Jacobs: Ollie has hearing with UConn, has week to respond in writing | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: Ollie has hearing with UConn, has week to respond in writing

Reaction Score
Ollie has a legally enforceable contract and unless he violated it in some way like recruiting violations he gets paid and rightfully so. If Benedict doesn’t have the goods he should be embarrassed to try this. We’ll see.

C

Chief00

The school is in the driver’s seat, but I hope something can be worked out where everyone can walk away with some dignity intact. That may not be as easy as some would like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Granted, I haven't been following the Ollie saga closely, but this is news to me. What did he do?

(I know the university has claimed cause in firing him, but as far as I know there's been no determination that they're justified in that contention.)

Both camps are positive that he either 1) did enough to violate his contract otherwise why would the administration have wasted everyone's time going for just cause or 2) deserves his money because there's no proof he violated anything in his contract and a contract is a solemn oath signed with blood and gentlemen uphold their obligations.

Neither side knows anything other than random Boneyard PM whispers or whatever.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm with you in spirit, but, in actuality, a NC can be taken away. We'll all hold hands and pray that that isn't in the galaxy of possibilities . . .

Regarding the contract . . . .
Aaay.
You're not entitled to what your contract says. You're entitled to what a judge/jury/appeals court says you're entitled to.
I mean, I once heard a lawyer make an argument about what the word "is" means.

From a Michael McCann's 3/19 SI article, last paragraph:

OLLIE AND UCONN COULD SETTLE THEIR DISPUTE AT ANY TIME—AND PROBABLY WILL AT SOME POINT
Given that this dispute could turn rather ugly and public for all involved, it’s plausible, if not likely, that they will reach a financial settlement. Such a settlement would involve UConn paying Ollie a percentage of money that he would be owed if had been fired without cause. In exchange, Ollie would contractually relinquish any potential legal claims he might have against the school or its officials. In other words, while Ollie’s employment contract doesn’t have a buyout, the parties could essentially negotiate one ex post.

How Kevin Ollie could challenge UConn firing

Reaction Score
I highly, highly doubt Herbst and Benedict would fire him for 'just cause' just because they don't want to pay him. They must know more than we know. A contract is a contract. If they wanted to fire him solely because he stunk, he would've been paid still. Herbst and Benedict know something we don't.

You highly doubt that? Man, get with the program. We are already beyond your willful ignorance and onto moral equivocation.

He got fired cuz he didn't win. Period.
If the violation were anything serious we wouldn't be able to nab Hurley. Period.
Our athletic department is under dire financial pressure. Period.

They have some manufactured or minor leverage and are using it to squeeze Ollie and recover some $$ because the administration handed out a terrible awful ridiculous contract. It seems obvious to everyone but you.

Its gross. Its wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s easy for me. I don’t believe that contracts that pay people after they have been fired for cause....and I don’t mean “for cause” under the term if the contract, I mean because they sucked at their jobs, should exist. For anyone. In any profession. I know they do, but people are arguing to pay him based on some sense of justice. My sense of justice says he isn’t working for us any more. He doesn’t have to do the job. So don’t pay him anything. He got paid $6m to do a terrible job the last two years. Nobody should feeel sorry for him.

So I hope he doesn’t get anything.

Reaction Score
It’s easy for me. I don’t believe that contracts that pay people after they have been fired for cause....and I don’t mean “for cause” under the term if the contract, I mean because they sucked at their jobs, should exist. For anyone. In any profession. I know they do, but people are arguing to pay him based on some sense of justice. My sense of justice says he isn’t working for us any more. He doesn’t have to do the job. So don’t pay him anything. He got paid $6m to do a terrible job the last two years. Nobody should feeel sorry for him.

Problem with your thinking, if the coach wanted to walk away from his end of the contract to a higher paying one, he isn't exactly "free" to do so. He or the other school has to pay the but out. There is no way to spin this. It was a terrible buy out/contract Benedict gave him. You're basically advocating for coaching free agency every off season.

Personally I'd rather UConn be in the business of paying more money upfront with more manageable buyouts for lack of performance.

Reaction Score
I just don't think it's going to work that way. The program itself will be the same as far as financial inputs go, whether Kevin gets his money or not.

Not from the articles I've been reading and the stuff my Dad has been telling me about the budget woes in CT. It seems like UConn needs to save every penny they can...

Reaction Score
You don't get paid over and over and over and over and over again for what you did.

Unless that's what the contract states. Just ask the Mets and Bobby Bonilla who's slated to make a million and change per year until 2035. They can't fire Bonilla cuz he's retired right?

Reaction Score

I love how some people are roasting Benedict without knowing what he is using for cause. Talk about will full ignorance.

I am of a similar mindset to you. He stopped doing his job, or at least most of it. Ethically, he doesn't deserve the full payout no matter what it says on a piece of paper. If we want to stay legal, let's wait and see what cause is and whether that justifies nullifying the contract. If we want to get moral, let's talk about KO not doing his job. Also, there is reason to believe he bluffed the prior AD into this one sided contract. That is far from ethical. You can say KO played the game but then don't get preachy when the game plays you back.

By no logic, other than pure legality, does KO deserve the full buyout. That same legal foundation, the contract, may result in zero buyout. If KO was offered a compromise and refused to negotiate, he deserves nothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He is going to get paid. Question is just how much. Would have to think 5-7 mil.
I'd think at the bottom of that range, if not just a bit lower, but only if quick amiable settlement and payout of at least 3 years.

Reaction Score
Hopes Ollie wins the 10 million. Benedict is a sleazy dude. I just want everyone to know again that Benedict did not have the decency to show up to at UCONN scholar athletes night. This was at the half time of the SMU game and honors all students athletes who had a GPA >3. Susan was there as well as numerous High School principals and families. We value education at UCONN. UCONN is not Auburn

CL82

Reaction Score
Yall some haters just pay the man his money. The man came back and won his alma mater a chip, give him his $10 mill and hopefully in 3 years he can be sitting courtside at the national championship game decked out in UConn gear chearing for his team. He still gave so much to this program yet all yall wanna do is hate.
Hey KO, thanks for stopping by!

CL82

Reaction Score
an amicable deal ended when they fired him for cause. now it's going to be fought with lawyers and likely in a public forum.
Probably not would be my guess, particularly if KO has good representation.

Reaction Score
As long as KO got JC infrastucture in place, Blaney, Miller, players, he was doing great!!! Then as he should, he started getting rid of Blaney, Miller, and put his own imprint on the program. The results spoke to themselves. It was in a death spiral. Even KO would have to agree to the dismayed results. The question was should KO deserved another year. Well, the answer from ADD was a resounding no. I doubt that KO would be fired for cause if UConn BB was not in a tailspin. Pay KO whatever and good luck nd good bye!!!!

Reaction Score
Asking the boneyard to let things play out before wild speculation is like asking the sun to stop shining.

I hope whatever outcome is reached allows everyone involved to maintain as much dignity and respect as possible. Until then, can't we just wait and see?

Reaction Score

@HuskyHawk I like you, so know that this isn't coming from a super-confrontational place...

However

I'm very interested in what exactly you "believe" a contract to be if you don't believe this basic fact about them, keeping in mind contracts are arguably the foundation upon which our social and economic system is built upon?

C

Chief00

I'd think at the bottom of that range, if not just a bit lower, but only if quick amiable settlement and payout of at least 3 years.
Pretty much agree - if KO wants to avoid court, he needs to cover alimony and other payments to ex spouse for over $2M - then some bucks to support his life style - thinking $3.2 to $5 million.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
When you sign a contract of that magnitude you have professionals (agents and lawyers) review it and know EXACTLY what you are agreeing to. That's what those folks get paid for. Then you make sure you adhere to your end of the contract (including seeking counsel before you make moves) so you don't wind up get terminated and wind up with nothing. Keeping your end of the agreement protects and insures that you get paid if terminated despite perhaps losing a lot of games etc. You violate specific terms that are deliberately spelled out can be real trouble I believe.

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree - if KO wants to avoid court, he needs to cover alimony and other payments to ex spouse for over $2M - then some bucks to support his life style - thinking $3.2 to $5 million.
You have to think of pre-tax vs. post tax when throwing number around. If he owes over $2M to his ex and that is post-tax, he will need a decent chunk of change to cover that cost. $5M taxed at 37% federal and 7% state he brings home $2.8M.

CL82

Reaction Score
You have to think of pre-tax vs. post tax when throwing number around. If he owes over $2M to his ex and that is post-tax, he will need a decent chunk of change to cover that cost. $5M taxed at 37% federal and 7% state he brings home $2.8M.
Alimony is pre-tax in that it is deducted in coming to AGI. I think the new tax act changed that but that change won't apply retroactively.

Any accountants out there would want to correct or amplify that, feel free.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk I like you, so know that this isn't coming from a super-confrontational place...

However

I'm very interested in what exactly you "believe" a contract to be if you don't believe this basic fact about them, keeping in mind contracts are arguably the foundation upon which our social and economic system is built upon?

As a lawyer who writes contracts, I understand their value. I’d prefer a system of law that did not permit employment contracts however. Certainly not for public employees. People shouldn’t be paid to not work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom