other drivers before crashing the scooter and leaving the scene.”<<

There were a lot of witnesses based on location. It is what it is... dumb move, deal w/ it appropriately and move on.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The incredibly overpaid UConn public safety machine makes it hard for me to GAS when the school starts crying poverty.
The incredibly overwrought language in your post makes it hard for me to GAS when you share your opinion.

Life, including all things UConn basketball-related, is a festival of imperfection, suboptimal behaviors, hand-wringing, finger-pointing, denial, delusion, self-righteousness, and, here, 200+ generally unhappy posts as the season opens.

Big deal or not, is there anybody here who thinks scooter racing was or is a good idea going forward?

I'm hoping for a season of good on-court decision-making, and hoping therefore for the same off-court where there's less defense trying to force bad decisions.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am leaving and taking the Cessool with me.
Too late. Your cesspool stench has already ruined a perfectly harmless thread!

Reaction Score
You don't think it's wrong to leave the scooter in the middle of one of the busiest roads on campus and jump on the back of another scooter and take off? This isn't a capital offense in any stretch of the imagination but c'mon.
Upstater would t care if he shot Ollie at center court at halftime. As long as he wears national flag blue it’s ok.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Upstater would t care if he shot Ollie at center court at halftime. As long as he wears national flag blue it’s ok.
I guess I’m alone in finding humor with your name, this thread, and your position about the incident.

You should change your name to fly. Any time sh happens to the men’s program you appear.

Reaction Score
I think you don't suspend him for tonight's game....KO sends the message I have your back on this but don't make me look stupid.....You made a dumb mistake, you have to pay the price with a court appearance and public ridicule but I believe in you so prove me right.

He made a mistake by leaving the scene but little harm occurred in the scheme of things, I thinking suspending him just drags this out and makes it worse than it is. If he makes another mistake then a different story.

Reaction Score

And the resident knee-jerk reactionary panic-driven hyperbolic exaggerator chimes in. How's Shaka doing?

Reaction Score
I think you don't suspend him for tonight's game....KO sends the message I have your back on this but don't make me look stupid.....You made a dumb mistake, you have to pay the price with a court appearance and public ridicule but I believe in you so prove me right.

He made a mistake by leaving the scene but little harm occurred in the scheme of things, I thinking suspending him just drags this out and makes it worse than it is. If he makes another mistake then a different story.

That’s the exact opposite of what a coach should do at any level.

Reaction Score
Without trying to sound like an old man yelling at a cloud, the lack of judgment here is pretty astounding. A lot of lip service being paid to the chip on their collective shoulder and the purported leader of the team can't even be eligible for the first game of the season. Bodes well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Without trying to sound like an old man yelling at a cloud, the lack of judgment here is pretty astounding. A lot of lip service being paid to the chip on their collective shoulder and the purported leader of the team can't even be eligible for the first game of the season. Bodes well.
If you think his lack of judgement is astounding you indeed sound like an old man.

Reaction Score
Indefinite suspension.
I meant I’ve heard he’s for sure suspended for tonight’s game. I understand the whole “day to day” indefinite suspension that Ollie/reports have labeled it.

Reaction Score
If you think his lack of judgement is astounding you indeed sound like an old man.

Hey it's my #1 fan.

The bottom line appears to be that he could not keep himself eligible to play in the very first game of the season. If you're in the crew that thinks that's cool then more power to you. You'll probably also be telling us why it's okay that they're 2-9 in a month.

Personally, if I was as committed to having a successful season as these kids have been saying they are, I would have figured out how to be on the court for the first game. That's just me, though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hey it's my #1 fan.

The bottom line appears to be that he could not keep himself eligible to play in the very first game of the season. If you're in the crew that thinks that's cool then more power to you. You'll probably also be telling us why it's okay that they're 2-9 in a month.

Personally, if I was as committed to having a successful season as these kids have been saying they are, I would have figured out how to be on the court for the first game. That's just me, though.
Issue was with the word astonishing. You're allowing your subjective need for a successful season to create hyperbole.

If this was any other twenty something year old this would be a normal day in the USA.

Reaction Score
I know you're probably tired of my routine but none of this is good. A lot of people have been hoping and expecting Jalen will turn into Kemba and Bazz and it's just not going to happen. He's not a bad kid he just doesn't have anywhere near the drive of those guys. I hoped the switch would flip but don't think it's happened.

Worst I've ever felt going into a season.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I know you're probably tired of my routine but none of this is good. A lot of people have been hoping and expecting Jalen will turn into Kemba and Bazz and it's just not going to happen. He's not a bad kid he just doesn't have anywhere near the drive of those guys. I hoped the switch would flip but don't think it's happened.

I don't feel bad about the season at all, in fact, I'm excited and hopeful.

However, I do agree with you that Jalen simply does not have that drive Kemba and Bazz had. It was obvious to me last year, both on and off the court. I like Jalen's game, and he's a great player when he wants to be... however, he does not flip that switch often enough, or at all. I think CV and AG have a better chance of reaching that Kemba/Bazz/Price/Boat echelon.

Reaction Score
That’s the exact opposite of what a coach should do at any level.
A coach shouldn't have a kids back for a nothingburger like this? Suspend the kid for 1 game....fine.....anything beyond that is stupid in my opinion unless more comes to light than a young man crashing his scooter and taking off.....he showed bad judgement and that was his biggest crime. If Jalen is remorseful and no history of trouble what is the pointing in dragging this out.

Reaction Score
A coach shouldn't have a kids back for a nothingburger like this? Suspend the kid for 1 game....fine.....anything beyond that is stupid in my opinion unless more comes to light than a young man crashing his scooter and taking off.

You tell the kid that he put himself in a bad situation and made a mistake. He is held to a high level and his actions put himself before the team. I would suspend him one game.

Reaction Score

I am maintaining some level of cautious optimism for the next couple hours and maybe they'll run Colgate off the court and we'll all go home happy but if someone told me my life depended on the accuracy of my prediction for the season I would say that they're going to lose a lot of games and not be very good. I expect Portland to play out largely like Maui did last year - they'll be down 18-4 at the first media timeout against Oregon.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A coach shouldn't have a kids back for a nothingburger like this? Suspend the kid for 1 game....fine.....anything beyond that is stupid in my opinion unless more comes to light than a young man crashing his scooter and taking off.....he showed bad judgement and that was his biggest crime. If Jalen is remorseful and no history of trouble what is the pointing in dragging this out.
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that he and other teammates have been racing all over campus on these things, risking real physical injury. Leaving the crashed scooter behind is just the legal issue, KO has to get these kids to wtfu.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unless there's more to the story, I doubt the suspension will go beyond tonight's game. But that's what you said you disagreed with initially; have you come 'round to seeing the sense in that?

It's about setting the tone and setting expectations. Every situation is different, but given where we are and who Jalen is to this team--or at least who he is supposed to be--I think this is absolutely the right call. I share many of the reservations about Jalen's attitude that others have expressed and what I have seen so far this season, including courtside vs. Providence, has not done much to change that. I will admit that I had many of the same reservations about Bazz's attitude, but I also agree with those who think Jalen has a ways to go until he is mentioned in that company.

In any event, I am looking at this as a blessing in disguise. Perhaps Jalen shouldn't have needed a wake up call, but if he did, I am hoping that this is it--and it's a relatively benign one at that. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the team looks like without him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Issue was with the word astonishing. You're allowing your subjective need for a successful season to create hyperbole.

If this was any other twenty something year old this would be a normal day in the USA.

You would think if you're an NBA prospect who's 1 day away from the start of a new season you wouldn't be racing scooters around campus.

Nobody saying the kid deserves anymore punishment than he's likely to get, i.e. 1 game suspension, but it was a pretty stupid thing to do.

Reaction Score

But it's not any other twenty something year old. It's an elite basketball player, with the talent to play professionally, doing a stupid thing the day before his season was to start. That's why the word astonishing is justifiable.

Had this been 4 months ago in the middle of the summer, it would have been stupid, but not astonishingly stupid. I think most people recognize that the timing is what makes this a big deal. I don't believe he misses a game if this happens in June/July/August.

One game is a fair punishment. He's lucky he wasn't hurt, or worse, someone else was hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom