Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 71 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...But there is no amount of talent that makes sense to start them both on minute 0.

Hypothetical: Both PG's start and one picks up two cheapies in the first 5 min and has to sit the rest of the half, who is spelling the other and running the offense when the other's typical rest rotation comes up? Purvis? Hamilton? Is the chaos of whoever is running that set worth the risk? Adams can play 25+ min off the bench, staggering with Gibbs.

I seem to recall we've started two points before.

Ricky & Khalid
Bazz & Kemba
Boat & Bazz

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I seem to recall we've started two points before.

Ricky & Khalid
Bazz & Kemba
Boat & Bazz

I'm pretty sure Bazz came off the bench in 2011. Jlamb started at the 2 (at least down the stretch) and when Bazz came in Kemba rolled off ball. A lot of it had to do with conserving Kemba's energy and letting him stay in the game. Someone check me on this because I'm going off of memory.

Bazz and Boat had a marginally viable ball handler off the bench in Tsam and not a lot of options otherwise (such as a Purvis). If Purvis was on that team I'm fairly confident Boat would have come off the bench in a similar scenario still playing 25-28 mpg and rolling Bazz to the 2.

My point, prior to the SCJ revelation, was that we really don't have a third ball handler. It also remains to be seen what the drop off from Adams to SCJ is. Maybe we don't want SCJ getting minutes at all and the way to go about doing that is by bringing Adams off the bench.

I don't remember how we handled the Khalid and Ricky and a 3rd guard in the rotation. I know Rash Jones was getting spot minutes on that team and Al Mouring played significant minutes but I don't remember who had the rock if both sat.

If only I had the free time of a pending divorce and there was a website with a complete catalog of Uconn games to review such information I could probably get to the bottom of this.

I'll also add that there are far more examples of talented freshman PG coming off the bench in our history than starting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@OkaForPrez yes, Bazz came off the bench in 2011. I don't think he started a single game if my memory is correct (which it usually is unless it's something important).

However, I don't agree with your reasoning - you can't bring one ball-handler off the bench simply because you fear foul trouble. Personally, I'd be fine with it if KO put the two foul rule (for guards) away and never re-visited it. The rule should be two fouls for a big, three for a guard, IMO.

If it's a couple fouls in the first few minutes, just roll with Adams or Gibbs until the ten minute mark and then bring the other back in. I don't think it's something we'll have to worry about (granted, I maintained this same position when Napier went to the bench against Nova in 2014, and it worked out for Ollie then).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't remember how we handled the Khalid and Ricky and a 3rd guard in the rotation. I know Rash Jones was getting spot minutes on that team and Al Mouring played significant minutes but I don't remember who had the rock if both sat.

Quite often, it was EJ Harrison. In the 99 NCAA tourney, he didn't score in his 7 or 8 minutes in the pivotal Gonzaga game, but had 2 boards, including a critical offensive board, a couple steals, a couple dimes and no turnovers. I seem to recall he also played a lot and scored in double digits in one of the earlier games that tourney -- can't remember which, maybe Iowa? -- to spell Ricky. Rash mostly played the 2 or 3 that year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the deeper this team proves to be the better chance for the 2 foul rule to go away. I can see why he stays with it since it worked for a guy he's close with. But at times it can really put you in a hole. And let's be honest throwing that "rule" away with a guy like Brimah last year would not have been a good idea.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@champs99and04 Not so much fear of foul trouble as a general rhythm thing with a foul management bonus. Let the freshman watch the way the game is being called and the defense is playing from the bench before you bring him in to run the point. Presumably Gibbs goes to the 2 when they are both on the floor. Adams off the bench gives the other team 1 look and then as soon as they are starting to get comfortable with it you switch to a different look.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 Not so much fear of foul trouble as a general rhythm thing with a foul management bonus. Let the freshman watch the way the game is being called and the defense is playing from the bench before you bring him in to run the point. Presumably Gibbs goes to the 2 when they are both on the floor. Adams off the bench gives the other team 1 look and then as soon as they are starting to get comfortable with it you switch to a different look.

OK, yeah, I agree. Unless Adams is Kyrie Irving, he'll come off the bench. The question will be who plays crunch-time.

Reaction Score
. . . 2 foul rule . . . But at times it can really put you in a hole . . .
Mau - we gotta disagree on this one.
If there is one guy in the history of UConn that could play under control, with fouls, it was Okafor. JC pulled him w/2 fouls EARLY in that Duke semi. We end up winning based on the strength of Okafor's 2 foul rule sit down. If it was good enough for Okafor, it's good enough for Brimah, who will never have the body control and discipline of Oak.
Theory is that you'd rather have your guy available down the stretch.
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like the rule, and I hope Ollie sticks with it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
adams loves the camera lol... i think he's going to be better defensively than offensively earlier on in the season... his offense will come and with this team, hopefully, he can slowly develop his game

Reaction Score
Mau - we gotta disagree on this one.
If there is one guy in the history of UConn that could play under control, with fouls, it was Okafor. JC pulled him w/2 fouls EARLY in that Duke semi. We end up winning based on the strength of Okafor's 2 foul rule sit down. If it was good enough for Okafor, it's good enough for Brimah, who will never have the body control and discipline of Oak.
Theory is that you'd rather have your guy available down the stretch.
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like the rule, and I hope Ollie sticks with it.

I agree I have never been against it and had faith in JC with it. All good here.

Reaction Score
He uses his left hand a bunch of times in the video...

Not to finish. Not even on the left side of the bucket. I've actually had the same observation in just about every video I've seen of him.

Not that I think it's anything to worry about - I haven't seen nearly enough of the kid to have any sense of whether or not he's got a left hand.

Reaction Score
Not to finish. Not even on the left side of the bucket. I've actually had the same observation in just about every video I've seen of him.

Not that I think it's anything to worry about - I haven't seen nearly enough of the kid to have any sense of whether or not he's got a left hand.

he's very right dominant, its obvious how strong he is with that hand getting in the lane and finishing with a wide variety of double pumps + reverses. The kid will need massive skill work and is why I dont really think he is a 1&done material. His left hand is important in pickn roll play as well as not forcing himself into trouble and turning the ball over a ton ( which he will do, freshman rarely play at multiple speeds... thats for pros).

I see his impact next season as an explosive semi transition -- transition player who will create offense out of nothing, effortlessly at times. And it will be instant. However in the halfcourt its gonna be tough for him attack d1 defenses the way he did in prep, he needs time in the film room and experience. similar to walker playing like a ferrari in 09. As the season goes on he will become remarkably better i believe, quickly (as far as half court execution).

All that said still like him as the kid with highest pro upside on the squad. But I would like to make it clear to other posters that he will have major downfalls, for instance defense. could go both ways on that end. He might have more defensive talent than any of us are aware of, couldn't gauge it vs nepsac comp.

Reaction Score
http://www.coxhub.com/articles/jale...19493783&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

nicely done by NERR most likely finkelstein . New highlights in there , heres a nice quote--

Along the way we've come to use a variety of catch-phrases to describe Adams' game. Whether it's been to call his game "effortless" or to say "the game comes easy to him," the bottom line was that Adams had some natural abilities that simply couldn't be taught, and that virtually no one else could duplicate.

Reaction Score
I'm usually realistic when it comes to assessing our incoming freshmen. I'm not one of those, "Lubin is the next Dajuan Blair, or Scotty Harrelson is the next Rashad".

But god damn its impossible not to expect greatness from Jalen Adams. I really think he is going to be one of the top 5 best freshman we've had in the last 10 years. Kid is just an absolute stud. There's no other way to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom